Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway - dig your own fiber trench, save money

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

How did a Norwegian electricity company become the biggest fiber-to-the-home provider in the country? By adopting an innovative business model, offering faster speeds at identical prices, and—most unusual of all—letting customers save a few hundred bucks by digging their own fiber trenches through their backyards.
    Lyse didn't start out as a broadband company; before 2002, it was an electrical company that provided power to about 120,000 Norwegian homes. But it was good at infrastructure building, and in 2002 it decided to jump into the Internet game by deploying fiber to the home. That first year, it had only 500 customers; now, it has more than 130,000, making fiber even more important than electricity.

How's that for an innovative approach? If I had this option here I'd jump at it.

Bear in mind they aren't offering this to people in the arse end of nowhere. Naturally they are focussing on areas with at least some population density. (Anecdotally, they are serving one particular area with a population of 30k)

Would they get the 60% threshold they require here before going ahead? I reckon they probably would.

Oopsie, forgot the source:P

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/norwegian-isp-dig-your-own-fiber-trench-save-400.ars

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They save $400 for doing a bit of digging. Depends how deep you have to dig but that sounds pretty damn sweet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well in the US Verizon run fibre to many peoples homes without digging.

Basically they string it along their telephone poles and from their into peoples homes.

I suppose ESB networks could do the same here along electricity poles and through their ducts. They already have one of the biggest fibre networks in the country and lots of similar experience, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So if Bord Gais do the Electric
    And ESB do the Comms

What do we have eircom for?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Hmm, maybe I could dig a trench through the UK and the North Sea? a bit of work sure, but ultimately it'd be worth it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement