Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students go to San Diego Summer 2009

• 11-05-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey me and 2 other lads are going to San Diego this summer.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

CallMeHamo wrote: »
    Hey me and 2 other lads are going to San Diego this summer.

Any tips?

Dont bother going if you are under 21...I was 23 when I went and I was never not asked for ID. I was even asked for ID when going to see movies!!

The main area the Oirish go is Pacific/Mission Beach. Lots of houses to rent and almost all the Irish get jobs in Seaworld.

The trouble with the above is all the irish go there so the place is like a mini, hot Irish village and when I went I didnt really wanna see any Irish people bar the GF, by doing this we made lots and lots of Californian friends.

Me and the GF stumbled upon the zoo one day after arriving and did walk in interviews and got jobs as servers, we also got accommodation Down Town which is 45mins from the beach but we didnt mind so much. I think we were the only two Irish people working in the zoo as we were treated like a rare species of tiger!!

My main advice is to carefully choose where you setup camp, being beside the beach is no doubt fun but you'll probably end up sharing a 3bed house with 10-15 people which is not sustainable (especially when the party is over and you gotta goto work).

Get a job in either Seaworld or the Zoo, they both pay above $8 an hour...the minimum wage in CA was $5.25 when I was there, I worked in a cinema for two days on that pay before I got the zoo gig (and we got tips in the zoo)

Goto Tijuana, Its like home from home!

IR Jealous..wish I was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

If you get a chance check out Ocean Beach. It's a really cool surfer community. There's a really relaxed atmosphere there and the locals are easy to get along with. Great bars (pity they close so early though), loads of cool shops (check out a place called The Black on the main street), be sure to go to Hodad's - a burger joint on the main street, and definitely the nicest burgers I have ever tasted. The beach itself is sweet also, they have the longest pier on the west coast of america there also. Sorry, I know you were probably looking for job seeking advice - I was there twice only on holiday, but you never know, you might line up something over there. Cannot recommend OB enough though.

Advertisement