Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Ellen Synon

Options
  • 11-05-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

Does, anyone here regularly read her opinion page in the Daily Mail ?
    If so, what apart from Eurosepticism is her political position ? It seems to me the entire Daily Mail is biased towards anti-EU polices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If so, what apart from Eurosepticism is her political position ? It seems to me the entire Daily Mail is biased towards anti-EU polices.

I do read her column since although I don't always agree with her, she does seem to do her research before going to print. The Mail may well be anti-Europe to some extent, but it's a newspaper. It publishes things that it believes will appeal to its target audience. Since its circulation suggests it is clearly successful in that, then a significant number of people in Ireland would appear to be Eurosceptics perhaps?

*flamethrowers please note that I don't say "all" Mail readers are*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

ART6 wrote: »
    I do read her column since although I don't always agree with her, she does seem to do her research before going to print. The Mail may well be anti-Europe to some extent, but it's a newspaper. It publishes things that it believes will appeal to its target audience. Since its circulation suggests it is clearly successful in that, then a significant number of people in Ireland would appear to be Eurosceptics perhaps?

*flamethrowers please note that I don't say "all" Mail readers are*

That doesn't follow at all, even with the proviso!

Certainly, newspapers do go to a good extent with what sells - the Daily Mail, for example, is campaigning for the HPV vaccine here and against it in the UK. However, my sister regularly reads the Mail, and she's an avid europhile - she reads it for the celeb stuff. Similarly, great numbers of eurosceptics read the IT.

So, a newspaper certainly sells itself on its content, but that doesn't mean that people read it for the totality of its content, or have any agreement whatsoever with its political messages - that's always been the value of newspapers in politics, that they don't just preach to the converted.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I don't even touch that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

It's wrong to categorize people as Euroskeptics even if they read the Mail for its anti-EU content. Most of them are just ordinary, ideologically unaligned and, admittedly, slightly gullible individuals sucked in by the DM's sensationalist headlines. Hell, if I believed half the rubbish spouted by the DM I'd be a Euroskeptic myself.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Danial Hannan's blog, even though he's a right-wing Tory Euroskeptic.

Advertisement