Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford memories - Were you there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

gscully wrote: »
    Apologies in advance...

That lad was having a whale of a time ;)

Anyway, yeah I remember that one, and the ship split in two on Tramore beach. Climbed it as a young lad.

lol!!!;):p:p

Anyone remember when the tour de France cycled through?I was in Ferrybank at the time screaming while we caught a quick glimpse of mad colourdy helmets flying past tehe....and aload of boring people before and after them we didn't really care about lol (no disrespect ;):D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Anyone remember when the tour de France cycled through?

Yep, was opposite the Bridge Hotel myself, was that the biggest anti-climax or what, the place went mad scrubbing up for the cameras but I think I remember that part of the stage wasent even shown on the TV:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

seanybiker wrote: »
    I was at that in hillview. That was some laugh.
    that one in hillview got a bit out of hand.a few people got arrested.the crowd then marched down to ballybricken and protested outside till the lads were released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i rember back in the 90tys when the beer juggernaut broke down at club la off liscence at the time,,all the good aul boys were there and they didnt miss a trick either lol any of ye rember the last time we had a proper 3 day snow shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

i remember going on strike in secondary school and marchin down to red square with the whole school

also any remember the bomb scare in the mercy secondary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

anplaya wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance lads,but who was kyle curran?either i was very young at the time or i wasnt even born at the time it happened,as i havent ever heard this before.any1 care to explain,thanks.

anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He was a young lad (can't remember the age of the top of my head) from hillview who was murdered in the fields up there by the GAA pitches. It was a shocking crime for the area at the time (still would be now) and anybody from waterford who was around at the time will have vivid memories of it. The ptich up there is now called The Kyle Curran Pitch. The man who killed him was released recently I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

thanks abouttobebanned and nolanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

TriceMarie wrote: »
    lol!!!;):p:p

Anyone remember when the tour de France cycled through?I was in Ferrybank at the time screaming while we caught a quick glimpse of mad colourdy helmets flying past tehe....and aload of boring people before and after them we didn't really care about lol (no disrespect ;):D)

I remember, I was working in the Sweep at the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭larchielads

anyone remember the bank robbery of the aib by the industrial estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

anyone remember the bank robbery of the aib by the industrial estate

Yes, I remember it. I believe the IRA had something to do with it? They got in through the roof and waited above the ceiling until the place was clear.

As a result, the security fencing was erected around the bank, and you Larchville folk had to find somewhere new to go for a 'stall' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Yes, I remember it. I believe the IRA had something to do with it? They got in through the roof and waited above the ceiling until the place was clear.

As a result, the security fencing was erected around the bank, and you Larchville folk had to find somewhere new to go for a 'stall' :D

The library opposite tesco wasn't fenced in for years after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think I read in a Paul Williams book that it was a gang with an ex-paramilitary member who orchestrated the robbery. It might have been The Athy Gang or someone like that. They dressed up as workmen and climbed all over the roof in plain view! Really good thinking in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

Anyone else march onto the pitch at Kilcohan Park at half time of a match after Johnny Matthews was sacked as manager?

Anyone else sit on the sidelines when Man Utd played Waterford in 1990? (or was in 91? - Man U won 4-0

yes and yes.
    and it was 1990, man utd won the fa cup that year and waterford united were first division champions, and it was the first game the following season when we invaded the pitch in kilcohan in protest of the sacking of the great man himself johnny matthews.
    that was waterford uniteds downfall and never really recovered since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How many managers have they had since Alfie Hale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

Nolanger wrote: »
    How many managers have they had since Alfie Hale?

my guess would be around 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bryan9879

anplaya wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance lads,but who was kyle curran?either i was very young at the time or i wasnt even born at the time it happened,as i havent ever heard this before.any1 care to explain,thanks.

Kyle was my friend and we last sat on a school bus togther drinking lucozade and haveing fun i never recovered from the shock of hearing he had been takein i never got close to anyone since then miss this man so much he was 8 when and so was i ..... and the **** that killed him got off to light as with all people who kill inocent children.... i cant say anymore in respect for my friend kyle and his family missed so much xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Am I right in saying his Killer was released some time ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

I remember the Kyle Curran tragedy. Was on hol's with parents in Killarney. It was the top story on RTE for days. All the papers too. Lived in Marian Park @ the time so were close to the area. It was a shock at the time because Waterford in those days (late 80's) was a nice, quiet place to live. To think something like this could happen here opened peoples eyes to a cold new evil reality. When we came back to town after a few days the place was like a ghost town; not a child to be seen save for the odd one accompanied by adults. I believe the killer had not been caught yet. Given it was mid Summer the place would usually be buzzing with kids just innocently playing. I was in my teens at the time & was only allowed to play soccer on the road directly outside my house for weeks. As with all things in life things began to get back to some kid of normality but the knowledge that such things could happen so close to home would have opened peoples minds to the fact that it is also a cruel world at times.

Was surprised to find out that the murderer was only 19yrs old upon reading previous posts. And that he is out of jail. Life should mean life especially in cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I remember that alright. I was fair young then. Remember seeing it in the paper alright. Think me sister was good friends with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

WMT wrote: »
    They were guys hired by the city council, during the water rates disputes i the late 80's early 90's, to turn off water from the mains outside people's houses.

I remember this cos my mam was one of the women sitting on the bonnet of the car trying to stop them driving off. and my father cemented over the mains shore outside our house so they couldn't turn our water off.[/QUOTE

I had an image in my head of a car actually full of rats!! thought it was a bad infestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

STIG83 wrote: »
    WMT wrote: »
    They were guys hired by the city council, during the water rates disputes i the late 80's early 90's, to turn off water from the mains outside people's houses.

I remember this cos my mam was one of the women sitting on the bonnet of the car trying to stop them driving off. and my father cemented over the mains shore outside our house so they couldn't turn our water off.[/QUOTE

I had an image in my head of a car actually full of rats!! thought it was a bad infestation.

My friend's mother was the first to stand in front of car. She was rolling a buggy at the time and made sure the car could not move. Myself and my mate were quickly on the scene and the Glass Factory workers were notified - Who also arrived very quickly to surround the cars. Funny times...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

FAI cup semi final 1986 Blues against Pats in Inchicore.No trouble in the first leg in Kilcohen so very few cops on show for second leg.Big mistake,there was mayhem behind the goal where Blues supporters took over the ST Pats stand.Fighting broke out and Waterford supporters threw anything they could get their hands on at the Pats supporters.There was about 8 people banned from attending the final after their faces were recognised from the papers or tv,they had to sign in at the cop shop at 3-00pm the day of the match.Cops turned up at the final in riot gear but there was little trouble bar the Rovers fans throwing a few coins over the fence at the final whistle.They were great old days,full of cider and plenty of crack following the Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Some great memories here lads.

People were talking about the Garrett fire... does anyone remember the massive fire at Power Seeds on the Dunmore Rd in the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

eiresandra wrote: »
    Some great memories here lads.

People were talking about the Garrett fire... does anyone remember the massive fire at Power Seeds on the Dunmore Rd in the 80s?

Is that where statoil is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Anyone remember the scaffolding collapsing at the Bloody Sunday peace march in 1972. The march finished on Ballybricken and there were a few speeches. Some lads climbed on the scaffold on Bescos but it collapsed due to the weight. Dont think anyone was seriously hurt but I was about 7 or 8 at the time and I remeber the commotion. I remember that night there was also a bad storm and the slates lifing on the roof and me oul fella saying to us that God was angry with Ireland!! He had and still has a way with words.

Another memory I have is when a "UFO" was seen - I was around 5 or 6. I was living in Kingsmeadow and I remember all the parents out looking at this thing. This was in the days before mobile phones and WLR. It was in the sky for ages and not moving. We were all convinced we were being invaded. Turned out it was a weather balloon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Anyone remember when Paul McGrath visited Waterford following Italia '90. I think he was at Theatre Royal or city council offices. We were waiting ages for him to stick his head out. I think he had stage-fright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

dayshah wrote: »
    Anyone remember when Paul McGrath visited Waterford following Italia '90. I think he was at Theatre Royal or city council offices. We were waiting ages for him to stick his head out. I think he had stage-fright.

Yeah, I remember that - I think it had more to do with the "hospitality" if you know what I mean!!

Advertisement