Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economins/sociology + public admin info needed

• 11-05-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

ok im thinking of doing either public administration or economics and sociology in ul next year...can anyone tell me wat the courses are like and more importantly wat the job prospects of the courses are like...tanx.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Two years ago, when I was finishing my undergrad, out of all the humanities courses Public Admin had the least favourable job prospects (yes, even worse than HPSS!). I think its more suited, from what I've heard, to people already in the civil or public service and want to further their careers.

The people I know who did Economics and Sociology are doing postgrads in Law.

In either case, proper spelling, grammar and punctuation will help any forays into employment! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I graduated top of Public admin a few years ago* and, in real terms, I'm actually earning less than what I earned on my work experience!!

'least I have a job of course...

*more than I care to admit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

klong wrote: »
    Two years ago, when I was finishing my undergrad, out of all the humanities courses Public Admin had the least favourable job prospects (yes, even worse than HPSS!). I think its more suited, from what I've heard, to people already in the civil or public service and want to further their careers.

In either case, proper spelling, grammar and punctuation will help any forays into employment! :-)

:D..can you study a postgrad in law at ul or do you go elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    I graduated top of Public admin a few years ago* and, in real terms, I'm actually earning less than what I earned on my work experience!!

'least I have a job of course...

*more than I care to admit

serious!!...i dont mean to be noisy but what job are you doing....like if you chose to continue in further studies in ul maybe a masters or phd would it be worth it money wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

cocomk1 wrote: »
    ok im thinking of doing either public administration or economics and sociology in ul next year...can anyone tell me wat the courses are like and more importantly wat the job prospects of the courses are like...tanx.:)

check out this 3 threads they have some info on economics and sociology!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055515067&highlight=economics+sociology

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470912&highlight=economics+sociology

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138081&highlight=economics+sociology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

:D..can you study a postgrad in law at ul or do you go elsewhere...

Yes, can be done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

klong wrote: »

So would that also say that economics and finance (from bbs) has poor job prospects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

serious!!...i dont mean to be noisy but what job are you doing....like if you chose to continue in further studies in ul maybe a masters or phd would it be worth it money wise

Did masters already. made the mistake of doing it in something I liked. Work in insurance now. That's life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 shabby

I'm currently doing public admin and wondering if anybody knows if it could get me into a Msc Finance post-grad since i have picked the economics and management strain?!

For the Op, well the course is 15 hours a week (10 hrs of lectures, 5 of tutorials)....just finishing first year now and the course is really general.....havent learnt anything significant, just a general overview of stuff really. Glorified secretaries could be a description of job opportunities...

Advertisement