Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm finished with Tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fatboypee wrote: »
    Just my 2p..
    euro pound parity?
    Jip wrote: »
    Ah, but it's so much easier to complain on the interweb than actually doing anything to resolve the issue in store with a manager.
    the managers dont care at all they just want complaining customers to shut the hell up and get out of the store!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

grenache wrote: »
    This t-shirt was cleary marked '£3/€4.50'. I asked a sales assistant just to make sure and she said this was the correct price. So much for their new price reductions!

It was the right price!

Did you ask her if you would be paying €4.50?

The store in Wilton had 26 red white banners over each section in clothing saying 'pay the sterling price in euro' last time I was there. (weekend before last)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

I'm inclined to agree with the OP. I'm getting tired of Tesco. I shop there most weekends, because its the largest supermarket in my area. I'm always on the look out for special offers, and especially now I'm down to a three day week :( I have to watch my pennies.

What annoys me is that while Tesco from time to time has great offers, and you can make a good saving, the basics that people require are ALWAYS higher than the equivalent product in the likes of Lidl etc.

I'm starting to do more shopping in Lidl, and I'm also beginning to buy my meat from my local butchers. And I do agree with another poster here that I can spend the same in the butchers (or most likley less) and get WAY more stuff, and the quality isn't even comparable to the crap that tesco has.

I wouldn't touch Tesco Value meat. Its muck. Seriously bad...

I'd love to see the likes of Sainsburys etc come to Ireland. Tesco has no real competitor. My nearest Dunnes is a 30 min drive. The only 'low cost' supermarket we have in my area, is a small sized Lidl. As I said we I do some of my shopping in Lidl, but the choice of product isn't great.

It just gets depressing when I've got a half full shopping trolley (having tried to buy the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to essentials like toilet paper / shampoos / black sacks / bread / butter etc) and its still pushing nearly €100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ch750536 wrote: »
    Bet anyone €100 that Tesco is more expensive than my local butcher.
    Where does your local butcher's meat come from? I'm not refuting your claim outright, but economies of scale make it very hard to believe, unless he's using imported meat.
    grenache wrote: »
    Secondly, anyone with their wits about them knows not to pour oil or fatty substances down a sink's drain.
    Anyone with a brain in their head would have read the post they're replying to before commenting on it.
    seaner wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch Tesco Value meat. Its muck. Seriously bad.
    Define bad please. What bad meat did you get? How many times? How many stores did you go to?

Hey if this guy thinks the meat is muck maybe he should advise Tesco to source their meat outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

dahamsta wrote: »
    Anyone with a brain in their head would have read the post they're replying to before commenting on it.
    Perhaps you'd wish to extrapolate on that for me?? The irony of that post isn't lost on me, considering you poured oil down your sink ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Where does your local butcher's meat come from? I'm not refuting your claim outright, but economies of scale make it very hard to believe, unless he's using imported meat.QUOTE]

You obviously have not been in a butchers recently? Local butchers are cheaper for the last 2-3 years. Also local fruit and veg shops tend to be cheaper on spuds, carrots i.e. non imported stuff. Lidl and Aldi is cheaper on stuff like washing powder, black bags, i.e. non food items. Tesco's own figures show they are 0.5% more expensive than Dunnes. So if you are saying that tesco is cheaper it just does not stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

Define bad please. What bad meat did you get? How many times? How many stores did you go to?

Well I mean that the cheapest ranges that Tesco have, that is, their Tesco Value range, in my opinion is of a much lower standard compared to similarly priced meat products from my butchers.

I've had experience with their mince, chickens (whole and fillets) and especially their steaks.

With the mince, its mostly fat. You can see it even in its raw state and its more evident upon cooking. I used it once for a spag bol and the amount of meat I started out with had halved by the time it was finished cooking, because most of the meat was made up of fat. The mince that did remain was swimming in a pan full of fat. Not particularly a nice sight. And don't worry I didn't drain this down my sink! ;)

The chickens (tesco value chicken breasts) are nice and plump and appear to be of decent quality in their raw state. But when they are cooked they are stringy, tasteless and probably pumped full of something to make them look a lot more succulent than they actually are.

Their steaks...well I can't even compare a Tesco steak to my local butchers steak. Honestly...there's a world of difference. I like fillet steak, although from time to time I'll have striploin. The steaks I can purchase from my local butchers are mouth-watering and delicious. Any tesco steaks I've had (now remember i'm comparing like with like when it comes to price...i'm sure their Tesco Finest range is nice enough) are streaky with fat throughout the entire steak and like i said...are muck!

I'm giving this opinion on my own experience within my local Tesco. I'm certainly not saying that EVERY Tesco store in the whole of Ireland has similar standards. However I think for me to report my experiences from my local Tesco is reasonable and fair. And even if I were to find that a Tesco further from my local, has much higher standards when it comes to their meat products, why should I have to travel afar to get decent meat? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, no more discussion on Adam's pipes, please!

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

You obviously have not been in a butchers recently? Local butchers are cheaper for the last 2-3 years. Also local fruit and veg shops tend to be cheaper on spuds, carrots i.e.

New season locally grown queens in local greengrocer (Tralee) @ €5-50kg
    expensive yes, but well worth it IMO, yummy.

I also shop in local butchers, where 90% of their meat and poultry is sourced locally. I do find vacumed packed corned beef from Dunnes quiet good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Where does your local butcher's meat come from? I'm not refuting your claim outright, but economies of scale make it very hard to believe, unless he's using imported meat.

Agreed - no way is tesco more expensive than a local butchers.
    The reason? Because Tesco ACTIVELY SUPPORT ANIMAL CRUELTY - intensive farming, battery farming etc. A chicken selling for 3-4 euro is not a chicken that has had a good life and therefore will taste like crap, just like all of Tesco's produce.

My local Tesco in Edinburgh was selling roast chickens for £1.99 the other day. Under two pounds! When you take into account how much "value add" they're taking from the actual cooking of the chicken, you can guarantee the farmer received under £1 for that poor, pathetic bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is this another wild claim just because you suspect something without actually having any hard evidence to back it up ? I'm not saying it's not true but I think any allegation like this should be fully backed up with proof and evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Is this another wild claim just because you suspect something without actually having any hard evidence to back it up ? I'm not saying it's not true but I think any allegation like this should be fully backed up with proof and evidence.

Big TV series done on Channell 4 last Autumn showing how Tesco/Morrissons/ASDA chickens were reared. It was not a pretty sight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

newman10 wrote: »
    Big TV series done on Channell 4 last Autumn showing how Tesco/Morrissons/ASDA chickens were reared. It was not a pretty sight

I saw that show alright, nasty stuff but surely that sort of thing isn't confined to the above mentioned stores?

Saw that, wasn't that Tesco UK ? Whereas the chicken in Ireland comes from both the republic and the north ? That's not including ready meals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I posted a link, with all the sources.
    www.sulmeat.com

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I'm not quiet sure but if you change the makeup of imported chicken and dose it with breadcrumbs and garlic you can put an iriish sticker on the package. I stand to be corrected.

Another matter here is that with the demand for cheaper food prices the producer ie farmer or co-op is going to be squeezed and we will end up in an UK situation whereby the Supermarket is able to dictate and what is "good for the Supermarket is good for the public"

Then Standards will fall and we will have become another Shire :eek:

Dont know if its not too late and no I am not in any way attatched to the Food Business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

eth0_ wrote: »
    Agreed - no way is tesco more expensive than a local butchers.
    The reason? Because Tesco ACTIVELY SUPPORT ANIMAL CRUELTY - intensive farming, battery farming e....

Yes, sorry. I only buy free range chickens. Tesco ones are more expensive than my local butcher.

Also, www.sulmeat.com for the organic low fat pork sausages, hand made from Dingle. ftw.

newman10 wrote: »
    I'm not quiet sure but if you change the makeup of imported chicken and dose it with breadcrumbs and garlic you can put an iriish sticker on the package. I stand to be corrected.

It applies to any product someway processed in any EU country, once it's processed it can then be said to be a product of that country. A change to this has been resisted in Europe. However I did say the chicken comes from Ireland and Northern Ireland, i.e. sourced, not processed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Saw that, wasn't that Tesco UK ? Whereas the chicken in Ireland comes from both the republic and the north ? That's not including ready meals though.

If you saw the laughable amount Tesco force their suppliers to accept, you wouldn't be at all surprised to see intensive/cruel farming happening in Ireland too.

And even if their suppliers in Ireland are ok, I wouldn't buy a thing off them because they still actively support and encourage animal cruelty in the UK with their £1.99 chickens and cheap meat.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

guys regardless of the supermarket - you should never buy your meat or veg from them

support your local butcher and veg shop

the food is cheap for a reason.

think about it

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you saw the laughable amount Tesco force their suppliers to accept, you wouldn't be at all surprised to see intensive/cruel farming happening in Ireland too.

And even if their suppliers in Ireland are ok, I wouldn't buy a thing off them because they still actively support and encourage animal cruelty in the UK with their £1.99 chickens and cheap meat.

ok so I am vegetarian, but if you were to remove these products from stores there would be uproar.

I say have a picture of the birds dwellings on the wrapper as a health warning.

By the way my only experience of somebody asking for loads of value chickens and eggs was for a local cafe!

Advertisement