Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galapagos Islands discussion

• 07-05-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Im off to South America next year for the year and I dying to go to the Galapagos Is.
    How much was it in total V.E.R.B.A.L??

Did ye book it there in SA or did you have it booked in Ireland??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'd be interested in hearing about your trip to the Galapagos too. How did you do it? How much did it cost? How long was it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Me too Verbs:pac:, what kinda bobs are they asking for a 1 week tour on the ground?

Is there much competition or are you forced to pay the €1k?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

you can get plenty of last-minute deals around Quito or Guayaquil or try to do it independantly. I wouldn't recommend indie though, from what I've heard. You have to factor in the 250 dollar flights out, accomodation on one of the islands that you can do that (Isabella, Baltra, Santa Cruz) then day trips with a guide (you're not allowed on your own), water taxis, taxes for each island. It ends up costing much more than a cruise.

The boats are great fun. We went with GAP and they were brilliant. Pricey though, at about 1000 with flights included. We only did the 4 day one and i really regret that, wish I'd done the 8 day one instead. You can get a big fancy boat for about a grand last minute, but those big fancy boats are generally filled with very annoying old american tourists. Ours was small and the group were all pretty young and good fun. Our naturalist was great too.

I'd recommend going with a company like GAP and booking before you leave on the internet because it'll only cost a fraction more than a last minute, and with the last minutes you generally have to pay for your own flights on top of that. Just do 8 days minimum because it's the greatest place in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Split off into it's own thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Brilliant, VERB, im definitely going to go!!!

Have seen a GAP brochure alright.

Really I need a thread called ' stuff I want to do in SA, but dont know where to begin planning for it!!!'

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

we were really iffy about whether we´d do it or not cos it´s so expensive, but everyone kept saying "when you´re in ecuador you have to" so we did. I´d go as far as saying "when you´re in South America you have to"!!!! :D

definitely go and definitely do 8 days (at least!) it´s well worth the extra couple of hundred quid. GAP are really good, but i´m sure there are other really good companies too. shop around, but don´t do it indepentandly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

I agree!!!

:D

Once in a lifetime oppurtunity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the info Verbal. Im off to Peru, Bolivia and Argentina in the summer and I had toyed with the idea of heading up north to Ecuador to go see the Galapagos. The price is kinda what put me off and it still is:(
    I just couldn't afford it on this trip as Im going to be in S.A. for 3 months and to blow a grand in 4 days would shoot my budget out of the water.
    Though it is definitely on the list, this isn't my first time to S.A. and it certainly won't be my last, I love the place and everything about it.

Hey if you get a chance you might put up a report and some pics over in the Travel Reviews and Reports forum so we can all salivate at what we are missing :D

Advertisement