Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rock Of Cashel in Black & White- C&C

• 11-05-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

To convert photographs into black and white is very, very unusual for me. Normally, I love colour and everything that stands out about it but this set in particular just seemed to scream out to be converted into black and white.

Feel free to C&C :)

B34E4111B2DB44FEA785FC1964256532-800.jpg

91E9FFDD4A1D43D1AFDC8BEE29E2FA9A-800.jpg

0EDEFB56587B4147861B4FDD346D11F9-800.jpg

AA69BB26D97F48B38DBEC60F3A7A9191-800.jpg

D44CD3F834FF450CA362A8F6627B9F01-800.jpg

96170208D15B4446A7C2BACE06FCE856-800.jpg

F3E474D91EF049D8AB9429AA21501ADE-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Fantastic set....I like number 3 but I really really like Number 4...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Very nice set, but for some reason they seem too sterile. They need something to grunge them up a bit. Maybe a rough border, or a sepia tone?

I'm on a dodgy monitor but only really 4 stands out for me (but its a fantastic photo!)

The others seem to lack any focal points (but it may be the monitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I like the latter ones. 1, and 2 are a bit well, funny (sorry - bad choice of words). The dark skies in 1 and 2 are really distracting to me. But the later ones are very nice imho. So at least a bit of balance from me. 4 has a wow factor to it and would look very imposing if printed large and 7 is great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I generally like them ..... but ..... I think you may have overdone the sharpening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I like them. The only thing that irks is the scaffolding and there's nothing much you could have done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Carrigman wrote: »
    I like them. The only thing that irks is the scaffolding and there's nothing much you could have done about it.

You sound like a man who could use some dynamite in his life! Think outside the box...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I really like number 7 too, great angle but my eye keeps being drawn back to number 4 which is just class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Thanks guys. Thanks given out where appropriate :)
    dar_d wrote: »
    Fantastic set....I like number 3 but I really really like Number 4...
    Cheers dar_d, number 4 seems to be the most popular.
    5uspect wrote: »
    Very nice set, but for some reason they seem too sterile. They need something to grunge them up a bit. Maybe a rough border, or a sepia tone?
    Not a fan of borders or sepia but that's entirely a personal preference. A large black border could be just what the doctor ordered alright.
    I'm on a dodgy monitor but only really 4 stands out for me (but its a fantastic photo!)
    The others seem to lack any focal points (but it may be the monitor)
    Thanks :) I don't really go by focal points TBH, just whatever catches my eye.
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I like the latter ones. 1, and 2 are a bit well, funny (sorry - bad choice of words). The dark skies in 1 and 2 are really distracting to me. But the later ones are very nice imho. So at least a bit of balance from me. 4 has a wow factor to it and would look very imposing if printed large and 7 is great too.
    Would you believe, it was the skies in the first two shots that convinced me to convert the whole set to black & white?! Thanks for the comments.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    I generally like them ..... but ..... I think you may have overdone the sharpening.
    Thanks. Is there a way you can tell?
    Carrigman wrote: »
    True! It looks terrible inside the Rock Of Cashel as it has scaffolding all over the place with that green safety net draped all across it. And nobody working on it :rolleyes:
    passive wrote: »
    You sound like a man who could use some dynamite in his life! Think outside the box...
    I don't recommend the dynamite but thinking outside the box is good :)
    I really like number 7 too, great angle but my eye keeps being drawn back to number 4 which is just class!
    Cheers. Number 4 again comes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Nice set but, No: 3 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks. Is there a way you can tell?

In the first two images the foreground just has a look of too much sharpening. If it was in colour you would probably get fringes which look unpleasant, not so bad in Mono.

How are you applying the Sharpening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lovely set. 3,4 and 7 are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great set and some real standout shots in there, 1 looks like something from Italy (Monte Cassino) 4, 5 and 7 are excellent. Super point of view in 7

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Nice set but, No: 3 for me.
    Lovely set. 3,4 and 7 are my favourites.
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Great set and some real standout shots in there, 1 looks like something from Italy (Monte Cassino) 4, 5 and 7 are excellent. Super point of view in 7

Cheers guys :)
    CabanSail wrote: »
    How are you applying the Sharpening?

It was processed with Lightroom. Never used the 'sharpen' tool but I did use the 'clarity' tool, which seems to be a by-product of sharpening. It brought the clouds out beautifully so I kept it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Would you believe, it was the skies in the first two shots that convinced me to convert the whole set to black & white?!

If you don't mind me enquiring, what was your conversion process on going to the black and white?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Loving #4, #5 and #7
    What you using to shoot them, what lens?

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If you don't mind me enquiring, what was your conversion process on going to the black and white?
    It varied from pic to pic but all processing was done in Lightroom. First, I'd bring the sky out, convert to black and white and then start processing the photo properly with all settings Lightroom has. I should really have ran the photos through Photoshop's 'dodge & burn' tool but I still have loads more photos to process and I dont have the time TBH!
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Loving #4, #5 and #7
    What you using to shoot them, what lens?

All were shot with the kit lens '18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS' with no filters on a Canon 450D. I have other lenses but they weren't suitable as they all have longer focal lengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I like 3 and 4 and I also love the clarity slider

Advertisement