Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Letting - Do I provide a TV?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm renting out my apartment for the first time. In the middle of re-decorating etc..
    I have access to a 32" CRT tv and stand, which I was going to provide. Is this the done thing? I only rented in a few places (kips) before purchasing, and a tv was never provided. Do most people prefer to use their own tvs?

Thanks

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When I moved into my first apartment and now my house all that was provided was a 14" portable tv... we bought a 42" and now use that and have put the portable upstairs in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you want to throw the TV out cos it's crap? Then yes, put it there. If not, put it in your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you provide a TV, I think you have to provide a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

dingding wrote: »
    If you provide a TV, I think you have to provide a TV license.

nope, it's up to whoever lives in the apartment to provide the tv license.

just because the landlord put lightbulbs in the lamps doesn't mean he has to pay the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Just make sure that the tenants know that if the telly breaks down your not going to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The tv license was another concern.. *I* know it's the occupant who pays the license, but I don't want to get into an argument over that..

The TV is perfect. I just upgraded to a bigger LCD before I moved out. BTW there's already a wall mounted LCD in the bedroom, so they won't need to move it in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Ive rented a few places and there was never a tv provided!!

KInd of glad really cos we now have two great tvs that we saved up for!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do you have somewhere outside of the house where they can put the tv if they don't want it? I don't have a tv and wouldn't want one and certainly wouldn't want to have to pay the tv license. As long as there was a shed or something I could keep it in, then fine, but if it was going to be taking up room in my place and could get me caught for a license fine, I'd prefer it not to be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

cormie wrote: »
    Do you have somewhere outside of the house where they can put the tv if they don't want it? I don't have a tv and wouldn't want one and certainly wouldn't want to have to pay the tv license. As long as there was a shed or something I could keep it in, then fine, but if it was going to be taking up room in my place and could get me caught for a license fine, I'd prefer it not to be there in the first place.

Short answer, no. It's an apartment. Didn't think of that - not everyone actually wants a telly..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

why not just tell prospective tenants that you do have a tv if they want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Xiney wrote: »
    why not just tell prospective tenants that you do have a tv if they want?

+1 that probably the best way to go about it. If there is a Tv in an apartment im looking to rent I'll ask for it to be removed, no point in paying a license when your never gonna use the thing, I watch everything online instead*.

* unfortunately it looks like I will have to get a tv license shortly with the new legislation..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Make your tenants fully aware they have to pay the TV licence and go as far as having them sign a statement to that fact. Mention the TV as being available but not replaceable and I would put similar notes on any additional luxury items.
    I would consider a toaster as a luxury but a microwave as standard often replacing luxury items on renewal of a lease, additional decoration privileges also. I find if the tenant earns further respect it is best to reward it. Long term tenants are really what everybody wants. It is best to keep everything formal as possible at the start and the ones that don't like it tend to be more trouble from my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

if you provide a TV from the start you may end up having to repair/replace it when it breaks down. IT is better to advertise and let the apartment without a TV. When you have selected tenants and the lease is signed you can mention that there is a TV available on a temporary basis, which might save the tenants from having to rent a TV. If prospective tenants enquire about a TV at the viewing stage say that a TV is not included in the lease but you can lend them a TV for as long as it stays working.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you be happy if the TV was broken / stolen / so abuse such that nobody else would accept it (but you can't prove damage because its second hand)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In my place the landlord provided a TV, a 14" portable for the living room.
    I barely used it, I don't have any TV stations and you can't see anything on a small TV for xbox games when you are across the room. But I didn't store it, just left it in the living room unused

Yet, the TV license inspector still wanted a TV license, they could see it as they stood at my door
    I referred him to the landlord and gave him their name and address. Nothing heard anything afterwards, possibly the TV license was paid, I didn't pay it anyway.

And if this happens your tenants, don't be surprised if they ask you pay the TV license.
    You better sort all this with your new tenant before they move in

Advertisement