Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

across the water expenses debacle

Options
  • 11-05-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

i can't believe the furor thats going on about some dog food.
    Ok some of them where chancing there arm. But holy hell.

Our lovely TDs, a helicopter here and a jet there and a wee Florida hair doo.
    Bertie Basset can't be arsed voting most days.

if someone had similar information here you probably woundn't be allowed to publish it.

According to a quick poll by the bbc 54% want a general election.

Wonder what they would do if they had our nice bunch.
    Would there be like Brian L says "riots on the streets".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They are mere amateurs compared to our lot.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

galwayrush wrote: »
    They are mere amateurs compared to our lot.:rolleyes:

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

If one of our bunch were caught with the dog food bill, they probably would claim that the cost of separation and child maintenance and having no bank account left them eating the cheapest they could find...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The thing that is pissing people off is the claims for things like swimming pool maintainance and one, I sh!t you not, for "Moat Cleaning" :eek:

It just smacks of the wealthy ruling class making the plebs pay for their luxuries. it is kind of linked to the whole banking fiasco as well, wealthy people taking joe public for a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

They should try a bit of Bertie "it was a politicial donation for my personal use" logic - well, it worked over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Well it certainly seems some politicians were raking in the money through travel expenses a couple of years ago. Michael Woods and Sean Ardagh, despite living in Dublin, managed to claim over €10,000 each (in 07).

As one FF TD is reported to have said:
    "We work hard and we claim hard, some maybe harder than others.

"But the system is there and we're entitled to it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

At least in the UK, they have to give receipts/explanations. Our crowd just say how much they want :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jon Stewart did some Epic Coverage on the UK scandal yesterday.

But then Wolf Blitzer got confused by the term Chocolate Biscuits :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rant_and_rave

musicmonky wrote: »
    i can't believe the furor thats going on about some dog food.
    Ok some of them where chancing there arm. But holy hell.

Our lovely TDs, a helicopter here and a jet there and a wee Florida hair doo.
    Bertie Basset can't be arsed voting most days.

if someone had similar information here you probably woundn't be allowed to publish it.

According to a quick poll by the bbc 54% want a general election.

Wonder what they would do if they had our nice bunch.
    Would there be like Brian L says "riots on the streets".

Politicians are born corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

At least in the UK, they have to give receipts/explanations. Our crowd just say how much they want :mad:
    As much as I hate to rain on your parade, providing a receipt for a plasma TV and moat cleaning and having the expense APPROVED is worse in my book than not having to provide a receipt at all.

And I'd be fairly certain vouched expenses is a relatively recent phenomenon in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What is the story over here, are all TD's expenses public? Do they have to produce receipts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Politicians are born corrupt.

I think that is what is making this such a big story. there is a belief in the UK (Rightly or wrongly) that MPs are honest people so corruption is not tolerated.

a bigger story in my opinion is the two members of the house of Lords who have been thrown out for accepting cash to amend laws. This is the first time this has happened since cromwell's day. The same applies to the speaker getting the boot, it is unprecedented.

The moral is, you can take a country to war, but don't get the country to pay for your ducks new home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The moral is, you can take a country to war, but don't get the country to pay for your ducks new home.

That's hilarious - withdrawal as an MP means he won't be able to get the conservatory done
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8062000/8062852.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, the moral is do not use the previlegies of public office for self enrichment.

Haughey would have been jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

As was said earlier;

"We work hard and we claim hard, some maybe harder than others.

"But the system is there and we're entitled to it."

Well, after just reading this; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8062786.stm
    it puts things in perspective. Anthone Steen getting a good rap across the knuckles from Cameron for claiming people accusing him of false expense claims were jealous of his house...

Whoever uttered that 'work hard, claim hard' bollox should have been turfed out of any decent party instantly. Time for FF to go I'm sure1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

mike65 wrote: »
    No, the moral is do not use the previlegies of public office for self enrichment.

Haughey would have been jailed.

Well we've a chance to jail Son of Haughey... the Bert.. but do you think we will? Sickining. Ah sure he's harmless, sure we'll elect the poor creature as the Mayor of Dublin, sure what harm would it be and 'twould only be what the poor man deserves. Argh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

ppppppffffffff , dog food!

you need to do it like a pro like Lord Hog and get ur mote cleaned! Prefably by a knight in full shining armour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

squonk wrote: »
    Whoever uttered that 'work hard, claim hard' bollox should have been turfed out of any decent party instantly. Time for FF to go I'm sure1!!!
    And what about the recently married FG front bench duo claiming 2 accommodation expenses in Dublin?

Don't try and pin all this on FF! It will backfire if you do!

I'll condemn my party colleagues claiming fraudulently, but you'll have to give that it's as much every other party as it is FF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

ninty9er wrote: »
    And what about the recently married FG front bench duo claiming 2 accommodation expenses in Dublin?

Don't try and pin all this on FF! It will backfire if you do!

I'll condemn my party colleagues claiming fraudulently, but you'll have to give that it's as much every other party as it is FF!

He did say a decent party not FG whose members and affiliates condone corruption (see the Irish Times of Tuesday, April 21, 2009).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

ninty9er wrote: »
    As much as I hate to rain on your parade, providing a receipt for a plasma TV and moat cleaning and having the expense APPROVED is worse in my book than not having to provide a receipt at all.

And I'd be fairly certain vouched expenses is a relatively recent phenomenon in the UK.

First off, learn the meaning of the phrase "raining on someone's parade" before using it again, incorrect context.

That aside, I think it's worse to just ask for money under general headings, leaves things wide open for that money to be going anywhere. Having receipts at least backs the expense up. After all, they weren't doing anything illegal, just immoral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Times change and people don't. Greed is alive and well and it is not unique to any political party here or in the UK, US or wherever. The expenses fiddle has been going on for years in the UK amongst politicians. Michael Portillo said a few months back that when he became an MP he was told claim for everything and do not rock the boat,( do so at your peril) as this is the done thing, nay expected thing.

Here in Ireland, no receipts or anything necessary to claim expenses.The gravy train at local level, national level and european level just keeps on flowing. No wonder so many avidly seek re-election. Gordon Gekko would be proud. Greed is good and lunch is for wimps.

Advertisement