Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this true?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

My mate told me the other day that if you have a bet on a team to win and that team is ahead by the end of the 90 mins you have won your bet even if the other team gets a goal back in stoppage time to make the final outcome a draw,is this correct?

I'm pretty new to betting and this sounded a bit ridiculous to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

punchfail.gif

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

chris11 wrote: »
    My mate told me the other day that if you have a bet on a team to win and that team is ahead by the end of the 90 mins you have won your bet even if the other team gets a goal back in stoppage time to make the final outcome a draw,is this correct?

Your mate is wrong (usually).

Most matches are usually quoted "90 mins only" but that means excluding EXTRA time and PENALTIES not STOPPAGE TIME.

Goals scored in stoppage time are counted as happening in the 90th minute for gambling purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sometimes this is the case if a game goes to extra time, it depends on the T+C of the bet. I'm not sure re stoppage time specifically though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rich87

your mate is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i wish that was the case and I would have almost 3000 in the kitty this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

Ask him what bookies it is. It might be a special offered by one of the online firms. "If your team is leading at the 89:59 mark your selection is a winner regardless of anymore goals scored injury time" or something along those lines. Sounds plausible to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

raheny red wrote: »
    Ask him what bookies it is. It might be a special offered by one of the online firms. "If your team is leading at the 89:59 mark your selection is a winner regardless of anymore goals scored injury time" or something along those lines. Sounds plausible to me.

I would be amazed if someone would do that. It would be absolutely pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bookies always quote 90 mins play - this means normal time plus stoppage time ie excluding extra time and penalties etc. .

I suppose its easier than saying 90 mins plus whatever injury time there is or whatever but it always means both halves incl all stoppage time. Otherwise you could argue 90 mins is exactly mins so say what happens if there is 2 mins injury time in the first half - does that mean that 90 mins = 88 mins?? LOL

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I would be amazed if someone would do that. It would be absolutely pointless

Absolutely pointless? Non-sense! A bookie would get a rake load of new customers and existing customers placing more bets if they did that special on certain games. They'd make a killing. When 88 minutes are gone their traders would be ensuring that the void bets would be covered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

raheny red wrote: »
    Absolutely pointless? Non-sense! A bookie would get a rake load of new customers and existing customers placing more bets if they did that special on certain games. They'd make a killing. When 88 minutes are gone their traders would be ensuring that the void bets would be covered anyway.

Trust me man - I have been gambling for nearly 20 years - 90 mins = full match excl. extra-time and penalties.

PS I was only joking about the 88 mins thing.

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Trust me man - I have been gambling for nearly 20 years - 90 mins = full match excl. extra-time and penalties.

PS I was only joking about the 88 mins thing.

You've got the wrong end of the stick about my point. I was using the 88th minute as an example for the traders with 'x' firm to trade out incase the special did go against them. I'm not saying that this special exists but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

OP, that sounds like a special that Paddy Power had recently.

If a goal is scored in stoppage time Paddy Power will refund all correct score/first goalscorer bets etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As said above, it would only apply if the bookie in question had a special offer going.
    It's certainly not a standard special and I can only recall one or two times it has happened.

Advertisement