Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Front Door

Options
  • 11-05-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hey looking to get a new wooden front door which will have to be specially made as house is a 1960's semi and the standard size today is to small. Got quotes of €1800 and €2000!!!! Living in Cork, anyone got any ideas where I can get one a bit cheaper??? Thankssmile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A pic of what you want would be helpful.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Although I havent, as of yet, made a front door I think I can safely say that €1800 and €2000 sounds a little excessive! I assume its a pretty average door, but just off standard size, nothing drastically different about it?

Given its a front door its gonnabe made from hardwood, oak, maybe teak, ok, that can be expensive! It'd take what? A couple of days of machining maybe, day or two for assembly, a day to fit, say a weeks work at most I'd expect a figure of €600 - €800 at the very most!

I made and fitted a side gate for a client lately, he had got a price of €500 off a carpenter, I did the job for €180! a days work :rolleyes:, go figure! It amazes me how carpenters can throw out such wild prices especially with times the way they are! They are either bad off and hopng to make an easy kill or just arent interested and wantto throw you off.

But like I said, I never made a door, so what do I know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

the standard size today is to small

Can you post the measurements of the opening and old door?

BYW what is the condition of the old door, is it Teak or Mahogany?

Yes, those prices are excessive unless they are for an arched fan light top with some decent designed glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Although I havent, as of yet, made a front door I think I can safely say that €1800 and €2000 sounds a little excessive! I assume its a pretty average door, but just off standard size, nothing drastically different about it?

Given its a front door its gonnabe made from hardwood, oak, maybe teak, ok, that can be expensive! It'd take what? A couple of days of machining maybe, day or two for assembly, a day to fit, say a weeks work at most I'd expect a figure of €600 - €800 at the very most!

I made and fitted a side gate for a client lately, he had got a price of €500 off a carpenter, I did the job for €180! a days work :rolleyes:, go figure! It amazes me how carpenters can throw out such wild prices especially with times the way they are! They are either bad off and hopng to make an easy kill or just arent interested and wantto throw you off.

But like I said, I never made a door, so what do I know? :D

First the cost of the wood alone would be in excess of $300 to buy before it is machined.

When machining wood you lose at least 12.5% of it during the process.

You need a whole bunch of machines to produce a door.

If you are in the door making industry and you have to make an off standard door, you have to recalibrate all your machines to make 1 door then recalibrate them back again.

€1,800 to €2,000 to match an off standard front door is cheap for high quality work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

S.L.F wrote: »
    First the cost of the wood alone would be in excess of $300 to buy before it is machined.

If you are in the door making industry and you have to make an off standard door, you have to recalibrate all your machines to make 1 door then recalibrate them back again.

€1,800 to €2,000 to match an off standard front door is cheap for high quality work.

id be inclined to agree with s.l.f. but id add on to that for hanging. exterior doors are heavy and slow to hang unless you hang them in the workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

cork1 wrote: »
    id be inclined to agree with s.l.f. but id add on to that for hanging. exterior doors are heavy and slow to hang unless you hang them in the workshop.

Plus you need 2 men to hang a heavy door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

S.L.F wrote: »

CB1798: now he dont have all them fancy maachines to re-calibrate: he just have himself and that awesome pot bellied stove, a few restored wood planes and a mighty dandy circular saw like with even dandier cross-cut jigs an all

CB1798: u the (door) man, man

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

2K for a front door sounds about right. In 2004, I had a wooden door built and fitted for 2000 including glass and ironmongery

I must be mad, we often supplied hardwood doors which are 68mm in thickness for less than 2k including workshop hanging on frame.:(
    Fanlights , etc do bring them to well over 2k though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement