Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaded BSOD

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Have an XPS730 with twin 3870x2 cards in Xfire. Been working fine for the last 3 months since I bought it until a 2 days ago. Fired her up to get a bsod. Thought it was just a once off but it seems to be happening completely at random, have had 5 or 6 of them since.

Thought it might be the cards as the error number suggested that so updated the drivers but was still having the same problem. Checked the audio drivers and they are current aswell. After alot of head scratching decided to disable Ce1 in the Bios and so far I have'nt had another crash but I have a feeling it will happen again.

Anyone have this problem with their graphics cards and how come it only shows up now, it was working fine for the past 3 months.

If it persists should I switch to XP, I'm gonna be honest I can't stand vista and was probably gonna switch anyway.

Any ideas appreciated.

p.s. I dont think it's a faulty hardware issue as there are days where the cards work fine, it seems to happen completely at random?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

have an XPS 630i myself. And when i first got the computer i used to get BSOD randomly. But i usually could relate it to watching video with VLC player.

But it would sometimes BSOD when i leave it on, downloading overnight too. I haven't had a BSOD in 6 monthd

There is a website www.my630i.com that has a section on the 730, I think. might be worth it to drop over there, and post. Some information on what you would be doing, usually when i happens, is it on startup? before/during/ after watching video/playing games? Did you look at the problem solution report in Vista? what does it say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Hi Brian,

Actually I got it sorted a few days after I made my original post. I have an extreme processor and it was set to the highest setting, turned it down and have'nt had a problem since. I guess the chip was overheating and shutting down so now that it's at a lower setting it seems to be sorted.

Thanks for the reply

yhwh

Advertisement