Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera prices.. .

• 12-05-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all i just bought a new 5d mark ii(woooooooooo:D)

However when i was buying it i decided rather than wait online id rather shop around here and see what was cheapest. Im not sure if i can name the shops but for the sake of it we will say shop a and b.

Shop A, a very well known store, told me that the 5d was not sold with a lens and that canon only sell it as the body only. i said that i had heard it comes with a 24-105 lens to which i was told that this was actually sold seperatly that canon dont package both together. The price for the body i was told would (roughly i was be 50 euro off) 2800e for the body and 999e for the lens, i asked could he threw a free bag in for it to which he simply replied no.

Shop B, also a good shop, Walked into the store and told them what i was looking for - showed me a canon branded box with both the 5d and lens toghter directly sent from canon. The price straight off was much cheaper so i decided to purchase, before i could even ask he then gave me a really nice canon bag, 16gb memory card and lens cleaning kit for free. Total price for the lot 3350.

How can shop A justify charging over the odds by lying about the fact its body only so they can charge more for the lens seperate?

Mods tell me if i can name the shops also please:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Some shops have this "the price is the price" attitude and will not move whereas others see buying a camera as the start of a relationship with the customer, I'd say they think theres a fair chance you'll come back for lenses etc in the future.

And i wish I had your money boy, if you'd bought online you could have gotten that camera/lens combo for about €2900 and got delivery in 2 days. Still congrats on getting a 5d, its a camera and a half :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

No problem naming the shops as long as you are stating facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd like to know the shop name as well going to be on the market for a dSLR probably in a few months and I do like to try and support local first (but will have done my research vrs. online prices)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

forbairt wrote: »
    (but will have done my research vrs. online prices)

If that's the case then, you'll be buying online lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Not true ;)

Haggling=fantastic prices. Warranty applies in Ireland, as opposed to a HK warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does shop A have a very apt name? And shop B have a real cool I want one of those if only they were legal in Ireland name? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Does shop A have a very apt name? And shop B have a real cool I want one of those if only they were legal in Ireland name? :pac:

had to read that twice to get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Shop A= Conns Cameras

Shop B= The Camera Centre (tallaght)

Oh yes of course would have been cheaper online but i needed it for the weekend so said feck it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

And shop B have a real cool I want one of those if only they were legal in Ireland name? :pac:

Crossbow Cameras??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Crossbow Cameras??
    Nah thought it mght have been gunns :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Yeah I got a price today of body only Canon 5D markii = €2600 in the Camera Centre. Seems ok but will shop around a bit first! I always thought Conns were pretty decent!

2600?

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Is that "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeck what a rip off?!" or "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeck thats decent?!" !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Not true ;)

Haggling=fantastic prices. Warranty applies in Ireland, as opposed to a HK warranty.

I certainly agree, you'll never get a better price if you don't ask. I've gotten some very good bargains over the years by simply asking, "is this your best price".

ipod.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should call Gunn's and get a price from them too. They normally are a good bit cheaper than Conns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

are conns notorious for over pricing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

By name, and by nature??? :eek:

Some things are priced well, but the majority (camera bodies and lenses), that I have seen, are well over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

are conns notorious for over pricing?

In my experience they have been

ipod.gif

tororosso wrote: »
    Is that "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeck what a rip off?!" or "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeck thats decent?!" !!!!!!

Hmmmmm, it should probably have been Feic :pac:

But, rip off. Serious rip off. Mkii and grip is possible for less what folk are paying online, no VAT ripoffs, no scams, just haggling. Buyers market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Business must be bad in The Square - bought my first two dSLR's in the Camera Centre and the price was the price though eventaully they "threw in" a 256mb generic CF card that went wayward within weeks.

Had a problem with the kit 18-55mm lens and it took them 6 months from leaving it with them to get a new one, they lost mine somewhere and I;ve never been back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Calumet are selling the body for €2350. And it's in stock in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I find the Camera Centre in the square will do something on the price but if they don't have it in stock they never seem to come back, over 2 weeks ago I was in looking for a sigma 70-200 F2.8 and they told me they would get back to me in a hour but 2 weeks later and they haven't. Camera Exchange on Georges Street are also great for haggling with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Carrigman wrote: »
    Calumet are selling the body for €2350. And it's in stock in Belfast.
    What I paid for mine in Gunn's but this was before the Canon price rise of a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    I find the Camera Centre in the square will do something on the price but if they don't have it in stock they never seem to come back, over 2 weeks ago I was in looking for a sigma 70-200 F2.8 and they told me they would get back to me in a hour but 2 weeks later and they haven't. Camera Exchange on Georges Street are also great for haggling with.

+1 on camera exchange and haggling. Knocked twenty off a tripod the last time and that was on sale prices!

Bad show from conns. They are the most expensive in the town, but before i thought they gave good service, and a six month warrenty on used equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

For new stuff I find Conns won't entertain haggling but with the second hand stuff you can get a few bob off and the 6 month warranty is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I got my 50D + 17-85mm IS USM combo lens for €1,450. Upgraded the CF card to a 4GB Extreme IV, lens hood, lens protector & €50 voucher for prints. Total €1,500 at Camera World in Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork City. I went back to O'Learys later & got the Canon 430EX II Speedlite flash as well for €300.

The best Mc Sweeneys could do for me two doors up was €1,800 for the 50D body & above lens with a 2GB CF card... So I feel I got the flash for free by going to O'Learys..... I love free.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Speaking of prices, anyone gotten a good deal on a 450d recently? Please name shops! Also, does anyone know will a sigma 70-300mm and canon 55mm fit a 450d if they were orginally for an old 1000f? I love that sigma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hamiltonian, if you use the search function you'll find a really good thread on the 450d and deals people have been getting on it.

Advertisement