Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams that are great, terrifying and make you sweat

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Jaysus last night I had this dream - bizarre but so realistic. During my dream there was suppose to be an eclipse of the sun and there was but also this huge meteor shower would go by at the same time. The dots from the meteor shower where red in the sky and stretched the horizon, the sun was exactly as an eclipse should be. Anyway I went fighting the bad guys (as you do in every dream) in a "modern Dublin" no doubt I have yet to see. I beat him and go home to my estate. Im playing footy with my mates when one of the "meteors" shoots over my head and my estate (it sounded like a jet) but it was not a meteor it was a moon. I looked over the horizon where it was going and it plummeted to Earth quickly (you know that awful feeling in dreams where the experts say it will pass and not effect us but it does!?) - I thought that exact thing but it was just a dream. The moon crashed into the Earth probrably around Scotland from where I live and I ducked for cover knowing the shockwave was coming. There the dream ended but I literally woke up scared and sweating. For about 5 seconds I did not know reality from the dream.

The point is the dream was so realistic - no computer program could every recreate it with such realism. It seemed too real to be true if you know what I mean.

Seriously the mind plays a good game when sleeping. Scared the hell out of me countless times in the last few years. It's just so realistic sometimes you wake up for the split second thinking it is reality (because mostly it is a distortion of your own world).

So what's the best, most memorable, or rather terrifying dreams you have had? Why are they so real? That's what I want to know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

no more cheese for you before bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I was chased by an evil ostrich once in a dream. Probably not what you were looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

A7X wrote: »
    no more cheese for you before bedtime.

Is it true cheese leads to bad dreams or maybe deeper dreams:confused: - cause I do eat a fair bit of cheese. Have you experienced this phenomonen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is it true cheese leads to bad dreams or maybe deeper dreams:confused: - cause I do eat a fair bit of cheese. Have you experienced this phenomonen?

Its supposedly linked to nightmares and such but I dunno if its proven. I can hardly ever remember dreams. I usually remember the nudey ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

My own most terrifying dream that I can still vividly remember was when I was about 9. I was after watching an episode of Quantum Leap that had the devil in it. Funnily enough the whole episode was part of a dream sequence if I remember correctly. I guess my subconscious has a sense of humour.

I was practising solos with a football in my front garden which was normal enough for me then, when I started to get a horrible feeling of dread. Then a goat turned up and I looked in the reflection of the window at the front of my house and my reflection was Al from Quantum Leap as the devil. Sounds funny now but I woke up in a sweat and can still vividly recall that dream about 15 years later.

• Advertisement

Ah there is more to it then just cheese - I mean some dreams are extremely realistic even if they are not nightmares. And I remember several dreams in my time - won't forget last night in a hurry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Good thread timing from you...

Last night I dreamt I killed a man who broke ito my house and was going to kill my dad. I stabbed him about 80 times, choked him repeatedly and snapped his neck.

True story. Extremely vivid, woke up dripping sweat.

I ate lotsa junk before bed though, may have been connected.

Javaboy - do you agree with me that dreams (even if not nightmares) can be almost disturbingly real seeming? In some dreams you can sense the physicalities of what you touch and what you do - it is bizarre they are so real. The mind must be in overtime to calculate that information so quickly when you think about it - to create the environment alone. Makes my top of the range PC seem a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

darkman2 wrote: »
    Javaboy - do you agree with me that dreams (even if not nightmares) can be almost disturbingly real seeming? In some dreams you can sense the physicalities of what you touch and what you do - it is bizarre they are so real. The mind must be in overtime to calculate that information so quickly when you think about it - to create the environment alone. Makes my top of the range PC seem a piece of crap.

Yup it can be freakishly realistic. Creative G-Force eat your heart out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I've dreamt twice that my oh murdered someone:(. One particular one I was in a sweat. He had a fight with a neighbour and did away with him(no such person), It was so real!!I helped him roll him up in a carpet and we put black bin liners on him and buried him on a beach. The difficulties we had in getting him into the car without anyone seeing..We kept driving up to the beach to check the sand didn't blow off and this one time there was a man with a black labrador who was sniffing around it. I was in an awful state..thinking i was off to jail too for aiding and abetting.
    The other night I dreamt two fellas attacked him and he killed one of them with a hairbrush:D:D:D. Don't know what happened to the body but next thing I remember was one of his mates was blackmailing us as he had the hairbrush with the blood and stuff on it. I jumped on him and got the hairbrush off him but then wasn't it on Crimecall and they were offering a reward for witnesses:eek::(. Then I woke up thanks be to fcuk! I don't know how murderers cope with the stress levels:confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I don't remember any of my dreams :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Man, I had one last night, was so weird, to start with it was a combination of a few dreams (that happens a lot) but the crux of it was I was on a weekend away in a house in the country with a few people, I don't know any of them but in the dream I did.. Anyway turned out the house was haunted by a playful poltergeist type thing, wasn't scary at all, we were having great craic with it.. but it turned nasty and it all a bit 'Amityville'... woke up in a sweat.. couldn't go back to sleep for ages... *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I had a horrible nightmare about 2 weeks back.

To understand just how scary this is you need to understand I live in a two story house, and I went to bed with my window wide open and curtains half closed.
    Well my dream started with me waking up - in my dream - and there was this long, scrawny arm coming in through the gap in my curtains from my window. It waved up and down a few times like a person frantically looking for some thing. It had sinister looking claws and I remember having this incredibly intense feeling of fear. It put its hands on the end of my bed and pulled the bed sheets. At this stage, I woke up and to this day I can swear that I THINK I say "the arm" go out the window and push the window closed but the handle was still open. I remember jumping forward and looking out the window. It was pitch dark and I was drowned in sweat and my bed seats were all on the ground, as was my blanket and sure enough my window was closed but not locked so to speak..

It really was a bizarre mare :confused:

After reading this I realised it sounds like a scene from "Signs"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Always get these kinds of dreams.

One i very vividly remember, and also scared the **** out of me was one where i was with this some sorta archeological team and we came around these ruins in the middle of nowhere.
    It was a bit of something from Tomb Raider. Then we were all in this one hall with many windows and there were these faces figures sticking out from the walls. Really evil looking faces. I got a really bad feeling while in there and then suddenly the windows start closing shut and these faces started to take life and step out of the walls like some sorta prehistoric monsters. It was absolutely crazy and i was scared ****less!

I managed to leg it out of there and then i don't remember the next events too well. But it was just very weird. Though very exciting too cuz after that i was one of the only few survivors and then we were trying to find a way to get out of that place and fight these monsters...

And i have loads of such kind of dreams, they're amazingly real and vivid while i'm in the dream. A lot of times i find myself in the middle of a warzone, stuck in eerie places, crazy stuff. And then i wake up and go like, wow that was really exciting and could make a brilliant film!!

Oh and a few days ago i did have an armageddon dream too.
    Pretty vivid. Something that a meteor strikes the earth and everything blows up, we're running to take cover. Can't remember details anymore. I also like it how i end up becoming a very central character in all of these dreams. I end up trying to "save the day" and such!!
    Guess i watch too many movies!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Love these :)

Like a year ago had a great one, was running up to the shop in the middle of the night for some reason, when I noticed i was only in my boxers, started to sprint down the road home again when it started to lash down with extremely powerful gusts of wind.

Got to my driveway which is surrounded by trees and is just one small narrow winding lane, when I was halfway down the driveway the trees branches started to violently slash towards my face so I remember sprinting quicker again to avoid this awful weather.

Got to the end of the driveway where there is a opened gate, got to the verge of the gate when suddenly out of nowhere this ghost couple dressed up in very formal clothes walk gracefully past me, the couple looked ready for a wedding or something, I instantly turned around in mid sprint to see if i was imagining things but when I turn around the couple are right in front of my face, literally cm's.

Woke up screaming and in a cold sweat :)

The most vivid dream I have ever had.

Advertisement