Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on softrack for my surfboard

Options
  • 11-05-2009 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi am looking for advice on getting a decent softrack for my surfboard 7' 6" minimal however my car is only a 3 door.

I don't want to go down the root of getting a roof rack but all the basic softracks seem to need both front and back doors to hold them down??

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough??

Appreciate anyones help/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/bodyglove-soft-roof-rack-i97.html

Try this fits 3 and 5 doors, free delivery and if you put the code king1 into the discount code box you get 10% off. I just ordered one haven't received it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Here's some advice, that you have specifically asked not to get, but I'm gonna give it anyway.

Soft racks are great in sunny weather, got one myself a couple of years ago when I first got my board.
    However the main downside with softracks is that when it rains outside, it also rains inside - the rain seeps in along the straps and drops on you and the seats.

I bought a hard rack last week, cost me €90, was surprisingly easy to fit, and the padding cost me €2 from a plumbing store - the straps will cost you another few quid - go with 5m ones if you have more than one board.

So IMO, its worth the extra few quid for a dry car - and face it, its more than likely gonna rain in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

+1 on the hard rack if you go surfing regularly

Soft rack destroyed the paint on the roof of the motor after a few months of frequent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Donal94 wrote: »
    http://www.kingofwatersports.com/bodyglove-soft-roof-rack-i97.html

Try this fits 3 and 5 doors, free delivery and if you put the code king1 into the discount code box you get 10% off. I just ordered one haven't received it yet though.

Donal - when did you place your order? Im thinking of getting one from here (great price) but might need it by the weekend (!) Any ipdate on ypurs arriving yet? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I ordered on monday they said it'd be here by wednesday and I ordered stuff before that arrived within 3 days they ship dhl if you pay the €5 charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks for that Donal - going to get my order in today, appreciate the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Garry17

Here's some advice, that you have specifically asked not to get, but I'm gonna give it anyway.

Soft racks are great in sunny weather, got one myself a couple of years ago when I first got my board.
    However the main downside with softracks is that when it rains outside, it also rains inside - the rain seeps in along the straps and drops on you and the seats.

I bought a hard rack last week, cost me €90, was surprisingly easy to fit, and the padding cost me €2 from a plumbing store - the straps will cost you another few quid - go with 5m ones if you have more than one board.

So IMO, its worth the extra few quid for a dry car - and face it, its more than likely gonna rain in this country.

I'd have to agree with the hardracks, especially if you're gonna be covering long distances. Safer for your boards and safer for other motorists (imagine braking suddenly with your board in softracks)
    If price is an issue, try a breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

If you do any bit of surfing at all you are gonna regret the soft racks....

come back from a session, dry off, change into your clothes to sit into a nice damp car seat when it has been rainin down heavy for the last hour or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

thanks for all the advice. my car cost me a few quid its only 8 months old so thinking i will spend the couple of hundred Euro on the designated hardrack for the model if any chance the soft rack will wear away the paint its a non runner for me.

Will be Dublin to the West of Ireland most of my drives so am thinking a softrack is not secure enough for that type of trip going on some of the other comments.

Also thanks for the advice on the puddles in the car best to avoid that alright!!!

Donal can you let me know how you get on with that make of softrack, I might get one as a back up in case need to transport in a mates car.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Donal can you let me know how you get on with that make of softrack, I might get one as a back up in case need to transport in a mates car.

Some friend you are... ha ha ha!!!

(BTW they are very secure... have had 4 longboards on with em heading down the Motorway. It pissed, got soaked!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

you can pick up some speed on that M7 on the way West......but great to know there are differing views on the safety bit.

what friends don't know in advance won't hurt them!!!

Advertisement