Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy - The new Late Late Show Host

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Koloman, i'm no oil painting but at least I can wear a suit without lookin like a stick insect.

BTW - what role do you do in RTE?:rolleyes:

I will say again, just because I like the guy dose not mean I work for RTE!

Look at my posts below in a previous thread. Do they look like the ramblings of an RTE employee? I think not!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055441948

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Koloman, i'm no oil painting but at least I can wear a suit without lookin like a stick insect.

As you might say enquiries are continuing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Koloman wrote: »
    Tubridy gets almost the same figures for his show as the Late Late gets now. Like it or not his show is one of the most popular shows on RTE. He can't be that unwatchable now then can he?

Any host of a live Irish chat show would get close to those figures on a saturday night.
    Why is it always a Dub getting the top job? I'd prefer someone like John Credon or Derek Davis or Myles Dungan or some new talent over Tubridy. Johnaton Ross on a friday night is much better than Tubridy Tonight and has lot of same guests, hope they dont try make the Late Late really light entertainment like Tubridy Tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

still **** though

Yeah but thats RTE...absolutely void of talent.

Who would be better? That big red monster Blaithnead? mallet head Gerry Ryan? One of those Seioge Bints?

Its a closed shop. Gay Byrne was an absolute one off and I doubt we will ever see anybody in RTE again who can handle light entertainment, heavy political debate, controversial subject matter and is entertaining to watch.

As long as Turbirdy doesnt start with that audience ****e or jumping around like a hyperactive stick insect it should be at least watchable......just;)

He's the new presenter of the Late Late.

:D

He's the new presenter of the Late Late.

:D

No I'm not and you can ask Aoibheann who's sitting beside me. rolleyes.gif (if only!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

My husband has just told me that he will never watch the LL Show ever again..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Enii wrote: »
    My husband has just told me that he will never watch the LL Show ever again..............

who can blame him.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I hope whoever does the set design for the Late Late gets a good and strong desk for Ryan to tippy tap in that annoying manner he has......wonder what noise his head would make when compared to his hands?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

I hope whoever does the set design for the Late Late gets a good and strong desk for Ryan to tippy tap in that annoying manner he has......wonder what noise his head would make when compared to his hands?:D

A pretty hollow one, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What I find odd is the fact that Ireland is full of charismatic people, yet RTE are only interested in presenters who are stiff and very much lacking in charm.

Why is this?

Is it a problem at senior management or are they trying to be as inoffensive and boring as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

AARRRGH wrote: »

Is it a problem at senior management or are they trying to be as inoffensive and boring as possible?

I would superscribe to this theory (have you a pamphlet?)

The late-late will crash and burn in my opinion, Pat just about kept things steady as for all his social inadequacies he is a highly intelligent individual and when it came to debates he managed to tip things along well.

Not only has Tubs got the same level of social skill as the plank he is as thick as two short Planks.... (FMOP - Thanks Koloman)

Chat shows are about the easiest things to watch on tv but I cannot even bring myself to watch Tubs, I'll watch the Late Late and I even get some enjoyment out of shouting abuse at the Pat and co. from my living room but I wouldnt waste the oxygen on the Tubster...no way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

If he brings along that bloody annoying band to the Late Late ill do a Niall Stokes on his @ss.

Not only has Tubs got the same level of social skill as the plank he is as think as two short Planks....

Would you care to look at that sentence again?rolleyes.gif "Think as two short planks."confused.gif

Defeated your own argument there!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

This 'closed shop' line is distinctly tired. Choosing a host for a vehicle as important to a broadcaster as The Late Late Show is to RTÉ is a daunting task. People throwing names about willy nilly, from comedians to second-rate parochial radio presenters, conveys a lack of understanding of the type of person that is required to take on such a challenging position.

Such an individual requires so vast a breadth of television and wider broadcasting experience as to make the pool of potential candidates extremely small. Factoring in additional faculties, ranging from current affairs knowledge, a certain absorption in popular culture, historical context to issues, and an ability to work with a vast range of people, have an affinity with people, and also appeal to a large swathe of a national audience, makes the pool even smaller still. Requiring an established name to boot makes matters a nightmare.

Ryan Tubridy was realistically the only candidate capable of taking The Late Late Show on. The only other person who came close was Miriam O'Callaghan, however she simply lacked the broader appeal of Tubridy. She also lacks his finesse and refinement as a professional broadcaster - she being in-tune to more specific topics, people and issues. She holds less of a broad appeal and alienates too many. She is also not sufficiently established or proven as a light entertainment presenter.

I do not know Tubridy, nor have I ever met him or work with him, but I do know that he will be a highly competent and popular host. His steering of the show I have little doubt will be a complete success, introducing a new dimension to proceedings in a manner not unlike Byrne's hosting in the show's early years - refreshing, varied and above all current and relevant. Assuming Larry Masterson's role as Executive Producer continues - a person who has injected new life into the show over the past five years or so - the Late Late could well achieve new heights if the right note is hit. Far from 'modernising' the format, going back to what it does best and has always done best, as it has done in more recent times through increased debate and topical discussion, is key to the show's future success.

How silly. Tubridy is consistently expertly tailored, and wears a suit to perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Best of luck to him.
    Heard his interview on 2FM and he came across as ecstatic and genuinely humble.
    Hope I reach the pinnacle of my abilities/career by 35!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

He's so dull.He lacks wit and spontaneity.He's smug and so middle class.his endless prattle about his boring book club.barrys tea,visits to galway.Dreadful crettin.

todolist wrote: »
    He's so dull.He lacks wit and spontaneity.He's smug and so middle class.his endless prattle about his boring book club.barrys tea,visits to galway.Dreadful crettin.

Is being middle class a crime now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Koloman wrote: »
    Is being middle class a crime now?

no, but being a cretin is!
    Koloman, whats it like running the Tubridy Fan Club on your own?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm going to give ryan the benefit of doubt and not judge till i've seen a few shows of the next season. He has the potential to be a great host.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Deflector wrote: »
    How silly. Tubridy is consistently expertly tailored, and wears a suit to perfection.

that you Tubbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

The prat just copies the American talkshow host David Letterman, even how he taps his prompt cards on the desk. He walks out onto the set the same, laughs the same, copies the mannerisims, same body language . . its absolutely pathetic, watch him !! . Clearly Turbidy spent years perfecting his Letterman routine and RTE fell for it. On the same subject everyone I have spoken to (of all ages) have said that they will never watch the late late again because of Turbidy, he seems to be one of the most irritating presenters on tv. Goes to show once again how out of touch RTE are with those who pay their wages, this clown is the best we can do for our primetime slots ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Deflector wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy was realistically the only candidate capable of putting The Late Late Show out of its misery.

Fixed it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Desk & subsequent tapping of things thereon - Stolen from Letterman
    Set and band - Stolen From Letterman
    Geeky Chic - Stolen From Conan O Brien
    "Hilarious" audience participation game - Stolen From Ellen DeGeneres
    Wonky left-tilting head - Stolen from Guy Smiley off the muppets

guy_smiley.jpg477902.jpg

100% of property of theft. 100% of Tubridy Tonight is also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tubridy was by far the best of a dreadful bunch of possible candidates.
    Some of the names being bandied about were laughable.

Desk & subsequent tapping of things thereon - Stolen from Letterman
    Set and band - Stolen From Letterman
    Geeky Chic - Stolen From Conan O Brien
    "Hilarious" audience participation game - Stolen From Ellen DeGeneres
    Wonky left-tilting head - Stolen from Guy Smiley off the muppets

guy_smiley.jpg477902.jpg

100% of property of theft. 100% of Tubridy Tonight is also.
    desk- on every second chat show, u have one or you dont. Ross has one too.
    set and band.-again, every other chat show
    geeky chic- lol. its a suit. get over it.
    "hilarious" audience participation - ellen started after tub tonight AFAIK. so OMG she stole it from him?!!!! no, its just a game
    wonky left head tilting- fair enough, he definitely stole this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Not a big fan of Tubridy to be honest, but to be fair to him, audience games and particiation have been going on on the Late Late Show for decades. Ever heard of the infamous 'The Bishop and the Nightie' affair?
    The Bishop and the Nightie Affair: A minor furore erupted in 1966 when the Bishop of Galway condemned The Late Late Show as immoral. The condemnation stemmed from a small item on the show in which Byrne was interviewing a number of couples to see how well they knew each other. Byrne asked a young woman if she could remember what colour her nightdress was on the first night of her married life. The woman replied that she might not have worn one. This response was received with laughter by Byrne and the studio audience; however the Bishop felt the need to protest against this "filthy" programme. The furore died down after a number of weeks, but is still remembered.

zuroph wrote: »
    Regarding the desk, I was talking specifically about the whole tapping-of-the-cards thing on it, which may be a nervous tic, but is more likely a subconscious reaction to seeing letterman make it "his thing"

(Incidentally, It's a weak point I made, and I don't feel particularly strongly about it, it simply irritates me. Oh, and I do know that letterman stole it from Carson:))
    Yes, I realise that the majority of shows have them, (Even Tv3 have sprung for them in the past.:D) but few are so blatantly plagiarised (right down to the 'window', the colour scheme and the panoramic view of the flickering cityscape) as Tubridy's is. I'm certainly open to correction, but I cant think of any other chat show I've seen that has borrowed so many design cues from Letterman.

20080810213401_tubridy_main.jpgPete%20at%20letterman001.jpg

Some other chat shows do have a band too, but to be as annoying as he is, Clint Velour must have really studied the insipidly clownish antics of Letterman's Paul Shaeffer carefully.
    geeky chic- lol. its a suit. get over it.
    I like Tubridy's suits. He never looks anything less than impeccably dressed. I wasn't referring to the suits. Brian Cowan wears a suit and he's about as chic as a Bulgarian weightlifter with a pair of tits tattooed on his face.
    I actually meant the whole "cool nerd" thing, such as Conan O Brien & Spike Feresten's much indulged love of things like Political dynasties, obscure cartoons, the golden age of Hollywood, lounge crooning, and their infatuation with pop culture.
    "hilarious" audience participation - ellen started after tub tonight AFAIK. so OMG she stole it from him?!!!! no, its just a game

Well, Ellen's talk show premièred in early 2003, and Tubridy's didn't kick off until 18 months later in October 2004, but that's neither here nor there, as Tubridy's borrowing of elements from Ellen came much later, in 2009, when the audience participation element of Tubridy Tonight switched from "Ryan's avuncular questioning while seated in the audience" to "full on crazy fun parlour games" with Mr Tubridy as Ringmaster.

This coincidentally, happened within weeks of Ellen DeGeneres "audience party tricks" segment airing on her WB show.

I'm not in any way suggesting that Ryan Tubridy has "stolen" audience participation. (There has been audience participation as long as there has been television audiences) It's the actual wholesale borrowing of a complete item and passing it off as your own that strikes me as sneaky & lazy. Not a capital offence, mind you, just sneaky, lazy, and it shows little regard for the Television audience's intelligence.

(While I understand that one cannot copyright a parlour game, (even one as well established as "Mr & Mrs", a copy of which which spawned the Late late nightie affair) it is unusual in this case in that Ellen's versions of the Piggy back game and Blindfolded musical chairs both appeared on separate Tubridy shows mere days after those exact games, performed identically, had appeared on TV3's Ellen show.)

It is of course possible that his researchers coincidentally had the very same crazy fun idea at the very same moment that Ellen's researchers did without them ever seeing her show.
    However, considering that it's happened more than once, I'd say that's somewhat unlikely.
    wonky left head tilting- fair enough, he definitely stole this one :)
    Wonky head? Yeah, no supporting evidence is required. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

give him a chance...who knows what he will be like:confused:
    when is his first show broadcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Ross has both, of course.

Chat shows are similar the world round. Who've thunk it. They may even borrow from each other.

what makes the late late show unique is it's live. lets see letterman do that.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of pitching a recession beating chat show to TV3/tg4, basically ripping off those garage chat shows you see in america, **** set, cheap lighting, but good guests hopefully :D

I was thinking of pitching a recession beating chat show to TV3/tg4, basically ripping off those garage chat shows you see in america, **** set, cheap lighting, but good guests hopefully :D

Excellent! Like Waynes world, except instead of booking Aerosmith and the Guy from Noah's Arcade, we could get Republic of Loose and Ben Dunne, get them locked and have live games of twister and nerfball fights.

Count me in.

exactly, hopefully build a little cult status for it and be able to attract stringer guests then. i'd love to host something like that.

benj wrote: »
    give him a chance...who knows what he will be like:confused:
    when is his first show broadcast?
    "Who knows what he'll be like"...errr...he has a radio show and a Saturday tv show.Both mediocre offerings.He's not going to morph into a witty,intelligent presenter just because he's been given the LLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Where have the Ventriloquists Dummy references been????

Snelson1lg.jpg
    This stuff really breaks me up.

This guy Tubridy, can speak properly, pronounce his words properly,doesn't seem to be a fookin' ligger who rides the corporate scene to death.

Who the fook else is as suitable.

- I've noticed that the more self-assured smug Ryan Tubridy gets, the more he has started to drop the last syllable in every spoken sentence - watch for it.... Can barely understand him at times the irritating cnut.

Anyway Ryan must have been on his knees for weeks bringing the RTE Chiefs to climax off his tonsils - he is just that bad; and they're all such w@nkers that they probably needed a break from it.........

- And while on the topic Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin will most certainly end up running RTE - Mark my words. Any girl who is willing to sink so low to advance her career will not be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

todolist wrote: »
    "Who knows what he'll be like"...errr...he has a radio show and a Saturday tv show.Both mediocre offerings.He's not going to morph into a witty,intelligent presenter just because he's been given the LLS.
    I think Pat Kenny's problem is that we were all comparing him to Gaybo. Will we really compare Ryan to Pat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Urgh, what a smarmy, little creep. Someone should defecate upon his scrawny, repulsive face.

alan4cult wrote: »
    I think Pat Kenny's problem is that we were all comparing him to Gaybo.

That was'nt Pat Kenny's problem.

Compared to that twat Tubirdy, the Plank actually wasn't too bad. One thick coat of ronseal, applied over the summer holidays, and he's good to go.

Come back Plank. Please. All is forgiven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Gay Byrne was an arrogant, grumpy old bastard. Looked down on everybody and thought we were all peasants. And then gets gifted a plum 250,000 euro a year job as head of the road safety authority. WTF would he know about stopping car crashes, that self important ****.

Pat seems like a genuinely sound fella and isn't as bad an interviewer as people make him out to be. Can't see why people slate him constantly! Makes the odd faux paus but sure **** it! Researches his stuff well too.

Tubridy is a smarmy, smug ****, born with a silver-spoon in his mouth. Also born with the self-confidence and sense of entitlement that goes with being born into a family of doctors and politicians. Watching him is car crash television; he just isnt a natural at talk shows or interviewing.
    The other two are but I just dont like that ****** Gay Byrne.

Gay Byrne was a superb interviewer.He looked down on nobody.He always mentioned he came from a humble working class backround.For my money he was up there with the very best,Johnny Carson.It's sad to see what a mediocre replacement RTE came up with.Tubridy has average talent but brass balls.That's how he landedd Gay Byrne's old radio and television slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Disease Ridden: First and Last warning. No swearing here, read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Mr E wrote: »
    Disease Ridden: First and Last warning. No swearing here, read the charter.

Dead on Eazy E, just used to spouting rubbish on these forums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This ain't after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Just_Magic

Kenny is good at current affairs. Late Late isn't a current affairs show.It's meant to be entertainment. It was the reason it was so cringe worthy whe Pat tried to be light-hearted.

Tubridy will be much better at it as it suits his personality. I still won't watch though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As far as Im concerned its no longer The Late Late Show. The Late Late was class, then it turned into Kenny Live but on a Friday and now Tuburdy Tonight on a friday. Watch out for whoever gets the Saturday night talk show slot as they will be next in line to bastardise a once great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pat seems like a genuinely sound fella and isn't as bad an interviewer as people make him out to be. Can't see why people slate him constantly! Makes the odd faux paus but sure **** it! Researches his stuff well too.

I agree with most of what you said, except about Gaybo. He could come across as being a bit aloof at times, but he was a very good interviewer of all guests.

Pat was missing the ability to be self deprecating (a trait which the Irish audience loves) when something goes wrong. Like the time he forgot the author's name. Instead of apologizing to the author and just says "jaysus I'm some eeeegit for forgetting", you could see he was genuinely annoyed with himself and had let himself down. He has loosened up incredibly since he announced that he is leaving and

Tubridy is always taking the piss out of himself, but I would think that most of this is contrived as he strikes me as being a less than modest person. All part of the master plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tubridy is always taking the piss out of himself, but I would think that most of this is contrived as he strikes me as being a less than modest person. All part of the master plan.
    Exactly how he comes across to me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Making Mary Kennedy and Marty Whelan do a blindfolded Mr and Mrs really filled me with confidence for the Late Late..

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Making Mary Kennedy and Marty Whelan do a blindfolded Mr and Mrs really filled me with confidence for the Late Late..

Depressing the way RTE just rounds up its chatshow guests from its very own canteen on a Tuesday morning.

Next week, Derek Mooney & Trevor Keegan will be playing the Mr and Mrs game....... blindfolds at the ready!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement