Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford memories - Were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I found a clip from that murder in 1987 on the RTE archives.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21254450-boy-murdered-in-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

balalika wrote: »
    The fire was in the factory across the road from Garrett a place called HP Chemie as far as I recall
    Heathen wrote: »
    some pics

Thats definitely HP Chemie.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thats definitely HP Chemie.

Those pics are 100% Garrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Those pics are 100% Garrett.

Cant find any other pics or much info about either fire.

I worked in Hp Chemie in the 90/00s , and that looks very similar to the office block that was attached to the factory part of Chemie ...

But if you say its garrett .. :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Yeah, I worked in Garreth for over 20 years from mid 90’s also, and there were photos of the fire on the walls up in the office block and those two were definitely framed in there, that’s why I’m so certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

He was a young lad (can't remember the age of the top of my head) from hillview who was murdered in the fields up there by the GAA pitches. It was a shocking crime for the area at the time (still would be now) and anybody from waterford who was around at the time will have vivid memories of it. The ptich up there is now called The Kyle Curran Pitch. The man who killed him was released recently I believe.

Poor lad - he was lured away to look for rabbits as far as I can remember - his name, I will never forget. Its something that will always stick in my head. I remember I used to play a bit up near st. Otteran's and what was known as the haunted as carefree kids. My mother said to me one day to stay closer to the house in case anything happened to me. I started laughing at her saying I never heard of anyone getting murdered in Waterford - the next day that poor kid went missing.

I believe your man who killed was up helping the Garda search for him. Poor kid had an awful death by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Poor lad - he was lured away to look for rabbits as far as I can remember - his name, I will never forget. Its something that will always stick in my head. I remember I used to play a bit up near st. Otteran's and what was known as the haunted as carefree kids. My mother said to me one day to stay closer to the house in case anything happened to me. I started laughing at her saying I never heard of anyone getting murdered in Waterford - the next day that poor kid went missing.

I believe your man who killed was up helping the Garda search for him. Poor kid had an awful death by all accounts.

I won’t be mentioning any names obviously but the guy who murdered that child is pure evil. He lured him up to the field and after he murdering a child he went to a staff night out in the Park Inn (open time correction on the venue) and mixed with colleagues. I think it was ABB that he worked. Like you said, he went back to the scene and was quizzing the guards and offering to help. I think he more or less just admitted it when he was arrested.

Why not name him, he was charged so, he doesn’t deserve anonymity, his name was Patrick Alan Hannigan

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why not name him, he was charged so, he doesn’t deserve anonymity, his name was Patrick Alan Hannigan

ive always found naming and shaming an odd thing, it rarely solves anything

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

the Kyle Curran murder is unfortunately a strong childhood memory that will never leave me. I didn't know him or his family but I clearly remember the whole awful situation.

a child lured away by a man to be murdered ... still seems unbelievable. I remember my mother wouldnt allow us go too far from the house after it. And your man that did it up asking the guards every day how the investigation was going.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ive always found naming and shaming an odd thing, it rarely solves anything

I actually agree, but given that I was 11 at the time and Kyle was 8/9, I remember the impact this had on our lives for a short time afterwards, it was such a high profile case at the time and also that this guy even participated in the search, he doesn’t deserve any anonymity.

I actually agree, but given that I was 11 at the time and Kyle was 8/9, I remember the impact this had on our lives for a short time afterwards, it was such a high profile case at the time and also that this guy even participated in the search, he doesn’t deserve any anonymity.

such crimes are incredibly disturbing and upsetting for everyone, they show us humans are capable of dreadful things towards each other, but are generally encased in extreme complexity, no doubt understandably upsetting, id imagine that becomes more so when you become a parent yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Only saw Kyles grave a couple of weeks ago and thought back to this. I actually can't believe that Hannigan wasn't murdered in prison or after he got out.... he only got about 9 years or something.

Here's the video of that scumbag Hannigan leaving Waterford Court House in 1987. A crowd assembled to hurl abuse at him (and rightly so).

I found this in the RTE Archives

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21255204-murdered-boy-man-charged/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Speaking about where were you when, have any of you seen yourself in the attached.....?

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/13/waterford-responds-to-one-of-irish-footballs-greatest-days/

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    Speaking about where were you when, have any of you seen yourself in the attached.....?

Jesus, what an incredible time to be alive, it was electric

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/13/waterford-responds-to-one-of-irish-footballs-greatest-days/

Great stuff. Ive spotted myself hanging out the back window of a car passing the old rogue! Think I was only 16 at the time. So much for health n safety eh? Nobody cared back then just enjoyed the craic and carefree days. I'd never have realised that there was so many cars about and the noise. Its like something you would see on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Only saw Kyles grave a couple of weeks ago and thought back to this. I actually can't believe that Hannigan wasn't murdered in prison or after he got out.... he only got about 9 years or something.

is he still about?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Never heard of that Murder and Patrick Hannigan

Very sad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Never heard of that Murder and Patrick Hannigan

Very sad

Me neither until reading this thread recently. shocked at this tbh

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Me neither until reading this thread recently. shocked at this tbh

I wasn't born when this happened but growing up I always heard about it. Feels sinister considering me.and my friends used to hang out in those fields when we were 12/13. Absolutely horrific. Some people really are monsters.

I wasn't born when this happened but growing up I always heard about it. Feels sinister considering me.and my friends used to hang out in those fields when we were 12/13. Absolutely horrific. Some people really are monsters.

Yeah same here would have been a toddler then and would have knocked about up there in my teens, again get a bit of a shudder now at the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

dzilla wrote: »
    Yeah same here would have been a toddler then and would have knocked about up there in my teens, again get a bit of a shudder now at the thought of it.

Makes my skin crawl remembering it. Would have been about 12. Lived in Marian park which wasnt that far away. Loads of kids used to play on the big green down by Hillview. It was a rude scary introduction to the evil side of life. To think a monster like that was lurking in the area. Took a few days for the Gardai to catch him IIRC. The place was deserted till they caught him. Nobody was allowed outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Makes my skin crawl remembering it. Would have been about 12. Lived in Marian park which wasnt that far away. Loads of kids used to play on the big green down by Hillview. It was a rude scary introduction to the evil side of life. To think a monster like that was lurking in the area. Took a few days for the Gardai to catch him IIRC. The place was deserted till they caught him. Nobody was allowed outside the house.

Where exactly did it happen and was the poor lad found in the same spot? Thought it was up around Mt. Sion's pitches - it really was the time innocence was lost in Waterford.

I believe the Gardaí were very suss of him and lead him along. Hard to comprehend that someone so evil could be left back into society again after something so gruesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The guards knew who it was fairly early on, he went back to the scene a couple of times and was hanging around. They just had to wait to pull him in. The fact he went to the pub for a work do after he murdered the young lad tells you everything you need to know about what kind of an individual he was/is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How didn't he get life for it ?Heard he's still around town to this day

Probably got a new identity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

How the fukc could you get a new identity and come back to live somewhere the size of Waterford? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

How the fukc could you get a new identity and come back to live somewhere the size of Waterford? FFS.

Ha ha great point. Literally everyone in Waterford knows everyone else. And even if you dont know the face of a chap, a quick "whos your man" will activate the single degree of separation in this city and you can find out who anyone is from knowing their neighbour/dog/brother and postman!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Think he was mentally ill, or that was definitely what I've heard since from my mams friends and people since when they would talk about what happened and the details of the murder itself and the aftermath.

No way a new identity would do you any good in Waterford btw, place is too small. I guess his age probably played into his sentencing too

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Think he was mentally ill, or that was definitely what I've heard since from my mams friends and people since when they would talk about what happened and the details of the murder itself and the aftermath.

You ll find most that commit such crimes have complex psychological issues, and sometimes victims to

Advertisement