Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Browne 11/05/09

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I have summed up my opinion on Vincent Brown and I honestly think no FG canditate should ever come on his show any more. Every night, I watch the show Vincent grills any FG representative that come on the programme. He acts as if he is in favour of FF. My god I thought he left Shay Brennan get away with murder tonight. I barely heard him questioned. He should have gone in on him more about Anglo Irish Bank and not let him off scot free. He's not that innocent he did work there. Can you imagine what Vincent would have said if shay brennan was running for FG. He would have set him on fire.

Anyway, the whole programme was on George Lee, some irrelevant questions were asked by Browne to Lee about his decision to join FG etc. wtf like ????

I suppose Vincent was doing his best to reduce Lee's margin in the opinion polls in the offchance that FF would be wiped out. Tough break Vincent, you wont catch out a smart man like Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

teednab-el wrote: »
    I have summed up my opinion on Vincent Brown and I honestly think no FG canditate should ever come on his show any more. Every night, I watch the show Vincent grills any FG representative that come on the programme. He acts as if he is in favour of FF. My god I thought he left Shay Brennan get away with murder tonight. I barely heard him questioned. He should have gone in on him more about Anglo Irish Bank and not to let him off scot free. He's not that innocent he did work there. Can you imagine what Vincent would have said if shay brennan was running for FG. He would have set him on fire.

Anyway, the whole programme was on George Lee, some irrelevant questions were asked by Browne to Lee about his decision to join FG etc. wtf like ????

I suppose Vincent was doing his best to reduce Lee's margin in the opinion polls in the offchance that FF would be wiped out. Tough break Vincent, you wont catch out a smart man like Lee.

It could be that everyone else is concentrating on excoriating Fianna Fail and Vincent's making the smart choice on griling members of the party that are more than likely set to get elected in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Marshy wrote: »
    I didn't think Brennan put any credible reason forward why he should get the vote. George was ok although did get a bit over-excited at times.

He waffled through that one like any good politician would alright. He came across like a right muppet at the start. He did improve in my estimation in the one other point he actually got to make, re the banking crisis. Don't know his role in Anglo so don't know whether he should have gotten grief over it.
    I thought he was right about one thing though; who really cares about the backround as to how George ended up as the FG candidate.

Exactly. That was a ridiculous question.
    I should hope he'll be looking to formulate some new policies for them, they need help for sure on that front.

I did get the impression alright that he was on the FG ticket more for his own ends than FGs, i.e. he feels someone needs to do something and they can only do it with one of the main parties. That's hardly going to be FF at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well rather than listen to how he sounds I suggest you listen to what he says, and read what Libertas print. Don't compare him to other politicians, compare him to what the other politicians should be. I have no time for the rest of them, but I'd gladly vote for them sooner than anyone in Libertas.
    you asked me a question and I answered it. What with the "dont compare him to other politicians" -> surely that is the point of having a choice, a comparison. According to you I should compare him to something that doesnt exist?
    i.e. "what other politicians should be" -> you really need to be more pragmatic mate. Ganly wouldnt be necessary if the clowns he is up against had a ounce of ability. Debates like the one on VB showed they havent.

dodgyme wrote: »
    you asked me a question and I answered it. What with the "dont compare him to other politicians" -> surely that is the point of having a choice, a comparison. According to you I should compare him to something that doesnt exist?
    i.e. "what other politicians should be" -> you really need to be more pragmatic mate. Ganly wouldnt be necessary if the clowns he is up against had a ounce of ability. Debates like the one on VB showed they havent.

To be fair you said you like the guy because he sounds and looks the part, not because you agree with his stance on particular issues, or even a single issue. I know a lot of people who are cool and calm under pressure, but that doesn't mean they know what they are at or that they are trustworthy. I'm sure Alan Sugar would come across as cool, calm and collected on such a stage, and he has very good business acumen too. Doesn't mean I think he'd make a good politician or that I'd trust him as one (no offence Sir Alan! :pac:).

• Advertisement

To be fair you said you like the guy because he sounds and looks the part, not because you agree with his stance on particular issues, or even a single issue. I know a lot of people who are cool and calm under pressure, but that doesn't mean they know what they are at or that they are trustworthy. I'm sure Alan Sugar would come across as cool, calm and collected on such a stage, and he has very good business acumen too. Doesn't mean I think he'd make a good politician or that I'd trust him as one (no offence Sir Alan! :pac:).

I agree with his stance on europe becoming fairly undemocratic for example, but the thread is about there appearance on VB ...no????

You just said you dont like ganly - I just think you couldnt be persuaded regardless of what he was like. Therefore you will vote for snivling higgins (my expenses are on the website -NOT) of harking harkin.

dodgyme wrote: »
    I agree with his stance on europe becoming fairly undemocratic for example, but the thread is about there appearance on VB ...no????

Pop over to the threads on the European Politics forum for Libertas debate if you want. There's at least 2 ongoing threads there. Either way you're right. I don't like Ganley and it would take a lot to convince me I'm wrong about the guy (inaccurate statements like the EU becoming "fairly undemocratic" don't help), but I'd appreciate if you didn't assume you know who I would vote for. I'm not in the North West anyway so it's a moot point I suppose.

I missed him last night. Who was on ?

I'm not in the North West anyway so it's a moot point I suppose.
    me niether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I missed him last night. Who was on ?
    Didn't see it all but they discussed some new survey on sex crime in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Not a bad diversion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Martin Mansergh isn't Irish either then.

and the Primetime thing was a smear job complete with haunting music and unsettling lighting

even if he was not irish, its my understanding that since british residents in ireland can vote in the local and dail elections, there is nothing stopping them from standing for elections. what's your point singling him out by comparing him to ganley who i doubt give two sh*ts for ireland and in particular to the north west. mind you if he could manage jobs etc for the area he would be doing great, but he could not even if he wanted too its the european parliament not commission or dail he is running for. what does he know about issues like fishing quoatas or common argiculture policy?

even if he was not irish, its my understanding that since british residents in ireland can vote in the local and dail elections, there is nothing stopping them from standing for elections. what's your point singling him out by comparing him to ganley who i doubt give two sh*ts for ireland and in particular to the north west. mind you if he could manage jobs etc for the area he would be doing great, but he could not even if he wanted too its the european parliament not commission or dail he is running for. what does he know about issues like fishing quoatas or common argiculture policy?

What's the point in singling out Ganley for not being "properly" Irish ?
    other than the "I don't think he gives two shits about Ireland" arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

other than the "I don't think he gives two shits about Ireland" arguement.

Because he lied about his passport(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Originally Posted by Alan Rouge
    other than the "I don't think he gives two ****s about Ireland" arguement.
    Originally Posted by Serenity Now!
    Because he lied about his passport(s).

Well that makes him fully Irish in my book, that's what our politicians do here is lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jaysus, some shower of unpolished yokels on tonight's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Aidric wrote: »
    Jaysus, some shower of unpolished yokels on tonight's show.
    +1

I couldn't get over the Christian headcase at the start, brought up abortion and divorce straight off. Then when Browne questioned him why people who don't follow his beliefs should live be forced to agree with the catholic view on divorce he says because we know we're right. Unbelievable, I lol'd.

Tonight's show has the Arthur Morgan and Connor Lenihan sideshow.
    They're like Laurel and Hardy or the Chuckle brothers. Lenihan was just taking dig after dig at Sinn Fein in a rant there and Morgan was providing a running commentary of sorts while Lenihan just ploughed on.

I quite like Browne's tactic of interupting someone if they're just waffling on and giving the usual spiel instead of answering the question asked.

Advertisement