Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy - The new Late Late Show Host

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ana ng

Darragh29 wrote: »
    He's a smug stuck-up privileged c*nt who cannot even conceal his disregard for many guests on his current show. He has no interviewing skills, watching him on TV is like watching maggots moving around on a dead animal, you just want to turn away.

Great description. Last time I tried to watch it, Jennifer Anniston was on, he hadn't a ****ing clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Sad country when this moron can get a million euro a year for being Ireland skinniest, nerdiest media person.
    It's actually around €400,000, but sure hey, what's the difference? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

legendal wrote: »

Eh, if he is keeping his radio show which already pays 400k and late late will pay the same it's close to a million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by ronbyrne2005
    Sad country when this moron can get a million euro a year for being Ireland skinniest, nerdiest media person.
    legendal wrote: »

...about 600,000 actually! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Eh, if he is keeping his radio show which already pays 400k and late late will pay the same it's close to a million.
    No, because the money he gets is for his radio and TV work, not just for radio. In 2006, he was on €400,000 a year - it may have gone up since then, but he's not getting paid a million euro. And if it is €600,000, there's a big gap between that and a seven-figure paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Uggh. RTÉ are a shower of eejits.

Smug bollix
    79579.jpg

Here's another "smug bollix":

gaybyrne_166034t.jpg

Despite that, he did a pretty good job for 37 years. I can't think of anyone right now, who would be better suited to the job than Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

probably (just about) the best of the RTE cronies that they had considered (miriam, ryan, etc)

the saturday night slot is like being the minister for finance of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Failure at trolling.

Failure at life.
    lets get back to the whole being very depressed that this man has been given the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

They'll need to buy a stronger desk now anyway with all the ****ing "hand drumming" he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I must concur with the majority of the postings thus far.Ryan Tubridy on his Saturday night show is extremely light weight,with his silly audience games and nauseating Camembert Quartet.He certainly gives no indication that he is capable of engaging in the conducting of interviews at any kind of intellectual level.Yes he appears to be seriously smug,exuding an appearance of D4 entitlement and political connections.To be fair to Pat Kenny he is excellent on the radio but he does seem less comfortable/wooden on the television presenting a largely light entertainment show outside of his natural current affairs sphere.Seriously though the decline of the Late Late Show has been marked,where are the real famous who used to appear on it?Now we are treated to the latest Z list celeb with a book to sell etc,only occasionally does the show rise to the levels of its former glory when discussing serious social issues.It will be very interesting to see if he seeks a salary increase,a matter he was noticeably reluctant to discusss with Brian Dobson.Maybe Ryan will prove us all wrong but I have serious doubts
    P.S. I am probably compromised in terms of making any real judgements on either show,especially Tubridy's as I have long since ceased watching it as I found his show so desparately light weight initially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Whatever about Pat Kenny, Pat at least served his years as a journalist and broadcaster before becoming Late Late host. Tubridy however has has all of his big RTE gigs handed to him on a plate all because of who he was related to, and now the Late Late. The smugness will be overwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

At least it's not Gerry Ryan, who I'm 100% would have gotten it had be not been so hesitant to take a paycut when the rest of the top 10 did, and then he gave an 'emotional' announcement on his radio show when he did. What a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm going to need a year to recover from this news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In fairness RTE is full of smug tossers, you can't call him out on smugness alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

WTF :eek:

Who's getting Saturday? Yawn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Mr E wrote: »
    Awful. 2 hours of gurning and audience 'games' instead of one.
    Will Clint and the boys come with him?

I hope so. I quite like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

There is no God but there is a Satan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

The fact that he is a Blackrock College boy suggests there is a bit of reverse snobbery going on here. Seriously who else was there? Miriam maybe? If she had been picked many of you would be going on about her "awful" D4 accent wouldn't you? You just can't win with some of you, eh?

I wish him the best of luck and I'm sure he will do a fine job! At least he has a sense of humour unlike the present incumbent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Koloman wrote: »
    I hope so. I quite like them.

You like Clint Valeur and his sh1t band of ****?
    You need to get out more.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Am I the only person who would rather kill Gay Byrne instead of Pat Kenny or Ryan Tubridy?
    I am?
    Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Ryan Tubridy is the best TV talent RTE has full stop.

No matter what u say, Miriam is nowhere near as polished.

Yes, many will no longer watch it for whatever the reason. Their loss.

Plank should have been made stay radio only, he is a disaster. Even when he does the serious stuff (see last friday's show) he is v quick to show a bias. He is a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

pawrick wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan shouldn't be let on TV.

i wouldnt p1ss on that seedy pervert if he was on fire. He has a face like a melted welly and needs to be hung more than saddam. Hes the worst thing to grace this planet.

As for tubridy.. my god. Typical of RTE to put such crap on TV. Chap needs to be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

A smug obnoxious turd sorry, nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lelly

Are RTE trying to push people over the edge? Another mickey mouse presenter who's probably related to someone in the know. Get him off the telly altogether and tell him to take his desk with him!!! AAAARRRRRGH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wouldn't have been my ideal replacement but I'll it a go and see what I think. If it turns into Tubridy Tonight I wont watch again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Biggins wrote: »
    ...about 600,000 actually! :D

So the Gov put a cap of €250,000 on the top jobs at the banks for fear of the damage a lack of public confidence might do to the country but Ryan Turgidy gets €600,000 from RTE :eek:

wRedtched Telefis Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ana ng

Some breaking news on this - The Vintners' Federation of Ireland have admitted that they bribed RTE to install Tubridy. A spokesman said this evening - 'We expect a huge increase in the pub trade as soon as Tubridy starts next season. This could be the shot in the arm the pub and entertainment trade need to see us out of the recession'. The Restaurants' Association of Ireland declined to comment, but a representative was seen heading to Montrose earlier today with a thick brown envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Surprise, surprise, RTE inbreeding at it's finest, it will be nothing more than Tubridy tonight on a Friday.

Now I have to ignore the Dave letterman wannabe tosspot on Friday instead of Saturday.

He should have stayed where he was bearable, i.e. on the Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Joe O'Shea was robbed.

Hardly watch the Late Late anyway but might give it a few weeks to see how it goes.

You like Clint Valeur and his sh1t band of ****?
    You need to get out more.:confused:

ha ha. clint veleur and the canembert quartet or whatever they are called played at our work 'customer appreciation day' both in 2007 and 2008. they told the exact same jokes 2 years consecutively.

i hate Tubridy. Craig Doyle for me would have been a good choice to present as he has a good sense of humour at least and not smug. Was impressed with his presenting the night of the ireland v england legends game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Profiler wrote: »

Take note everybody, this be the most intelligent thing I've seen posted...loike ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I gave up watching Tubridy Tonight because of the audience participation stuff and the paucity of interesting guests. Other than that I thought he was an OK presenter - he seems amiable, intelligent and comfortable in front of the camera. I hope he resists the temptation to involve the audience as much on the Late Late as he does on TT - it might be a right hoot for the live audience but its a crushing bore as far as the viewers at home are concerned. All in all, I think he was a good choice for host. He won't be as wooden as Pat Kenny and if he is allowed to cultivate his maverick and mischievous side and not be afraid of landing himself in trouble with the powers that be within and without RTE he might just make a good fist of the job. Be more like Jonathan Ross, less like Pat Kenny.
    If however he becomes just a safe and bland facilitator for various PR hungry shysters flogging their latest books, movies, songs, psychic powers, etc., then I for one won't be tuning in just as I haven't been tuning in to Pat Kenny for some time now.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'm trying to look on the bright side: they inflict Plank on us on a Friday and Turbidy on Saturday. From now on, we'll just have Turbidy on a Friday. Plank might show up on a current affairs show somewhere but that's what he's good at and what he should be doing. Plus, I rarely go out on Friday any more so it's good to have motivation to get back out there.

But if they give Gerry Ryan a Saturday night show, I swear I will launch a suicide bombing attack on the studio and drag Ryan's bloated, triple-chinned soul down screaming to hell with me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The way ye're all carrying on and being so worked up about it you'd swear we had only one channel to watch on a Friday night in... As William Shatner once said "its only a tv show for god sake, get a life people!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

seligehgit wrote: »
    I must concur with the majority of the postings thus far.Ryan Tubridy on his Saturday night show is extremely light weight,with his silly audience games and nauseating Camembert Quartet.He certainly gives no indication that he is capable of engaging in the conducting of interviews at any kind of intellectual level.Yes he appears to be seriously smug,exuding an appearance of D4 entitlement and political connections.To be fair to Pat Kenny he is excellent on the radio but he does seem less comfortable/wooden on the television presenting .......

The most accurate post of all imo. I am disgusted with the decision to give Tubridy the Late Late Show. And similarly to the current discussion of George Lee's objectivity with his reporting of the FF government's handling of the economy (i.e. now that he has declared for the opposition), I think having the brother of a FF candidate as presenter of the flagship RTE show is WRONG. He is hardly likely to say/do anything that will inhibit his brother's chances of gaining a place in office.

And the amount of money they are paying him is criminal. It would be fine if he was working for a private company, but he is being paid by the taxpayer/license payer. I think the show has gone downhill over the years, and this appointment will certainly not prevent it from spiraling further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

But he already has his own stupid show. I knew they'd pick him as he's the one everyone wanted the least. Stupid RTE. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

WOOHOO!!! COME ON THE TUBRIDY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

SuchALiar wrote: »
    WOOHOO!!! COME ON THE TUBRIDY!

Feck off Ryan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

The decision to give it to Tubridy shows that the standard of television generally is becoming lower and lower. I was never a fan of Gay Byrne but you'd have to say he was a true professional, even if coming across as kinda smarmy. I think a good test of a television presenter is if he or she is likely to be on the BBC's head-hunting list and I don't think Tubridy would be up there at all...nor would Kenny, imo, although I agree with other posters that he is very good on radio presenting current affairs.
    Maybe RTE would have been wiser to scrap the show altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

For Feeck sakes, i was hoping for anybody but him. I think evertyone was..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

At least it wasn't insufferable prick Gerry Ryan anyway, not the greatest choice but it could have been worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

When the betting opened on PaddyPower for next host at the end of March, Tubridy was 13/8. He then went to 2/1 and flutted in and around there for weeks. Then just over a week ago he went from 2/1 out to 10/1?! When betting closed at 22.00 last night he was 12/1....very strange?

I wonder did anyone get on him at 10/1or 12/1?

Having Tubridy present the Late Late is very underwhelming, but I honestly can't think of anyone better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Big Tone wrote: »
    The way ye're all carrying on and being so worked up about it you'd swear we had only one channel to watch on a Friday night in... As William Shatner once said "its only a tv show for god sake, get a life people!"

My licence fee is going to pay his wages, so even to watch something else I still pay him.

tubridy I cannot stand. smug, terrible interviewer, not funny, head so far up his arse It's not funny. Biggest feckwanker on television since Frank McNamara.

And the Camenbert quartet can go and shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Calm down folks or I will ban people. No further warnings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 asterix

Well if the awful radio show is anything to go by we can look forward to a Friday night smorgasbord of books cakes and knitting

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Can't believe what I just heard that this Tubridy a$$hole is host of the greatest and most longest running show from this country. It makes me sick from the pit of my stomach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Profiler wrote: »

Right
    Terrible
    Entertainment

Seriously, it does not bode well for the future of the network. If they are trying to draw younger viewers to their programmes in hope that the same folk will stick with them in the years to come, this latest move from an attraction point of view is seriously a wrong step in thinking.

Not just on this board but across others, the vast majority younger population of Ireland are voicing the same opinions and consensus. What will be left watching the majority of RTE programmes consistently will be a generation of elderly folk.
    The younger generation while maybe only tuning in occasionally just to watch one or two select items at best occasionally, they will by far flick elsewhere most of the time because of unwanted, unattractive appointments such as this possible latest one - if they don't already which I personally suspect is the case.

RTE's actions does don't do them any favours at all, now or for in the future. All joking aside, its seriously depressing news for any hope of a successful future of RTE. At this rate it looks like they will continue to crawl day to day to try and hang on to their viewers - never mind draw in any newer ones!

Another sad and depressing day in the worsening RTE network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thank God i have a life and go out on Fridays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

OK that's me never watching the LL Show again.

I find Tubridy fine to listen to on the RTE - it's where he should stay. He just doesn't have the face (or body) for TV.

He is waaaay to skinny and wearing a suit only emphasises this. Eugghh....

I supose RTE wanted to stick with the same and keep the LL as a stale boring event on a Friday night so they picked the biggest dork to present it. Think Tubridy will alienate a lot of current viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Should'a been Craig Doyle!

Doubt he would have steeped though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement