Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice in shared accommodation

Options
  • 12-05-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been renting a room in a shared house for about a year and a half. I'm hoping to move out in June- what amount of notice do I have to give the landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Hi All,

I've been renting a room in a shared house for about a year and a half. I'm hoping to move out in June- what amount of notice do I have to give the landlord?

If its under the residential tenancies act (2004) then its 42 days(1-2 years occupancy).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Thanks Chris, I should point out that I am just living there month to month and have never signed a lease or anything....is it still the same?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi All,

Is the entire house rented out- or is the landlord also living there. If its the latter- you are living there 'under licence' and do not have to give any specific notice- though its good manners to give 1 month's notice. There is a big difference though depending on whether the landlord lives there or not.....

smccarrick wrote: »
    Is the entire house rented out- or is the landlord also living there. If its the latter- you are living there 'under licence' and do not have to give any specific notice- though its good manners to give 1 month's notice. There is a big difference though depending on whether the landlord lives there or not.....

Ya it's the latter, I'm living with the landlord. Month should be ok so?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ya it's the latter, I'm living with the landlord. Month should be ok so?

Thanks.

Yup- it should be fine. I'd suggest giving notice sooner rather than later- it will help with calculating bill shares etc.

S.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Yup- it should be fine. I'd suggest giving notice sooner rather than later- it will help with calculating bill shares etc.

S.

Thanks S.

Advertisement