Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade Union subs?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,is anyone out there a shop steward or well up in unions that might answer my question?

I'm a member of SIPTU and work in a factory that is currently on short time/reduced hours and we are laid off a week in every month. Should we have to pay our union subs for the week we are laid off? The company is taking the money anyway and they are claiming that Siptu HQ have told them to do this. Doesn't seem fair to me-i mean we are laid off for the full week-we even claim Jobseekers Benefit (the dole in a fancy way!). I understand it's only a temporary lay off and i suppose Siptu are still there to represent us but surely it should be a reduced rate or something?

Advertisement