Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV Show of the Week #3: Big Brother (USA)

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big brother fan. I've watched 4 seasons of Australian Big Brother, most of the early BBUKs (before it turned into a freak show). And then there is Big Brother USA.

They tried the original Endemol format in BBUSA for season 1. Mundane conversation, simple challenges, about 70 episodes, and no spark. It got boring very quickly. With the well known limited attention span of the american viewing public, they decided to shake things up radically for season 2 and beyond.

By the time season 2 of BB came around, CBS had run 2 seasons of Survivor, which was incredibly popular. The things that made survivor great were mind games, back stabbing and alliances. So why not apply that to BB? Thats what they did...

The format has evolved and improved over the years but it stayed essentially the same. You have 16-20 people living in a BB house for 2-3 months. The first difference between this and the traditional BB format is that everything game related stays in the house. Nominations and evictions are all decided by the housemates. There are no phone numbers for the viewers to call every week to evict someone. So with a structure like that, bonds formed, alliances were made, people were stabbed in the back (metaphorically speaking) and it made great TV.

Every week, they do 3 episodes. You have the eviction show on Thursday, where one of two people is voted out of the house by their fellow housemates. At the end of the eviction show you have the Head of Household competition, where everyone is given a chance to become HoH (a person who gets a suite all to themselves, presents from home, and most importantly, the task of nominating 2 housemates for eviction).

On Sunday, they do the nomination ceremony itself. Finally on Tuesday, they do the Veto competition. Up to 6 housemates compete in a competition where the winner has the power to veto one of the nominations (take someone off the block). The HoH has to choose a replacement nominee.

Then back on Thursday, you have the next eviction and the whole cycle repeats until there are just 2 left. Like Survivor, the last 7 evictees form a jury where they decide who is the most worthy to win all the cash at the end.... All self contained, and no public interference.

I've seen all 9 series since the format changed, and its still very entertaining stuff. In my opinion, far more entertaining than the traditional UK/Aussie format. They mix it up a bit each year (they threw some ex's together, they swapped out identical twins, they had secrets around the house, and they put an estranged father and daughter together (who went on to win the competition that year). They even had an all-stars year where the best, most devious, and the bitchiest of the preceding seasons were all thrown together in what was probably the best of all 10 seasons.

Season 11 kicks off in July. Worth checking out if you're sick of the traditional format.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've watched a couple of Big Bro USA seasons and I think they're great viewing. I despise the UK version. Looking forward to seeing Season 11 this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Does anyone know when big bro usa is starting back?I presume it'll be shown on e4 again??Its a much better format than big bro uk and they should really take some advice from usa show!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Season 11 starts on July 9th in the States.
    Not sure if it will be shown on E4.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

i LOVE BB USA!!! i think its sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the UK one. I mean, as well has the HOH, power of veto, them evicting who they chose, I also like that the majority of the contestants are over 25 and actually behave like mature people... they arent running around having pillow fights, making up songs and dances and the challenges they do are proper physical or mental challenges! they are really good... not trying to learn russian... its just so much better and i love it

did anyone see their all star one? I think it was season 7. just brilliant!!

Advertisement