Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I loose weight and still be healthy with this?

• 11-05-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im looking to drop some weight fast but not prepared to do one of those fad diets!

If I ate:

A smoothie every morning for breakfast, Homemade soup for lunch and a dinner of either stir fry, chicken and pasta, that kind of thing? Is it healthy but allowing me to loose weight too?

Sometimes Id have porridge too and I would snack on weight watchers yoghurts and fruit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Read this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876750

If you eat the right foods you can stick to calorie deficet diet and not be hungry. It is possible to lose weight with the diet you outline it is just that there are few things wrong with it. My advice is 'know your foods!'

- Smoothies are high in calories. Eat whole fruit instead.

- White pasta is a refined carb and as such it is depleted of natural fiber and it will not fill you up as much as whole grain (unrefined carb/unprocessed)

- Porrige is good as it is whole grain

- Stir frys include oil which is high in calories so be carefull. Be carefull too with what you add i.e sauces etc. which are often high in calories

- Chicken and fish are good because they are lean meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Make sure to exercise along with it. Lots of running!

dlofnep wrote: »
    Make sure to exercise along with it. Lots of running!

I agree; I say 'run like the wind'. It has helped me lose over 2 stone this year. Have a look at my log entitled 'losing the fat' in the fitness section.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Running! Im about 5 stone overweight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have you seen g'em's 8 week challenge:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255375

I've just been reading it and have gone so far as to copy and paste some into a word document to print (and probably stick on my fridge :o)

It has good advice on exercise and food even if you don't want to try the challenge itself.

• Advertisement

Running! Im about 5 stone overweight!

More the reason to run. You're not going to lose an extreme amount of weight by just eating less junk food. You need to be active. Running is the best way to lose weight. No pain, no gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

i agree with all the posts so far. another thing to be aware of is portion sizes. try and eat loads of veg and less carbs and meat without excluding them completly. if you fry alot eg stir frys etc then use 0 cal spray oil. if you have a sweet tooth things like sugar free jelly with a spoon or two of lowfat custard is great. im following ww myself and have shifted a stone so far. i love my food so wouldnt be able to starve myself. im eating similar quantities of food but filling up on things like veg instead of meat and spuds. i must admit that im not really exercising as i work long hours but im sure if i was my weightloss would be more. try walking if youre not up for running yet! good luck with the weightloss

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Thanks so much for all the replies. Im just about to read G'ems 8 week challenge now too.

I will most definately be walking and would love to be able to jog. i think Ill use the "lampost" trick. You know run to the next lampost then walk to the next one etc.

I did join ww but wondered if there was a fast way to do it?

Ive generally been having porridge for breakfast made with water. Then an apple or banana for a snack. I struggle with lunches..... But dinners are healthy stir frys with wholemeal rice or meat and veg with a tiny amount of carbs (like one scoop of mash instead of 2 etc.) Ill have a yoghurt or more fruit for snacks.

I wasnt sure if ww was better than calorie counting but calorie counting seems to be complex enough.

Oh and Ive been drinking about 1.5litres of water a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mulmulcahy wrote: »
    i agree with all the posts so far. another thing to be aware of is portion sizes. try and eat loads of veg and less carbs and meat without excluding them completly. if you fry alot eg stir frys etc then use 0 cal spray oil. if you have a sweet tooth things like sugar free jelly with a spoon or two of lowfat custard is great. im following ww myself and have shifted a stone so far. i love my food so wouldnt be able to starve myself. im eating similar quantities of food but filling up on things like veg instead of meat and spuds. i must admit that im not really exercising as i work long hours but im sure if i was my weightloss would be more. try walking if youre not up for running yet! good luck with the weightloss

I disagree. the more lean meats the better. They are very uncalorific while being very filling. You cannot go wrong with lean meats and veg.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Im just about to read G'ems 8 week challenge now too.

I will most definately be walking and would love to be able to jog. i think Ill use the "lampost" trick. You know run to the next lampost then walk to the next one etc.

Ive generally been having porridge for breakfast made with water. Then an apple or banana for a snack. I struggle with lunches..... But dinners are healthy stir frys with wholemeal rice or meat and veg with a tiny amount of carbs (like one scoop of mash instead of 2 etc.) Ill have a yoghurt or more fruit for snacks.

I wasnt sure if ww was better than calorie counting but calorie counting seems to be complex enough.

If there is a swimming pool nearby, it will help you loads too. You have to tone up as you lose weight.. I appreciate that not everybody can run - so cycling is also an option, but if you're serious about losing weight - you have to go the full hog. You need to get out at least 3 times a week and work up a really good sweat. Cut out the carbs, load up the protein..

It's also about habit - Anyone can say "Oh cut the carbs, exercises a bit" - But unless you can discipline yourself for that routine, then it's not going to work.

So - If you have a sweet tooth, you need to have something to snack on to get you buy. I buy rakeloads of fruit - grapes, pears, apples - always tasty to snack on! Eggs are also good - Omlettes, boiled, whatever.. Just make sure not to fry them in normal cooking oil. Tuna is good too.

Stay away from breads, biscuits, cakes. Think serious, and you'll do it! I'm currently dropping weight also, after an unhealthy year (college/work) - But I've dropped 2 KG in the past 2 weeks, and plan on cutting another 5KG, while building muscle over the next few months. The initial loss was quick, the rest will be slower but that's ok.

Like I said, no pain - no gain!

• Advertisement

I wish you the best of luck thinnyminnie. You will be susprised with what you can do. Try and walk briskly for starters. Then just try and jog a little for as long as you can then go back to walking. When you get your breath back jog some more. Just a little bit of jogging will be the equivilant to a lot of walking. Try and aim to break a sweat.

Calorie counting is not hard at all. But listen start by educating yourself about food first i.e what your body needs Protein - Fat - Carbs. Find out the best source of these. If you stick to the best sources of these and not the processed, refined, (bad) fatty, salty rubbish with the right portions and balance you will be taking in the correct amount of calories unbeknowns to you. If you use the WW points system you are not really wising up about food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

your suggested plan sounds very like my WW plan. I'm a regular in and out of WW. Got to goal (lost 2.5 st in 4 months) after having my son, but was pg again just after I got to goal. Second babs is 1.5 now and still haven't got back but to goal but back to WW for 2 weeks now and 5lbs already. Smoothies are fine as long as you know what's in it. A pot of low fat yog, a banana, some berries and orange juice is fine. I often have homemade soup for lunch - no cream, can add skim milk for that creamy element, bare minimum fat for sauteeing veg. Would throw in a very very small amount of rice or pasta if no bread with the soup. Have a veg salad with a fat free dressing on the side. My best WW dinners are stir fries, use cooking spray as someone else said, add a splash of water if it sticks. For sauce I either go for just soy and chinese 5 spice or a mix of orange juice, soy, oyster, ketchup - just a tablespoon of each and season.
    I can lose weight no prob on that diet. And not getting out to exercise much with 2 smallies and a fulltime job but any little helps.

Good Luck

menoscemo wrote: »
    I disagree. the more lean meats the better. They are very uncalorific while being very filling. You cannot go wrong with lean meats and veg.

i appreciate what youre saying but what i did say was to cut down on meat and carbs but not exclude them completely. yes lean meat is great but alot of people tend to eat things like mince or breaded chicken and these are the things which one should try to avoid. the method in which one cooks their meat is also something to be considered.

That impressive going. I just don't understand the need to be paying out to ww when you can do it yourself.

This is what I had today and why:

3 Scrambled eggs (good source of protein for my muscles)........... 270 calories

Slice of brown bread toast with spread (carbs for energy)............ 100 calories

Apple, banana, orange (fruit for essential vitimans)..................... 200 calories

Tuna, lettuce and peppers (good source of protien and good fat).. 130 calories

Brazil nuts (source of good fat)............................................... 550 calories

Trout and lettuce.................................................................. 140 calories

Rhubarb tart (yummy)............................................................. 300 calories

Total...................................................................................1690 calories

I need 2500 per day calories to maintain my current weight. So I am staying to 2000 or under. That along with excerise will gaurentee weight loss.

mulmulcahy wrote: »
    i appreciate what youre saying but what i did say was to cut down on meat and carbs but not exclude them completely. yes lean meat is great but alot of people tend to eat things like mince or breaded chicken and these are the things which one should try to avoid. the method in which one cooks their meat is also something to be considered.

Agreed; the high calories are often not in the bulk of the food but rather in stuff added during the food processing. That is why people should eat fresh unprocessed food as much as possible. That way it is much easier to keep an eye on the calories and in turn keep them down while not go hungry and feeling deprived.

malman wrote: »
    That impressive going. I just don't understand the need to be paying out to ww when you can do it yourself.

This is what I had today and why:

3 Scrambled eggs (good source of protein for my muscles)........... 270 calories

Slice of brown bread toast with spread (carbs for energy)............ 100 calories

Apple, banana, orange (fruit for essential vitimans)..................... 200 calories

Tuna, lettuce and peppers (good source of protien and good fat).. 130 calories

Brazil nuts (source of good fat)............................................... 550 calories

Trout and lettuce.................................................................. 140 calories

Rhubarb tart (yummy)............................................................. 300 calories

Total...................................................................................1690 calories

I need 2500 per day calories to maintain my current weight. So I am staying to 2000 or under. That along with excerise will gaurentee weight loss.

I'd go with potatoes or something for carbs over bread. Bread is a killer. Rest looks good though!

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'd go with potatoes or something for carbs over bread. Bread is a killer. Rest looks good though!

Yeah I agree with you. I had given bread up for about 3 months but I have reintroduced a little back into my diet. I would normally have porrige or weetabix for breekie.

i know that some people are sceptical about ww but its working for me for a no of reasons. firstly with weekly weigh ins i just take it from week to week and aim to lose 0.5 to 2lbs per week. you get weighed by the 'leader' and its a great feeling to be told well done even if its a small weight loss. secondly you get great support from your fellow members and i dont think i could do it without that. it is only 10e a week so i consider it money well spent. i dont bother buying many of the ww products as they are a rip off! im not saying its the best method for weight loss but its working for me:D

Yeah I agree with you. I had given bread up for about 3 months but I have reintroduced a little back into my diet. I would normally have porrige or weetabix for breekie.

Yeah I understand, cutting bread is really tough. But I find that the longer that I'm off of it, the less carb-cravings I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I find WW only works for me when I go. Something about someone else knowing that you pigged out over the weekend or that you were very good. As I said, I know exactly what to eat so that I lose weight. I'm a good cook so never have boring meals, in fact everytime I'm being good I can't believe I don't eat like that religiously cos everything's so tasty and I'm an expert at balancing points so I'm never hungry. But despite all this I never seem to stick with it unless I'm actually going to the weigh ins and classes. Anyway for me I've only another 5lbs before I'm back within 5lbs of goal and then I won't have to pay again. But even knowing that I'm paying €10 per week adds to the motivation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement