Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera on the Quinn!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

They are traffic monitoring cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Usually on Motorways or Dual Carriageways in Ireland, there are removable sections installed at certain in the central barrier for emergency vehicle access.

I don't think ambulance access was taken into account to be honest. If it was and that's the reason why there is no barrier on the bridge then they would not have put those bollards in between Galway SC roundabout and Menlo Pk roundabout.

Dual Carriageways at the time didn't even have barriers! They just had a grassy median with a few shrubs. It was only after several bad head on collisions on the M50 that a decision was made to have barriers nationally. I just don't think a central barrier or leaving a gap so one could be easily installed in future would have even been considered at the time.

We are gone way off-topic here. Sorry about that! This is a good discussion though I must admit.

Got a (bad) snap of it on my phone when passing this evening. You can ignore the left two-thirds of the photo; the traffic camera is in the right third. It's definitely not a speed camera I reckon. Probably just traffic counting camera.

Click thumbnail for full size image:
    th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDYuanBn.jpg

Will be interesting to see how many cars use the bridge everyday. I'm sure it will be a much bigger figure than a lot of towns around the country which have got a bypass....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are you admitting to handling a mobile phone when driving KevR? :pac:

The strange thing about that photo is the lack of election posters..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

...and I'll blame you KevR for steering this even further off topic:D

It'll be interesting to see if figures are released for the traffic volumes that use the bridge and how O'Brolchain and his merry band of idiots try to twist the figures to tell us that high volumes show that a bypass would be a very bad idea that would harm the blessed bog cotton.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are you admitting to handling a mobile phone when driving KevR? :pac:
    :pac: I was a passenger..
    churchview wrote: »
    ...and I'll blame you KevR for steering this even further off topic:D

It'll be interesting to see if figures are released for the traffic volumes that use the bridge and how O'Brolchain and his merry band of idiots try to twist the figures to tell us that high volumes show that a bypass would be a very bad idea that would harm the blessed bog cotton.

My car in Galway City gets less than half the fuel effeciency it does on the open road.

Was just watching a programme on tv about global warming and it said if we could double the fuel effeciency of every car in the world it would save 1 billion tonnes of CO2 every year. The bypass would definitely be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Saw the one outside the cathedral just today. Hadn't been out that side for a while.

There was one outside Bon Secur hospital (by the road) for a good while a few months back.

From walking the dog out that direction yesterday evening:

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMuanBn.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjIuanBn.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjUuanBn.jpg

Click for full size image.

Sorry for the poor quality; it was dusk so lighting was poor and I only had my phone, rather than a proper camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its gone again this morning I would say it was a traffic monitor camera which was only put up for the day. A fixed speed camera as far as I know has to have a sign warning you before you come to it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its gone again this morning I would say it was a traffic monitor camera which was only put up for the day. A fixed speed camera as far as I know has to have a sign warning you before you come to it.

Moved to another location to monitor traffic levels elsewhere possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rola

Sorry for joining the topic when the camera has been moved. But to put the topic to bed it is defo recording traffic volumes. I work as a traffic engineer and i frequently use that company to carry out traffic count.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

KevR wrote: »
    Moved to another location to monitor traffic levels elsewhere possibly?
    Or the secret organisation that was watching Galway knew it was rumbled and did a legger.

There's a motorway in the UK that's about 10 lanes wide and they switch the directions of the lanes to deal with different rush hours. There's no median at all but I think they use one of the lanes as a median.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or the secret organisation that was watching Galway knew it was rumbled and did a legger.

There's a motorway in the UK that's about 10 lanes wide and they switch the directions of the lanes to deal with different rush hours. There's no median at all but I think they use one of the lanes as a median.

The Aston Expressway in Birmingham?

I think it's 7 lanes wide. Most of the day it's the 3 outer lanes in each direction, with the middle lane empty and acting as a buffer.

Morning rush hour it's 4 lanes inbound to Birmingham and 2 lanes outbound.
    Evening rush hour is the opposite - 4 lanes outbound and 2 lanes inbound.

It's a great idea/improvisation in my opinion.

We'd need at least one extra lane on the bridge and other 4 lane single carriageways in Galway for something like this to be possible. And we'd really have to do big junction upgrades because existing junctions can't even keep present levels of traffic flowing, nevermind an increased amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KevR wrote: »
    We'd need at least one extra lane on the bridge and other 4 lane single carriageways in Galway for something like this to be possible.

Agreed: if folks cannot manage roundabouts, there's no way they could cope with tidal-flow lanes without a median barrier.

Could build some "nippon clip-ons" for the bridge I guess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Harbour_Bridge) ... nervous people might not want to drive in the outside lanes though ;)

Someone mentioned the lack of space for any kind of median: I wonder if the extra wide footpath (I think meant to be separate bits for pedestrians and bicycles) might give some options here. I'm no engineer though, maybe even a small bit from each wouldn't give enough space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cdv

A friend of mine got a ticket through the post, for driving 90 in a 50 place last Thursday.

They don't say where & how they caught him. Just a pic of his license plate.

Possible places are:
    1. 50k/h part of the Tuam Road
    2. Bothar na Dteabh (Font Roundabout to roundabout on Headford road)
    3. Quinn bridge (Dun na Coiribe)

He suspects a "hidden" speed camera.

Did anybody else get a ticket in these places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

cdv wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a ticket through the post, for driving 90 in a 50 place last Thursday.

They don't say where & how they caught him. Just a pic of his license plate.

Possible places are:
    1. 50k/h part of the Tuam Road
    2. Bothar na Dteabh (Font Roundabout to roundabout on Headford road)
    3. Quinn bridge (Dun na Coiribe)

He suspects a "hidden" speed camera.

Did anybody else get a ticket in these places?

Well, they are often hidden along Bothar na Dteabh with one of the tripods; and I assume some of those have picture taking capabilities???

I thought if it is a fixed speed camera they have to erect signage to the effect that it is there.......???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They have a old beat up transit as well that I've seen outside Tuam.

It seems odd that they wouldn't say where and when. There's no link to it actually being in a 50klm zone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Seems a bit rum. I remember getting a ticket from the Gatso van on Bothar na dTreabh before and it had the road name on it. I'd pursue it a bit and see if it all adds up.

Advertisement