Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bradford City stadium fire 24 years ago today

• 11-05-2009 11:06pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus, that's horrific at the end. I'm very surprised there isn't more press about this - I hadn't heard about it before. Had to wiki it to find out more about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jebus ,that long ago .

Another reason as to why we have all seater, non wooden seater stadia but sadly, if took many people lifes for that to happen . ie, Ibrox ,Hillsbourough , Heysel , Bradford .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Spoke to a few of my friends about this today.

Been watching clips and re-reading articles on it. I wasn't alive at the time but I have a lot of city supporting mates who were affected by this. This tragedy tends to go under the radar.

RIP to those who lost their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I knew about this because of Stuart mcCall being one of my all time heroes.

A very very sad day for football, and everyone involved. We can complain about all seater stadiums all we want, but at the end of the day, stadiums are a much safer place to be nowadays at least in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Remember the tragedy unfolding that day. I was only a kid. 24 years, jaysus. What a horrible couple of years 1985 -1989 were for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember that along with Heysel (same year) and the general shoddy/violent environment surrounding the game it was starting to look like the beginning of the end of the game.

That fire was so catastrophic due to the shed being wood and the vast amount of discarded rubbish that had collected under the stands (just like the huge King's Cross Station underground fire in London in the early 1987 was litter + wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've never seen the footage and I have to say the last 90 seconds or so are quite distressing to watch.

May they all RIP.
    mike65 wrote:
    Remember that along with Heysel (same year) and the general shoddy/violent environment surrounding the game it was starting to look like the beginning of the end of the game.

It did seem that way didn't it? The 80s was a horrible decade for the game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember this happening at the time (just) and as mentioned above in terms of off pitch happenings, those were dark sad days for football.

Hopefully we won't see another tragedy that is preventable like this again.

Advertisement