Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm finished with Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

€4.50 for a t-shirt, the devils!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are you for real. In Tesco you pay the sterling so the t-shirt is €3.

Can you get that anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Are you for real. In Tesco you pay the sterling so the t-shirt is €3.

Can you get that anywhere else?
    This t-shirt was cleary marked '£3/€4.50'. I asked a sales assistant just to make sure and she said this was the correct price. So much for their new price reductions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's a private company, they can set their prices as they wish, if you don't want to shop there, don't.

No need to inform a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

In my local tesco, those t-shirts were €3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's a private company, they can set their prices as they wish, if you don't want to shop there, don't.

It's a public forum, anyone can post, if you don't want to read posts, don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

mp3guy wrote: »

In which case we do any of us on this site bother informing anyone else of our opinions?

Pretty stupid response. The OP has decided not to shop there anymore because she does not like the company and you come along and advise her not to shop there anymore??:confused:

You say Tesco are a private company. Where has the OP stated otherwise?

You say Tesco can set their prices as they wish. Where has the OP stated otherwise?

The OP is a private person, she can set what ever opinions as she wishes, if you dont want to read them than dont read bother reading them anymore.

There was no need for you to inform a message board about this.;)

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    In which case we do any of us on this site bother informing anyone else of our opinions?

Pretty stupid response. The OP has decided not to shop there anymore because she does not like the company and you come along and advise her not to shop there anymore??:confused:

You say Tesco are a private company. Where has the OP stated otherwise?

You say Tesco can set their prices as they wish. Where has the OP stated otherwise?

The OP is a private person, she can set what ever opinions as she wishes, if you dont want to read them than dont read bother reading them anymore.

There was no need for you to inform a message board about this.;)
    Thank you for coming to my defence against what was a pretty silly comment. But this she is a he ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I will say that the Tesco shop assistant was incorrect. They introduced Euro/Sterling parity on clothing a while back (unless some stores are not participating).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dudara wrote: »
    I will say that the Tesco shop assistant was incorrect. They introduced Euro/Sterling parity on clothing a while back (unless some stores are not participating).

Was just about to say they same, I know for a fact that Tesco Waterford will sell an item for 4e if its priced at £4.

I can't find anything on their website just now but it def sounds like the sales assist was incorrect.

[EDIT]
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/fashion-beauty/summer-fashion-at-euro-prices-1724089.html
    And you won't have to head North for the bargains because they are matching the euro price of every item to the sterling price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I've had experience of Tesco as botha consumer and as a customer of the company I used to work for.

Firstly I welcome Tesco to this marketplace and wish -to- the Gods that Asda, Sainsburys etc would follow them here! I find this debate and angst on profits and rip offs remarkably amusing really. Nobody is asking if Dunnes (The difference is, we're BLAND ;) ) are ripping us off, or for that matter, Superquinn, or SuperValu, yet, we all seem amazingly irritated that one of, if not THE lowest priced supermarket is actually making a healthy (nee exporbitant) 50% profit ? If this is so, WTF are the others making ? As surely people shopping in Tesco's do so for low prices ? Therefore indicating that Dunnes (The difference is, We don't do CHOICE in OUR stores ;) ) ...

I welcome Tesco etc here because the have brought variety and choice and competition, more of it I say !

Yet, on the other hand, their tactics in the field of business I personally found abhorrent, not just of late with the staff but in the way I saw them drive the hardest possible prices from their suppliers. I cannot go into specifics on this board but suffice to say it turned my stomach...

Sothere are 2 sides to the coin of Tesco's for me, but I honestly think they could operate both ethically and morally and STILL make a profit here.

Yet i'm hipocritical for one reason in my continuing to shop there, I cannot abide the lack of product choice in the other domestic supermarkets. It is irritating and in modern Ireland, utterly ridiculous, I therefore avoid Dunnes (the difference is, We're BORING ;) ) for food shopping at every opportunity..

Just my 2p..

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have shopped in Dunnes and Tesco and prefer Dunnes. Tesco is dirty, the shelves tend to be empty more and their fruit and veg is woeful. Dunnes have come a long way in the last 10 years and even their smaller stores say e.g. Rathmines are quite good now. Tesco by their own stats are 0.5% more expensive then Dunnes - who would have guessed. Plus Dunnes is owned by an Irish family. tesco recently asked their suppliers to take a 20% pay cut in ireland. Imagine how many jobs will be lost because of that. You cant say no either they just de-list you. I love superquinn as well but it is just too expensive. Funny thing is in the UK Tesco is the supermarket for poor people -it is the worst of the bunch over there.

kmick wrote: »
    Tesco is dirty, the shelves tend to be empty more and their fruit and veg is woeful.
    I hate to sound like the constant defender of Tesco, but this is very definitely a localised thing and not a fair criticism to make across the board. Ditto the "sh1tty meat" complaint regularly levelled on Boards. I shop regularly in 2 stores in Cork (Midleton & Mahon) and 3 others irregularly (Youghal, Wilton & Douglas) and these complaints simply don't apply to any of them. The veg is fine, if occasionally decimated; the meat is very good in my experience; and the stores are kept neat and tidy bar a bit of clutter when restocking.

I can't speak for the poster above, but I'm convinced many complainants have gone into one store, once, not seen what they liked, and bitched about it ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

mags16 wrote: »
    In my local tesco, those t-shirts were €3

Ah, but it's so much easier to complain on the interweb than actually doing anything to resolve the issue in store with a manager.
    kmick wrote:
    Funny thing is in the UK Tesco is the supermarket for poor people -it is the worst of the bunch over there.

Look down much ?
    Recent surveys from Watchdog say otherwise.

I'm going to echo what Dahamsta has said above, I also hate to sould like a constant defender of them but sometimes you have to wonder what goes through some peoples head and do they go out of their way to put themselves in a position where they have something to complain about.

Irish farmers should be more upset with people on boards than with Tesco due to people sayng how bad their meat is. Simple fact is that it's no worse than any other supermarket.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dahamsta wrote: »
    I hate to sound like the constant defender of Tesco, but this is very definitely a localised thing and not a fair criticism to make across the board. Ditto the "sh1tty meat" complaint regularly levelled on Boards. I shop regularly in 2 stores in Cork (Midleton & Mahon) and 3 others irregularly (Youghal, Wilton & Douglas) and these complaints simply don't apply to any of them. The veg is fine, if occasionally decimated; the meat is very good in my experience; and the stores are kept neat and tidy bar a bit of clutter when restocking.

I can't speak for the poster above, but I'm convinced many complainants have gone into one store, once, not seen what they liked, and bitched about it ever since.

I';d have to agree with all of the above, just because one or two stores are messy etc does not mean they all are.

For example there are three stores in Waterford city, two are perfectly fine with good stock etc but one is very poor stock etc....doesn't mean they all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

grenache wrote: »
    This t-shirt was cleary marked '£3/€4.50'. I asked a sales assistant just to make sure and she said this was the correct price. So much for their new price reductions!

Those t-shirts were marked before Tesco introduced the changes so even though it was marked with a euro price you pay the sterling price.

I have to say I did my weekly shop there on saturday and i found good value. So much so that I will be heading to Tesco this saturday for my weekly shop. I'm sick of going to Super Valu and getting the stuff on special offer to find on my reciept that i was charged full price :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

well, there a re 3 tescos near me and the big 2 are fine, though the smaller store is less than great.

then again i noticed dunnes stores are the same, standards vary from shop to shop. and superquinn in finglas is badly in need of as refurbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

£ = € in Navan and Drogheda

It's only a shop, why the big drama???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Instead of a mickey mouse promotion like £ = € on clothing, I'd much prefer they drop their grocery prices, to bring them into line with their UK profit margin.

Having said that, I do my shopping in Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi, so I'm a grocery-whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Local butchers = loads cheaper and way better quality.

O'Sullivans Tralee,

5lb good beef mince, €8 (local)
    10 steak burgers (1 is a meal) €6 (local)
    2 large chickens €14 (local, does not shrink)
    Pale Back Bacon 4lbs €10 (really good stuff)

Enough meat there for 9 meals for a family of 4 plus snacks - €38

Veg, local grocers doing pinks for 50c kilo.
    Carrots, cabbage etc, cheap as chips.

works out at around €1 per head per meal.

Try to beat that at Tesco (take into account the quality of the produce)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have had experience in tesco Phibsboro, Rathmines, Rathfarnam. I have also been in Paul Street Cork so I am not talking about one store here. Their fruit and Veg is acknowledged by all who have shopped around to be the worst of any of the supermarkets. I buy meat in the butcher because it is cheaper then the supermarket. Also I buy lots of products in Aldi and Lidl so I dont look down on people as suggested earlier. Its all my opinion I dont mind where you shop to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jip wrote: »
    Irish farmers should be more upset with people on boards than with Tesco due to people sayng how bad their meat is. Simple fact is that it's no worse than any other supermarket.

The meat argument makes no sense to me. Meat is not meat. There is a huge variance in quality of meat and the prices reflect this. If you are paying a pittance you will get crappy meat, same as if u pay pennies for silk, you get ****ty silk.

For products like mince, burgers, sausages etc there is huge difference between "Good" and "Bad", both in butchers and in stores.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Local butchers = loads cheaper and way better quality.
    I don't have a problem with Tesco quality so I don't see a difference there, and if anything my experience with prices is that they tend to be higher locally, but that doesn't stop me shopping locally some of the time. Supporting local businesses and producers directly would be the primary factor for me.
    kmick wrote: »
    Their fruit and Veg is acknowledged by all who have shopped around to be the worst of any of the supermarkets.
    All? Have you interviewed them "all" individually? I've certainly shopped around, and I haven't been presented with your survey. I look forward to completing it.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    For products like mince, burgers, sausages etc there is huge difference between "Good" and "Bad", both in butchers and in stores.
    Absolutely, and in most shops - multiple and local - you can take your pick. Mince in particular is a great example, since different types of mince suit different types of meals -- in Tesco and most local butchers you can usually get at least two different qualities of mince, and often 3 or more.

(OT: I got scary stuff last week for burgers; I usually get the cheapest because it's has the most flavour, but I overstepped the mark. The fat I poured off the frying pan blocked the drain! Ewww! Never again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Really simple test here, drain minced beef with boiling water, see how much it costs to get a kilo after draining all the fat.

Bet anyone €100 that Tesco is more expensive than my local butcher.

Tesco don't have butchers, they have service assistants. I can find 4 time served quality butchers in town who know how to cut, treat & care for the food.

Think a Tesco employee is going to give a damn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

(OT: I got scary stuff last week for burgers; I usually get the cheapest because it's has the most flavour, but I overstepped the mark. The fat I poured off the frying pan blocked the drain! Ewww! Never again!)

Was it the tesco value stuff??? I made spag-bol with it recently, had the same near drain blockage, and the leftovers in the fridge had great big solid lumps of fat in it :eek:

The fat I poured off the frying pan blocked the drain! Ewww! Never again!)[/I]
    What were you thinking pouring frying pan fat down a drain? No wonder it got blocked.

calex71 wrote: »
    Was it the tesco value stuff??? I made spag-bol with it recently, had the same near drain blockage, and the leftovers in the fridge had great big solid lumps of fat in it :eek:
    I don't think it was, but it was the cheapest stuff. I'll get the middle stuff in future. The lean stuff has no flavour to it.
    What were you thinking pouring frying pan fat down a drain? No wonder it got blocked.
    I don't use fat in my frying pan, I use vegetable oil. The fat was from the mince, and this is the first time I've ever had mince that fatty. And mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"What were you thinking pouring frying pan fat down a drain? No wonder it got blocked."

"I don't use fat in my frying pan, I use vegetable oil. The fat was from the mince, and this is the first time I've ever had mince that fatty. And mind your own business"

LOL!

I don't use fat in my frying pan, I use vegetable oil. The fat was from the mince, and this is the first time I've ever had mince that fatty. And mind your own business.
    Firstly, dont post what you did on a public boards if you dont want people to comment on it. Secondly, anyone with their wits about them knows not to pour oil or fatty substances down a sink's drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Firstly, dont post what you did on a public boards if you dont want people to comment on it. Secondly, anyone with their wits about them knows not to pour oil or fatty substances down a sink's drain.
    The trick is to not use any oil at all, the fat that comes out will make up for it and +1 on the boiling water tip.

Advertisement