Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone around here have Multiple Sclerosys?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I found out i had it last September, all is fairly good these days though. Experiences, Tips etc are welcome ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Hi fi, I dont have it myself but my hubbie was diagnosed with it end of Feb, big shocker as he had never had any symptoms previously. He deals with it by basically ignoring it unless its bad, not sure its the best way but sure its his way so maybe its right for him:). Having said that he is trying to make small changes to his life, mainly work/commuting related so I suppose what I mean is he prefers to just get on with it, and not talk much about it. I do worry about what the future holds, whether he will go downhill etc but we have made the decision to take things day by day, and not let it change things until we have to. Glad to hear you are doing well and long may that last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rosepetal wrote: »
    Hi fi, I dont have it myself but my hubbie was diagnosed with it end of Feb, big shocker as he had never had any symptoms previously. He deals with it by basically ignoring it unless its bad, not sure its the best way but sure its his way so maybe its right for him:). Having said that he is trying to make small changes to his life, mainly work/commuting related so I suppose what I mean is he prefers to just get on with it, and not talk much about it. I do worry about what the future holds, whether he will go downhill etc but we have made the decision to take things day by day, and not let it change things until we have to. Glad to hear you are doing well and long may that last.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, i forget i have it until someone brings it up or when i'm taking the injection :D
    There's one good thing about having it, i have an excuse now for going for a sleep at 4 in the afternoon :pac:
    Does your husband take supplements/vitamins? I have to get that sorted in the next week or two, i'm not exactly sure what i should be taking to try keep myself in the best of health, atm i'm taking Omega 3, Naudicelle(Vitamin D i think) but my mam got them, i don't think i was told by doc/neuro to get them

I hope for the best for your husband and thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Peggypeg

Hey Fighting Irish, I've MS too, of the relapsing remitting persuasion:D. I have to say the less you worry about it the better, i've had it 3 years and you'd never guess I'm sick at all, I've a brill nuerologist and he always encourages me to live life to the fullest. I'm a juggler and when I have a consultation he always asks me if I'm still juggling and when I say yes he writes "patient continues to juggle" on my chart!! He always encourages me to find ways around MS problems, like an MS nurse told me not to go to hot countries as heat can make it worse and he was all like "sure everyone needs a holiday, stick a damp tshirt in the freezer and if it gets too hot for you stick that on for a while". I made a big mistake when I was first diagnosed of looking up MS support groups and my god if I was a negative person I would have got into bed and stayed there!!! It's all doom and gloom on those sites, sorry if I'm offending anyone, it's just that MS is seen as a death sentence by some and that just hasn't been my experience at all. My advice is live your life to the absolute MAX!!! Do what you want to do, only deal with problems when they come up don't pre-empt them and above all don't worry, life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

French23 wrote: »
    Hey Fighting Irish, I've MS too, of the relapsing remitting persuasion:D. I have to say the less you worry about it the better, i've had it 3 years and you'd never guess I'm sick at all, I've a brill nuerologist and he always encourages me to live life to the fullest. I'm a juggler and when I have a consultation he always asks me if I'm still juggling and when I say yes he writes "patient continues to juggle" on my chart!! He always encourages me to find ways around MS problems, like an MS nurse told me not to go to hot countries as heat can make it worse and he was all like "sure everyone needs a holiday, stick a damp tshirt in the freezer and if it gets too hot for you stick that on for a while". I made a big mistake when I was first diagnosed of looking up MS support groups and my god if I was a negative person I would have got into bed and stayed there!!! It's all doom and gloom on those sites, sorry if I'm offending anyone, it's just that MS is seen as a death sentence by some and that just hasn't been my experience at all. My advice is live your life to the absolute MAX!!! Do what you want to do, only deal with problems when they come up don't pre-empt them and above all don't worry, life is too short.

Thanks so much for that great positive post, u are so right about the various websites etc, Myself and my hubbie got so depressed after looking at some of them that we vowed never again. I am so glad to hear that u are living your life to the full with ms, my hubbie is determined to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was diagnosed too last September. A shocker alright, but the worst part for me was the doctor who told me. I was an in-patient at the time and he wasn't a neurologist and he was just so abrupt. I am on the betaferon, every second day. I steer well clear of the MS sites, as they seem to attract the more negative people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was diagnosed too last September. A shocker alright, but the worst part for me was the doctor who told me. I was an in-patient at the time and he wasn't a neurologist and he was just so abrupt. I am on the betaferon, every second day. I steer well clear of the MS sites, as they seem to attract the more negative people.

Thanks for the reply and i agree about the MS forums, it does attract the negatives but i also think that it mainly attracts the people who are really fuck up by MS. Like mine isn't that bad at the moment so i rarely think about it, so i rarely think about going to the forums.

Just thought I'd add a little something, a lot of people don't realise how much MS has changed in the last 15 years, well the treatment anyway, before that the prognosis was really bleak and a death sentence for some. I really don't want anyone out there with MS to think I'm belittling the suffering they've gone through and I don't mean to be condesending or thoughtless by saying that some MS forums are very negative, I'm not a nut job that thinks that thinking positive is a cure or anything like that, maybe some MS forums are a place for people to off load when they've had a crappy day and so they come accross as negative.

That's really all I wanted to say.

HUGGLES to all,
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shazba

Hi all ,I too have M.S 3 years diagnosed ,i'm fine on Tysabri 11 sessions so far and life is great ,I was in Majorcca in may did fine Liverpool last month and going to barcelona and costa brava for 9 days end of august sure i'll b fine really looking forward to that, Dont believe in letting My illness rule me and will fid a way around it ,if i have to .So Onwards & upwards

Go Shazba!!! That's what I like to hear.

Advertisement