Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droopey Eyes On Dog

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Local vet says my dog (cocker spaniel) has droopey eyes. Vet doesn't think it will effect her but is it a sign of bad breeding I was wondering? I'm worried about breeding my dog now.

Vet says that it could be fixed surgically in the future if it became a big problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dunno to be honest.

Im making up a new rule for pet issues.
    Anytime anyone mentions their pet, they have to post a picture aswell haha.
    Im not a mod, just loves animals.

Pics or GTFO lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Personally, not that I breed dogs lol, but I wouldn't breed him. If he has to have surgery the vet could neuter him at the same time that way he wouldn't have to under go a second anesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Triton wrote: »
    but is it a sign of bad breeding I was wondering? I'm worried about breeding my dog now.

If you don't know whether it is a sign of bad breeding, then you shouldn't be considering breeding her in the first place tbh.
    As for the condition itself, just follow the advise of your vet and if you have doubts, get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

most cockers have a slight droop to their eyes, but if its more then the average i wouldnt breed your dog as cockers are already prone to eye problems without more genes that will affect their eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

If the dog needs surgery to correct an eye problem then surely you wouldnt breed from it?
    Would you be breeding for the better of the breed or just to make a quick buck?

It may be a sign of bad breeding, but it could also just be one of those things that happen. Either way, it is best if you dont breed from her.

Triton wrote: »
    Local vet says my dog (cocker spaniel) has droopey eyes. Vet doesn't think it will effect her but is it a sign of bad breeding I was wondering? I'm worried about breeding my dog now.

Vet says that it could be fixed surgically in the future if it became a big problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I noticed the same thing happening with Boxers. Droopy saggy eyes and droopy saggy jowls. What is going on with breeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Spoke to vet again. She says it isn't bad at all and dog would be great to breed from as she has an excellent temperament. She says that the droop is so slight that the dog may actually 'grow into her skin' as she grows.

kildara wrote: »
    If the dog needs surgery to correct an eye problem then surely you wouldnt breed from it?
    Would you be breeding for the better of the breed or just to make a quick buck?

It may be a sign of bad breeding, but it could also just be one of those things that happen. Either way, it is best if you dont breed from her.

I plan to breed from her as she's a gorgeous dog and I want a pup from her myself. Several people have also enquired about getting a pup from her someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but just because she has a good temperament is not good enough reason to breed your dog. Im very surprised a vet would recommend that just because of temperament too.

Has your dog had all the necessary checks for the breed?? how do you know it is a good example of the breed? have you had an expert in the breed look at her? She has already shown she is not, as she has problems with her eyes which is more than likely hereditary and you pose the risk of passing that on to any pups that she has.
    When you breed a dog you are trying to improve the breed not risk passing on defects to pups which you would be doing if you bred from her.

Any decent owner of a stud dog would not let you use him on your bitch as she already has problems.

I just dont understand people, they think because their dog "looks" pretty and has a nice temperament is good enough reason to breed, when will people learn:confused::confused:

Hi Triton.

Your dog could be very well bred, but unfortunately the "show" people are responsible for bringing in a lot of defects into the breeds.

If it's what you want to do you should get copy of her pedigree, if you don't already have one, and then see if you can chat to a knowledgeable un-biased breeder, they would know more about her lines. then do a lot of research into the breed to see what one should actually look like to make it a good example of what a cocker should look like. I see a lot of them and they don't look like proper cocker's at all.

Maybe there is someone else here that is up on them that can point you in the right direction.

The droopy eye thing is getting quite common in a lot of the dogs these days and it's down to the breeders. bassets are awful, poor thing and bloodhounds, boxers are going the same way.

15-20 yrs ago I used to value show dogs but not now. Too many things going wrong. the main concern is that the dog should look like the breed standard and be free of any heriditary health problems. Look for a nice stud dog that hasn't got droopy eyes, that way you start to breed it out rather than in.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

• Advertisement

Cloudy, its nothing to do with showing whether this dog should be bred from, it already has a health problem even if it is minor, so therefore should not be bred from.

You say that droopy eyes are a problem in breeds, but yet you still advise that she could breed from this dog, you are totally contradicting yourself there, if they are trying to improve the breed and not pass on droopy eyes then do not breed from a bitch that already has droppy eyes.

I would def advise against breeding of this dog as it already has a health defect.

andreac wrote: »
    Cloudy, its nothing to do with showing whether this dog should be bred from, it already has a health problem even if it is minor, so therefore should not be bred from.

You say that droopy eyes are a problem in breeds, but yet you still advise that she could breed from this dog, you are totally contradicting yourself there, if they are trying to improve the breed and not pass on droopy eyes then do not breed from a bitch that already has droppy eyes.

I would def advise against breeding of this dog as it already has a health defect.
    Sorry, but just because she has a good temperament is not good enough reason to breed your dog. Im very surprised a vet would recommend that just because of temperament too.

Has your dog had all the necessary checks for the breed?? how do you know it is a good example of the breed? have you had an expert in the breed look at her? She has already shown she is not, as she has problems with her eyes which is more than likely hereditary and you pose the risk of passing that on to any pups that she has.
    When you breed a dog you are trying to improve the breed not risk passing on defects to pups which you would be doing if you bred from her.

Any decent owner of a stud dog would not let you use him on your bitch as she already has problems.

I just dont understand people, they think because their dog "looks" pretty and has a nice temperament is good enough reason to breed, when will people learn

In fairness andreac, you seem to have a bit of an elitist attitude and it seems to be the norm on this board which is a pity. People come here to try and get a bit of advice, not have your opinion rammed down their throat.

A qualified professional has seen my dog and says she looks good to breed from. Are you a qualified professional? Have you seen my dog?

The dog has slightly (and the vet reiterated slightly to me) droopy eyes which the vet feels the dog will more than likely grow out of. She also says it can be easily mended if required (although she doesn't think it will) and she, who has a veterinary degree, says it wouldn't affect breeding at all. Now what exactly are you basing your opinion on that you ram it down my throat and basically try to say that I am stupid to think about breeding?

The vet has confirmed to me that she will do the tests for me next year when the dog is 14 months old or so and fully grown but, to be honest, your attitude stinks and I'd prefer if you didn't presume that these tests are not going to be done.

It's attitudes like yours on here that push people away from the Board. Most of the people on here are coming on here to get advice about their dogs. That means they're a downsight more caring than the majority of people who wouldn't even bother. Yet, when they do, they have to listen to others like you harp on and presume you know more than qualified veterinary people.

That's my rant over.

Firstly i never presumed anything and i i never called you stupid.

There are so many people breeding dogs out there just because their dog has a good temperament and not for the right reasons. There are many people out there clueless as to what breeding dogs involves and unless we educate people why you really breed then people will continue breeding unhealthy dogs.
    You asked for advice and you got it, is it because you didnt get the advice you wanted to hear and now you assume that people are ramming their opinion down their throats??
    This is all to common on this board too, people as for advice, they get it, whether its the advice they want to hear or not, but when its not what they want to hear they assume people are ramming opinions, its called ADVICE, what you asked for.

Why do people come on looking for advice and then get pissed off when its stuff they dont wanna hear?? There are people on here that have a lot of experience with breeding dogs and will ADVISE you not to breed from this dog as its not the right thing to do, but you obv dont want to take their advice on board.
    Next time if you dont want peoples advice or opinions, dont bother coming onto a forums board like this.

I dont get you, you asked for advice, you got it, and now you accuse people of calling you stupid and ramming opinions on you. I dont know why we bother trying to help people out on this board:mad:

Firstly i never presumed anything and i i never called you stupid.

There are so many people breeding dogs out there just because their dog has a good temperament and not for the right reasons. There are many people out there clueless as to what breeding dogs involves and unless we educate people why you really breed then people will continue breeding unhealthy dogs.
    You asked for advice and you got it, is it because you didnt get the advice you wanted to hear and now you assume that people are ramming their opinion down their throats??
    This is all to common on this board too, people as for advice, they get it, whether its the advice they want to hear or not, but when its not what they want to hear they assume people are ramming opinions, its called ADVICE, what you asked for.

Why do people come on looking for advice and then get pissed off when its stuff they dont wanna hear?? There are people on here that have a lot of experience with breeding dogs and will ADVISE you not to breed from this dog as its not the right thing to do, but you obv dont want to take their advice on board.
    Next time if you dont want peoples advice or opinions, dont bother coming onto a forums board like this.

I dont get you, you asked for advice, you got it, and now you accuse people of calling you stupid and ramming opinions on you. I dont know why we bother trying to help people out on this board:mad:

There is giving some advice and then there is this:

She has already shown she is not, as she has problems with her eyes which is more than likely hereditary and you pose the risk of passing that on to any pups that she has.

I just dont understand people, they think because their dog "looks" pretty and has a nice temperament is good enough reason to breed, when will people learn

You make a number of presumptions there and, to be honest, reading the post, I would think you do everything but label me stupid eg. "when will people learn".

How exactly do you know what any "decent owner of a stud dog" would say? You say they wouldn't allow their dog to breed with mine but, as I've said, you haven't seen my dog.

May I ask you again, what exactly are your qualifications to give out advice on breeding? I admit I have asked for advice but I was looking for some general chat and people's opinions, not to be told that I should NEVER breed my dog, which seems to be what you are saying. That someone can decide that without even seeing a dog amazes me and is why I question you.

I get the feeling from your post that I'm not the first person you've angered and it doesn't surprise me. Giving advice and ramming your opinion down people's throats are two different things but you seem to aim for the jugular with your opinions.

After all, you have no real info about my dog's 'condition' (which the vet now says isn't even a condition) but you're telling me my dog shouldn't be bred!

I have the opinion of a person who has studied animals, is a professional in the area and who came highly recommended by other local dog owners. My dog also came from a reputable breeder and I can assure you she is far better looked after than the majority of dogs. She is also fed on one of the highest quality dog food there is, James Wellbeloved.

So again I'll ask, where exactly does your expertise come from or how can you dismiss what a qualified vet has said and place your opinion above that? The problem with opinions is that everyone has one. A top dog behaviourist recommended Nutro food to me. But do you think I'd feed it to my dog after reading consumeraffairs.com? I did the research and found that James Wellbeloved got the best feedback from owners, including the people who use this site.

That said, I respected that person's opinion and looked into Nutro because they communicated their opinion in the correct manner. I can't say the same of your opinion.

You came on here asking for advice/opinions and you got it, and now you are accusing people of ramming opinions down your throat?

If you didnt want to get advice from all angles why bother coming on in the first place?

If you only wanted expert advice from people with qualifications, why come on a forums board like this and ask the general publics advice?

A lot of us here have experience and knowledge of breeding and are trying to help you out but what do you do?? accuse people of calling you stupid etc.
    I wasnt the only one who advised NOT to breed your dog by the way.

Yes, most owners of a good stud dog would not allow someone to use their dog if they have a health defect and im not just talking about yours, im talking in general, if someone is in it to improve the health and standard of the breed and not just for a quick buck, they will not use a dog that has a defect.

If you read back on the majority of the posts, most people ADVISE you not to breed this dog, and most of these people would have a lot of experience in breeding and owning dogs.

You say yourself in your first post you are worried about breeding her and you have asked peoples advice on what to do, and you got that, but it obv wasnt what you wanted to hear.

Read back on this thread, 7 people replied of which 5 advised not to breed from her, i think that speaks for itself.

Hi Titon, pretty much have to agree with what you've said.
    everytime someone comes onto this DISCUSSION FORUM to chat to others about things Andreac is there, forcing her opinions on others, like a dictator.

Said on a previous post she doesn't breed dogs herself ! that she only has one dog which she shows.

Immediately takes it on that nobody else must have a clue about anything only herself. Is very rude and arrogant and opinionated to an unbearable level. Frankly I get sick of seeing her attack people time and time again.

Amazing how all the PROPER breeders are responsible for most of the problems prevalent in the breeds these days. thankfully, due to recent revelations it's all coming out. Stuff which some of us already knew.

If you can't be nice to people and be polite, say nothing is best.

You came on here asking for advice/opinions and you got it, and now you are accusing people of ramming opinions down your throat?

If you didnt want to get advice from all angles why bother coming on in the first place?

If you only wanted expert advice from people with qualifications, why come on a forums board like this and ask the general publics advice?

A lot of us here have experience and knowledge of breeding and are trying to help you out but what do you do?? accuse people of calling you stupid etc.
    I wasnt the only one who advised NOT to breed your dog by the way.

Yes, most owners of a good stud dog would not allow someone to use their dog if they have a health defect and im not just talking about yours, im talking in general, if someone is in it to improve the health and standard of the breed and not just for a quick buck, they will not use a dog that has a defect.

If you read back on the majority of the posts, most people ADVISE you not to breed this dog, and most of these people would have a lot of experience in breeding and owning dogs.

You say yourself in your first post you are worried about breeding her and you have asked peoples advice on what to do, and you got that, but it obv wasnt what you wanted to hear.

Read back on this thread, 7 people replied of which 5 advised not to breed from her, i think that speaks for itself.

But you aren't just giving your opinion andreac, you are giving a sermon and, to be honest, you're making a fairly large assessment based on the fact that you have never seen the dog.

I do want to get advice from all angles but advice like yours is not needed to be honest. Most advice on her is considerdate and thoughtful, yours isn't. You've basically assessed the dog without even seeing it.

Where are these 5?
    If you don't know whether it is a sign of bad breeding, then you shouldn't be considering breeding her in the first place tbh.
    As for the condition itself, just follow the advise of your vet and if you have doubts, get a second opinion.

I haven't been told not to breed the dog there, my own ability to breed has been questioned but that is why I am visiting the vet and seeking info on her and breeding. I also wouldn't breed the dog until she is at least two. She's eight months now so I've plenty of time to research.
    most cockers have a slight droop to their eyes, but if its more then the average i wouldnt breed your dog as cockers are already prone to eye problems without more genes that will affect their eyes!

Here I'm told that if the problem is more than average not to breed the dog. However, the problem is not more than average, as confirmed by the vet. This user isn't coming on here diagnosing that I shouldn't breed straight up like you are.

So only three people have said I shouldn't breed her. You, guineapigrescue and kildara. And none have been as forciful as you.

Also, since I posted this thread, I have spoken to the vet again, as I say later, and she expects the dog to actually grow out of the small, and can I reiterate small, problem she has. Either way, the vet will be assessing her again in 12 months before I breed her.

And what do you know about these people who give advice? You seem to presume they have great knowledge of breeding and owning dogs. However, guineapigrescue says he/she does not breed dogs and cloudy day reckons you don't breed dogs. So that leaves one person who's given feedback that may be a breeder?

And may I ask again, what is your record with dogs or where does your knowledge come from that you can assess a dog and give such an in-depth analysis without seeing the dog? I think anyone can see that no-one else has given an analysis quite like yourself in saying the dog shouldn't be bred and wouldn't be allowed near a stud dog.

I do ask for advice and opinion on here but, as with anything, I only add it to other research I've done and don't take it as gospel. If I can't breed the dog I can't breed her and that won't trouble me. She's still a lovely dog.

And saying things like "when will people learn" in reply is basically the same as calling someone stupid in my book. It's certainly very patronising.

cloudy day wrote: »
    everytime someone comes onto this DISCUSSION FORUM to chat to others about things Andreac is there, forcing her opinions on others, like a dictator.

Said on a previous post she doesn't breed dogs herself ! that she only has one dog which she shows.

Immediately takes it on that nobody else must have a clue about anything only herself. Is very rude and arrogant and opinionated to an unbearable level. Frankly I get sick of seeing her attack people time and time again.

Amazing how all the PROPER breeders are responsible for most of the problems prevalent in the breeds these days. thankfully, due to recent revelations it's all coming out. Stuff which some of us already knew.

I agree totally and its a problem on this forum. Some people attempt to force their opinion on others. Everyone has different opinions and people post on here to get advice from everyone and then make a decison themselves.

Also, as I stated above, if people care enough about their dog to be doing research etc. on here then they are doing a damn sight more than the majority of dog owners.

Where else have i attacked people Cloudy?? So giving an opinion or advice is attacking people now? if you come on a forums board you are going to get advice from all angles, and the angles you dont want to hear is attacking someone??

A while back there was a woman looking for a hybrid, cav x shihtzu I think, memory fails me. You jumped right in there with going on about your views on "mutts" and decent bredders and blah blah.

They more or less told you to get lost and mind your own business, I remember it well.

It's a DISCUSSION forum, not an attack site for others to feel free to vent their anger at others just because they don't agree.

People should be able to come here and chat to others about stuff and make friends, whether it's about breeding, tail docking whatever.

If she's got 20 dogs of all different breeds and wants to cross them and mix them or dowhatever she wants, as long as she soed it properly and cares for the dog it's nobody's business.

PLUS you haven't given one valid answer to any of her questions, in response to your attitude, why not.

If you have never bred a dog in your life or not owned more than one breed then you have no qualifications or experience whatsoever to draw from to give credit to your opinions. Why don't you answer her very valid points and tell her why and how you are qualified to make such an assesment on an animal you've not even seen and know nothing about.

Not all of us have the time to show our dogs. Some people here have experience of numerous different breeds accrued from a life times involvement not just with dogs but a variety of many different animals, and it's all relevent, breeding is breeding. We don't all "just" get it from books.

We've all got opinions, but that doesn't mean we have the right to upset others just because it's not what we would do.

I'm sure Triton was hoping to chat with others that could give her more info based on their experiences with the breed. She (I'm assuming so triton) sounds like a very responsible person and has backed up all her queries with the assistance of a VET.

There are plenty others out there that don't give a damn about the dogs they are breeding nor do they care about quality and breed standard.

• Advertisement

Where else have i attacked people Cloudy?? So giving an opinion or advice is attacking people now? if you come on a forums board you are going to get advice from all angles, and the angles you dont want to hear is attacking someone??

There's a way of getting your point across and yours is totally the wrong way. You've also given a very extreme opinion without even seeing the dog.

I agree totally with everything cloudy day has said. I came on here looking for a bit of chat in general to see about the breed. You put me off asking any questions again. If driving away people from this board is your goal, you'll soon achieve it.

Hi Triton

Please don't feel put off by Andreac remarks and stay away from the forum. Watch Tv3 tonight. Pedigree dog breeding exposed.
    Cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Hi Triton

Please don't feel put off by Andreac remarks and stay away from the forum. Watch Tv3 tonight. Pedigree dog breeding exposed.
    Cloudy

Is that the BBC programme Pedigree Dogs Exposed?

kildara wrote: »
    Is that the BBC programme Pedigree Dogs Exposed?

Yep, it was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why are people so obsessed with breeding their dogs when there are thousands of unwanted dogs killed every year ?. Surely any dog lover would want to a) not make the problem worse & b) encourage people to home rescue dogs rather than buying a pedigree pup. If one is a dog lover then how can one justify buying a pedigree pup when you could literally save a dog's life by taking a rescue. There are many pedigree dogs in the rescues & they suffer the same fate as the mutts.

I have heard that rescues that are trying to rehome bitches often have dogs rejected because they have been spayed, because the new owner wants to breed from them. Does the fact that a bitch can generate well over a thousand euro per litter have anything to do with the desire to breed ?.

I have two rescue bitches, both spayed & I still get asked if I am going to breed from them. One of the reasons why Ireland has such an appalling killing rate is because of the huge number of puppies that are bred. I wonder that if we could close the puppy farms & then have a voluntary two year breeding ban how it would affect the numbers killed ?.

Advertisement