Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Geopolitics

• 11-05-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

Anyone? Help?

This is what I have:

Two Essays

One on arguments in the readings

One on lectures and readings

Topics are:

Oil linked with Asian Energy Crisis
    Vietnam War
    Kosovo
    Israel and Palestine
    Iraq
    Afghanistan

Is this right? Did he give any more information than that? Tips/Hints/Sample Questions? Think the past paper will be a good guide?

I got a D+ in that MCQ exam :(.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Israel and Asian Energy grid are the ones to study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Oh yeah? I missed the Israel lecture, don't think I know enough about it really. I'm definitely going to do the Asian Energy Grid one though, yeah.

I have the powerpoint presentation for that lecture if you're interested/don't have it already.

Do you know what he means by one essay being on the readings and one on both readings and lectures?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

is oil definetly going to be linked with the asian energy grid?
    for oil would it be ok to just do the readings for it or do you have to also do iran and the asian energy grid?

the test seems a bit confusing.

i was hoping of just doing vietnam, oil and then have a look over israel?

in an email he sent out he said it would be 1 question from 3 on readings only
    and 1 question from 3 on readings and lectures.

for the readings i think you just have to learn the official view it gives and then the revisionist/critical view and compare.

ianthefox wrote: »

I have the powerpoint presentation for that lecture if you're interested/don't have it already.

No, cheers. How did you manage to acquire that?

• Advertisement

It was up on Blackboard at the start of the year. I downloaded everything before he had a chance to delete it :pac:

Well if you want it send me a PM with your e-mail address.

is oil definetly going to be linked with the asian energy grid?
    for oil would it be ok to just do the readings for it or do you have to also do iran and the asian energy grid?

the test seems a bit confusing.

i was hoping of just doing vietnam, oil and then have a look over israel?

According to his email iran and oil will be linked as each week was one topic to be on the exam and the syllabus has them in the same week

According to his email iran and oil will be linked as each week was one topic to be on the exam and the syllabus has them in the same week

ok thanks. i have a feeling he is going to give us a tough paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Allniter

Does that mean that Kosovo and Afghanistan will be the one questions as well, or linked in the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

ok thanks. i have a feeling he is going to give us a tough paper!

Yeah, I really really like this course but I think the exams going to be very tough, he seems more interested in people proving they've done every reading and can remember minute details than an overall understanding of the topics. I can see the first section questions being insanely specific and more about catching people out than anything to be honest, but we'll see. Got an E+ in the MCQ too, it was a horrible one.

• Advertisement

Yeah, seriously horrible exam. I doubt it's going to be easy going tomorrow. Oh well.

Hey ian any chance u could email me the slides for the energy if u dont mind?

PM'd.

Looking at that past paper, I can't believe how lightly last year got off compared to our exams. **** that.

Thanks! Ye i think he has it in for our class since the whole uproar about the negitive marking mcq

Although, the fact that he was going to do negative marking in the first place...he must have just hated us already. :(

Maybe he's holding a grudge from Intro to Political Geography last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is the most retarded exam, all you have is two essays, if you know; Iran, the Asian Energy Grid and Israel-Palestine, then you've your exam covered. Anything else that comes up, bull**** it, he love's hearing the usual buzzwords!;) Remember this;
    MCQ - 33%, Average Mark was a D (48.33%), so everyone, theoretically received 16%

For the bell-curve to be maintained at a C (58.33), everyone would have to get 42.33% out of 67%, this means if everyone has the 16% of course, then the average grade from the exam has to be a B-/C+

With this, because there's such a vast gulf to fill between the average of a D in an MCQ worth 33% and a final exam worth 67%, there's a good chance he'll mark easier, contrary to what some of you think. So the lesson is:

If you f*ck up, it's your own fault and you must simply be stupid as it's in the lecturer's best interests to mark easier, lest he detests his job so much!

Although, the fact that he was going to do negative marking in the first place...he must have just hated us already. :(

Maybe he's holding a grudge from Intro to Political Geography last year.

That's F*cking stupid, he's not Roy Keane, the chap does have a PhD from UCLA I sincerely doubt he's that petty. He might be a pain in the face and his lecturers might sound like they should be on indymedia*, dissenting liberal he may be, petty, spiteful teacher he most certainly is not. We're not in some crap secondary school.;)

*No offence intended to anyone contributing to Indymedia.:)

Jesus, relax, I'm not actually serious you lunatic.

And yeah, it's definitely the most biased course I've ever done.

Jesus, relax, I'm not actually serious you lunatic.

And yeah, it's definitely the most biased course I've ever done.

Well first things first,
    the exam was grand, only a retard could make a dogs b*llocks out of it, seriously though minus Kosovo the main stuff came up so unless you did no work you couldn't not write an essay.

Secondly, considering the hissy fit you've made in previous posts, what did you expect me to say? I knew it was going to be a piece of piss exam, but of course you didn't use your head: everyone did sh*t in the mcq, hence he has to make the exam easier, why would he make it harder, it's not even that difficult to begin with? There's no benefit for that considering he has to maintain the bell curve of a C. Do you see how that works or do you want a diagram with some nice colours?

Don't call me a f*cking lunatic, just because I'm not some f*cking fool, asking for help the night before a retarded exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Don't you think this would go so much better if everyone was to remain calm and polite. Hint hint.

• Advertisement

Raphael you might want to lock this thread, the exam is over, no more geopolitics ever again!:D

Hope everyone does well in the results!;)

El Siglo wrote: »
    Well first things first,
    the exam was grand, only a retard could make a dogs b*llocks out of it, seriously though minus Kosovo the main stuff came up so unless you did no work you couldn't not write an essay.

Secondly, considering the hissy fit you've made in previous posts, what did you expect me to say? I knew it was going to be a piece of piss exam, but of course you didn't use your head: everyone did sh*t in the mcq, hence he has to make the exam easier, why would he make it harder, it's not even that difficult to begin with? There's no benefit for that considering he has to maintain the bell curve of a C. Do you see how that works or do you want a diagram with some nice colours?

Don't call me a f*cking lunatic, just because I'm not some f*cking fool, asking for help the night before a retarded exam.

Ha, I love this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

El Siglo wrote: »
    Raphael you might want to lock this thread, the exam is over, no more geopolitics ever again!:D

Hope everyone does well in the results!;)
    Hm, fair point actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement