Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does GPS on mobiles cost?

• 11-05-2009 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

I'm getting the Nokia E71 as a leaving cert present from my parents (How kind of them) basically because the phone has everything I need for college and social life etc.

But I was wondering if my network (Vodafone) would bill me for using the Google Maps application. ???

I'd use it for fun to be honest (Being the child I am) :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yes, they'll charge you at whatever your data rate is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Yes, they'll charge you at whatever your data rate is.

I forgot to say that I'll be using a wifi network.

Could they charge me then because I'm not actually using their internet service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Larkin501 wrote: »
    I forgot to say that I'll be using a wifi network.

Could they charge me then because I'm not actually using their internet service?

It wont cost anything then, but your not moving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Davy wrote: »
    but your not moving?

Like I said in my 1st post, I'll only mess around with it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Larkin501 wrote: »
    Like I said in my 1st post, I'll only mess around with it :p

Just remember that if you do decide to use it at a later date on the network, you will have to change the settings in the maps application so it will connect.

Also you can 'go offline' in the maps application so no matter where you are it wont connect to cost you anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I have a nokia 6220 classic with gps.
    Yes, you can turn off the down loads.
    The GPS is free (longitude & latitude).
    I've dowloaded the maps I want from the nokia website onto my PC & transferred them using the Nokia PC suite application.
    If I was to use navigation or any of the services, then I would have to buy a subscription, plus pay any data charges.
    http://europe.nokia.com/A41417046

Advertisement