Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Problem

Options
  • 11-05-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

About an hour ago I went to turn on the light switch on the landing and got a nice jolt from it. Its a new self build and we're in it about 6 months. I went to the local hardware and bought a phase tester and as soon as it touched the screws on either side of the light switch it lit up.

a - Is this dangerous?
    b - Does this mean that power has been leaking from this switch since we moved in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Serious issue,might be that the 3.5 screw used to screw the switch onto the back box might pierced the live conductor in the process thus making the plate live,but if this is a new build I'm surprised there was no earth pulled to the switch which is common practice now days,I'd knock the poweroff if your competent and unscrew the switch and see what is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Folks,

About an hour ago I went to turn on the light switch on the landing and got a nice jolt from it. Its a new self build and we're in it about 6 months. I went to the local hardware and bought a phase tester and as soon as it touched the screws on either side of the light switch it lit up.

a - Is this dangerous?
    b - Does this mean that power has been leaking from this switch since we moved in?

Its dangerous yes. Not be life threating depending on the voltage, but. Its possible the screws have nicked one of the cables. The switch should be earthed anyway. You could remove the switch to check if the cables are nicked. You need to find the correct mcb for the circuit on your consumer panel. If your not familiar with this stuff get a sparks to remove it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

'Is this dangerous' - yes. I don't know how dangerous, but it is dangerous enough that you need to fix it. Most likely won't kill anybody under normal circumstances but what happens if a person touches the switch who has

- wet hands and/or feet
    - an open cut on their finger
    - is very old
    - is very young
    - has pacemaker
    - etc etc .

Has it been consuming electricity all along - A little bit. That is not as big an issue as the safety aspect.

Likely cause? The light switch is screwed into a metal box which is recessed into the wall. It sounds like the metal box is coming into contact with the live wire going to the switch.

how to fix? Go to your Circuit breaker panel & Turn off the circuit breaker for the light. unscrew the switch & check the wires behind it. Repair as necessary.

Don't know what I'm talking about?
    Then I suggest you get an electrician.

Anything else?
    use a phase tester to check all the other light switches and sockets in your home. - this happens rarely but best to make sure none of the others are live....

disclaimer
    I am not an electrician - If you are in any doubt about this you need to call one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

If you cannot see any damage caused by the screws check where the cable enters the box as it might of snagged on the entry hole in the box as these can be quiet sharp,the earth cable should be connected to the lug on the back box and then to the switch plate itself,if this had been the case your protective device would have tripped under these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I was after coming out of the shower when I touched it. It lifted me off the ground! I didnt know what had happened.

Im gona call the sparks back because that is dangerous. Thanks folks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Its a new self build and we're in it about 6 months.

Contact the sparks that wired it.

Advertisement