Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a Concert in Dublin : bus info needed

Options
  • 12-05-2009 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I am not going to mention a band here as I do not know who the promoter is but I need travel info if any one can help .

My daughter saw late last night that a band she wanted to see were playing in a venue on Middle Abbey Street, off O'Connell Street in Dublin . The tickets are on sale already so she was ringing around her friends to see if any of them would go with her , everyone asked her the same question , how do we get there , how do we get back ? .

Any other concerts she has been at my wife has either gone to as well or gone up with her , and they have stayed in my sisters or my sister in law's , or I have driven them up and driven back down that night , but she is old enough to go on her own and my wife isn't interested in seeing this band .

So can anyone help me out here with a few answers . Obviously you can get a bus to Dublin but where does is drop you off ?, can you get a Luas from there to near the venue ?, what time does the Luas stop running ? and where would they get a Luas to , to get the bus back to Limerick that night ? .

Thanks in advance for any help

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Kelly's of Pallasgreen runs buses to concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

phog wrote: »
    I think Kelly's of Pallasgreen runs buses to concerts.

Had a look at their site they are not doing a bus for the concert she is going to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

If there are enough going, you might be best to hire a private bus that will drop the girls to the venue and pick them up afterwards.

If they get a train or public bus up, they will be getting off at Hueston or Busarus. Then they can get the Luas to the venue. The nearest stop is on the same street, a minutes walk away. It runs up until 12:30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Jonski, if she gets the bus that goes from Arthurs Quay, Rapid or Kavanaghs , it brings her to Abbey St, which intersects to O'Connell St, from there its a 5 minute walk, even less to the venue. way cheaper than Bus Eireann too. Just get the bus from AQ all the way to Abbey St, and ure practically ON O'Connell St and she is home and hosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Kavanagh's bus returns to Limerick from Dublin, leaving George's Quay (beside Tara St Dart Station) at 10pm and 12.30am, so there's her journey home sorted.

Here's their website:

www.jjkavanagh.ie

On their homepage they were polling people to see if there'd be a demand to run buses directly to and from big concerts in Dublin, it might be worth voting for that too.

• Advertisement

How would the streets be at 12:30 walking from the venue to George's Quay on a Sunday night , if anyone knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

jonski wrote: »
    How would the streets be at 12:30 walking from the venue to George's Quay on a Sunday night , if anyone knows ?

Hi,

What age group is you're daughter? Will there be many other girls with her? what type of gig is it - dance, pop, trance etc. Why are they looking to walk to Georges Quay? The quays are generally not safe at night and there isn't much on Geroges Quay apart from the addicts on the benches outside the customs house.

Are they travelling from Limerick on Sunday & back on Monday - they may be able to get a cheap rail fare rather than the bus.

She is 16 going on 17 , there will be a few of them , I'm a dad , if I say they are type A then my kids will say "dad you're stupid they are obviously type B " , resason for walking down Goerges Street is to get the JJ Kavanagh bus at 12:30 . It was their plan to go up on Sunday and come home Sunday night after the concert .

TBH , if I have my way they will stay in my sisters , who lives in Dublin , but heh , what are the chances of me getting my way .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

for the record ud have been better off naming the band and not mentioning when or where. That place is an MCD venue, not allowed discuss it.

I did check the main thread discussing this and didn't see it mentioned , not being a concert go'er I didn't think that venues would be involved and it was the only way I could find out if there was a safe way for her get there and get back .

I'll report it to the mods myself incase they want to remove it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just star out the name of the venue and u should be fine. :) when is the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I removed the venue name... no big deal. Carry on. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    I removed the venue name... no big deal. Carry on. :)

And what a clever way you did it too :) , thanks for that and sorry for the inconvenience .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

jonski wrote: »

That walk is perfectly fine.

Even at that hour most people are still in the clubs so the streets are quiet enough. There are ALWAYS gardaí walking up and down o connell street and on o'connell bridge so your daughter and your friends should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

That walk is perfectly fine.

Even at that hour most people are still in the clubs so the streets are quiet enough. There are ALWAYS gardaí walking up and down o connell street and on o'connell bridge so your daughter and your friends should be fine.

I have to disagree. I wouldn't walk around Georges Quay during the day let alone at night. It is rampant with junkies and as for the Gardai - you would be lucky to see one.

If the girls are sensilbe, don;t drink too much, and have thir wits about them they may be OK but it is not something I would advise a group of girls to do at that hour on a Sunday night.

Advertisement