Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media player recommendations?

• 11-05-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hope this is the right forum. I am looking to replace my Pinnacle Show Center 200 with another media player that has an integrated hard drive. I don't think my wireless set up at home provides enough bandwidth for streaming movies properly, which is causing it to pause all the time.

I don't think I need anything too fancy. It must support DivX / XVid and the usual movie formats, and AC3 audio would be a definite bonus. HD would be nice. I have a decent amp, so would like one with good audio. We have Sky+, so no need to record anything.

I have a 500GB SATA hard drive already for my movies and shows, so I don't need one with a hard drive in it.

Wireless access would be good to transfer the files from the PCs. And cheap is always good too!

A quick search on Komplett threw up an ICY BOX and a WD TV HD media player- are either of these any good?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

eoin wrote: »
    Hi, hope this is the right forum. I am looking to replace my Pinnacle Show Center 200 with another media player that has an integrated hard drive. I don't think my wireless set up at home provides enough bandwidth for streaming movies properly, which is causing it to pause all the time.

I don't think I need anything too fancy. It must support DivX / XVid and the usual movie formats, and AC3 audio would be a definite bonus. HD would be nice. I have a decent amp, so would like one with good audio. We have Sky+, so no need to record anything.

I have a 500GB SATA hard drive already for my movies and shows, so I don't need one with a hard drive in it.

Wireless access would be good to transfer the files from the PCs. And cheap is always good too!

A quick search on Komplett threw up an ICY BOX and a WD TV HD media player- are either of these any good?

Thanks in advance :)

Just use the xbox, it works as a media server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks (how did you know I have an Xbox?!). But I think the problem is with the wireless signal, and I don't want to buy a wireless adapter for the XBox to confirm that's the case. Plus it's awfully loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Thanks (how did you know I have an Xbox?!). But I think the problem is with the wireless signal, and I don't want to buy a wireless adapter for the XBox to confirm that's the case. Plus it's awfully loud.

Only loud when playing games surely?

Well I've used the KiSS 1600 before and its excellent, like a good version of Apple tv with a lot of connections and a built in dvd upscaler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've got a WD tv and it's frigging sweet! plays 99% of files no bother (mkv, divx, .mov, mp4, ogg) it can't play stuff from the pc but if you have an external HD then that's not a problem.

Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Only loud when playing games surely?

Good point - only use it for games and DVDs as I don't have the wireless connector.
    Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Well I've used the KiSS 1600 before and its excellent, like a good version of Apple tv with a lot of connections and a built in dvd upscaler

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I've got a WD tv and it's frigging sweet! plays 99% of files no bother (mkv, divx, .mov, mp4, ogg) it can't play stuff from the pc but if you have an external HD then that's not a problem.

Thanks. I can live with plugging the USB drive in and out if needs be. In fact, a player that doesn't focus on WLAN is a good thing.

I think value for money, it's looking like a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Thanks. I can live with plugging the USB drive in and out if needs be. In fact, a player that doesn't focus on WLAN is a good thing.

I think value for money, it's looking like a good option.

It can be got for 90 Euro (ish) from Amazon including delivery! the other thing you mentioned doesn't play mkvs as far as i can tell... that'll be a big miss if that's the case!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242145803&sr=8-1

It can be got for 90 Euro (ish) from Amazon including delivery! the other thing you mentioned doesn't play mkvs as far as i can tell... that'll be a big miss if that's the case!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242145803&sr=8-1

Sweet, thanks for that, that's looking like a strong contender.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I will make this easy. get this
    http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I will make this easy. get this
    http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Wow, that's an impressive piece of kit! Think it ticks every box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement