Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bilbao to derail Barcelona juggernaut?

• 11-05-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

This Wed, the final of the Spanish equiv of the FA Cup, the Copa Del Rey is played in Mestalla Valencia between Ath. Club Bilbao and Barcelona FC.

Is there a way to see it live in Dublin?

I've looked up Sky Sports and Setanta, and it doesn't seem to be there. So I expect some dodgy website is probably the best way to see it. Anybody with any alternatives suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

ok, so no one gives a crap... disna matter.

I suppose the MU bias will be disappointed ... _they_ want to derail the Barca locomotive ...

but of course that's a head on collision of two evenly matched powerhouses.

It's hilarious listening to the MU and Barcelona faithful saying: "I really am looking at the best team in the world right now!" (actually they don't always say it). I don't speak Spanish, but I've got the feeling they're saying it.

Speaking of which, are MU and Barcelona really (like, really) evenly matched?
    Ok, ok, there's another thread about all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

VISCA BARCA!

Should be a tight enough affair tbh, even though we have a good record against Bilbao recently, the likes of Llorente, Yeste, Exteberria means they can beat anyone on their day if they are up for it. Should be an awesome game, and it'll be interesting to see how Pep lines up, will he play his strongest 11 or will the likes of Bojan/ Gudjohnsen get a sneak peak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Apparently there is still a chance it might be shown live.
    Sky have showed coverage of every round and are eager to show the final, but are not so eager that they'd be willing to pay the price they are currently being quoted.
    However agreement could be reached very late in the day so it'd be worth keeping an eye on the listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I know it's repeated everytime Bilbao are mentioned but it really is remarkable that they have remained so competitive with their transfer policy. I always keep an eye out for their results and am glad that they've found some form to stave off any threat of relegation.

I'm sorry eze, but I'd like to see them win on Wednesday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Bilbao win would be fantastic but i'm not too hopeful either!

• Advertisement

To the OP: I don't know for sure if its on but if there's any way of showing it, I'm sure the Woolshed on Parnell St, will have it. They show a lot of sport and have a big Spanish clientelle, and I think the couple of times I've been in there they've had matches on that aren't on Irish tv like serie A.

thanks ArmaniJeanss, I'll look out for that on sky sports.
    good tip ref. Woolshed carlop thanks.

I found out it will be on Spanish TV's International channel, but deferred by about an hour. Kind of bad show that.

BTW it's a really late game ... it starts at 23hrs over there. Seems a manic time.

Bilbao sort of view this cup as theirs ... they won it tons - may be even the most - times in the early part of last century.

Comparing the squads, even with Barca's susp-injuries, it's just really hard to envisage a Bilbao victory.

That said, they've always been a whole-greater-than-sum-of-parts team.

Might be time to visit the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Should be a good game, and even after the billing it was given on the Guradian football weekly podcast ''basque vs. catalan infront of the king''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seems to be similar problems with this game in North America. Stations which showed all the earlier rounds are currently not scheduled to show the final.

Thread from digitalspy discussing it here.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1029828

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Voila

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/woolshedbaa.com/Whats_On.html

Nice Italian Cup Final first - then Copa Del Rey - then Brazilian thingy

• Advertisement

good one Warper thanks.
    Not sure how much you can trust those listings ... but it seems the best bet right now.
    cheers.

just checked sky sports, and it's still not scheduled there. So they're not going to do it, it looks like.

I don't know how the woolshed are going to screen it. I hope they don't switch it off at 10pm when their brazilian party is meant to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

stabu wrote: »

BTW it's a really late game ... it starts at 23hrs over there. Seems a manic time.

22hrs over there actually, 9PM UK. Standard kick off time in Spain.

Pinto
    -- A ---- Puyol
    Pique ---- Toure
    -- L
    Sergi
    -- V --- Xavi
    Keita
    -- E -- Messi
    Eto'o
    -- S
    Bojan

abuenrollo.jpg

Best result for Barca tonight would be to avoid any further injuries.

I predict a repeat of their battle from the 1984 final, Bilbao to win 1-0 and try to do to Messi what they did to Maradona...

Why is the final not in Madrid? Copa del Rey!

Anyone got a good link for this?

Warper wrote: »
    Anyone got a good link for this?
    Not sure what's considered good these days...

http://www.rojadirecta.com/ustream/tvesp1

Bad start - this is gonna be a cracker

Barca really don't do things the easy way.

• Advertisement

1-0
    Bilbao, excellent game, end to end stuff. There's plenty of goals in this. This is a good stream imo..

http://www.justin.tv/mahavirajina

That seems like a good stream but my internet connection is crap - damn you O2 broadband - so h....ard t......o w...........atch match ..........

HOLY SH*TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Goal of the season contender from our CB right there...

MESSIAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Game over I think.

It's over now

BOJANNN!!!!

Scumbags in the crowd. Ha ha. He got arrested. ****ing tramp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

What happened to Alves? That link keeps freezing on me, don't know whats going on:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What happened to Alves? That link keeps freezing on me, don't know whats going on:mad:

got hit with an empty plastic bottle or was shot by a sniper.

XAVI... Beautiful. Barca are beautiful.

Dickhead in the crowd threw something and hit him on the head. 4-1 now. Perfect free kick from Xavi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Only United can stop Barca from the Treble now.

Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Ahh here I cant believe I'm missing all this, poxy internet:mad:. Anyone know if Sky are gonna bother showing highlights?

• Advertisement

Etoo is actually sh*t.

CAMPEONESSS CAMPEONESSSSSSS!!!

Some really nice scenes there. Laporta with his son celebrating, Pep going up to all the Bilbao players and giving them a hug and telling them to keep their chin up, Henry celebrating with the team and the noise of the Barca fans is deafening!! :D

Fantastic result - say it was a good game - couldnt see it due to dodgy connection so had to watch it on flashscore.com. Barcelona are an absolute treat - all over the world they are capturing peoples imagination.

Edit: just read the last post and I have to say Pep Guardiola seems to be an absolute gentleman and to think that this is only his first year in charge - the guy is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great performance by Barca.
    The crowd were defeaning all throughout the match.
    Great to see the Bilbao fans staying on for the presentation,great sportsmanship.

• Advertisement

I feel so sorry for Exteberria, it would have been a great way to mark his last season.

LOL, Hleb now already has more trophies playing for Barca than he ever did with Arsenal, and I'd be surprised if he played more that 20 minutes this season... :D:D;);)

Tot el camp
    és un clam
    som la gent blaugrana
    Tant se val d'on venim
    si del sud o del nord
    ara estem d'acord, ara estem d'acord,
    una bandera ens agermana.
    Blaugrana al vent
    un crit valent
    tenim un nom el sap tothom:
    Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

Jugadors, seguidors,
    tots units fem força.
    Son molt anys plens d'afanys,
    son molts gols que hem cridat
    i s'ha demostrat, i s'ha demostrat,
    que mai ningu no ens podrà torcer.
    Blaugrana al vent
    un crit valent
    tenim un nom el sap tothom:
    Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Etoo is actually sh*t.

He has been rubbish for the last month or 2.

He has been rubbish for the last month or 2.

Nah, that's always been Eto'o, he'll go through stages where he scores 10 goals in 6 games, and then 3 in the next 10... He is a good goalscorer, but he relies too heavily on his team mates. I'd trade him for Torres, Villa, Aguero, Forlan, Ibrahimovic or even Rooney in a heartbeat.

I really hope Martinez doesn't go to liverpool, I already can't like Alonso for this reason.

I'll de-rail the thread slightly just to say Lazio won the Italian Cup final tonight as well on penalties against Sampdoria. I only caught the shoot-out, but the atmosphere at the end seemed incredible, even though I hate Lazio.

Did Spain used to have a two-legged cup final the way Italy did? I think Italy has now embraced the one-off final, makes it much more of a special occasion.

Also, if there is a cooler crest than Sampdoria's in world football I'm yet to see it.

Just read on marca that TVE didn't show the anthem at the start, and then played an edited version instead at half-time. If you listen to the original playing of the anthem from tonight, you can understand why!

carlop wrote: »

Just read on marca that TVE didn't show the anthem at the start, and then played an edited version instead at half-time. If you listen to the original playing of the anthem from tonight, you can understand why!

http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20090513/himno-espanol-mal-recibido/504683.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Morf wrote: »
    I really hope Martinez doesn't go to liverpool, I already can't like Alonso for this reason.
    Childish much?

capt.9edfa37332d14c0fa7d488d1dab01131.spain_soccer_copa_del_rey_final_dr106.jpg

capt.b7de9b40a5de405eafdf8c2b3d03ec51.spain_soccer_copa_del_rey_fs129.jpg

capt.98cdb9c6cb6b417497e1c186c43137fc.spain_soccer_copa_del_rey_final_mf132.jpg

3595a162219b5448717f124375e9fed3-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

7eee3f3b213c2062f26eee9410e939fd-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

510e430878d2f48aa6b8b913f8af88e4-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

815ed02ee026376225eec916d3d316a4-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

7f56801d08ad9480eaaf92b3ef61dfdd-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

40f0431c08227bca1d1587e185ace7ec-getty-fbl-esp-king-cup-barcelona-athletic-bilbao.jpg

capt.74a655f6f1ef4ca3a06cdd676333d370.spain_soccer_copa_del_rey_fs123.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement