Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite Deck Boards B&Q

• 12-05-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,
    Finally getting around to looking into decking for our garden. As it rains alot up here in Galway we have decided to go with composite to minimise maintenance and increase longevity.

We just spotted composite deck boards in B&Q at a price we have not seen anywhere else (link on uk website)....so was wondering has anyone used these boards from B&Q and if so how are they finding them?

The cheapest I have found per board other than this is €44 approx! So quite a difference but then there is probably a quality of board issue to reckon with!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thats the UK site, are they available in Ireland? I haven't seen them in the B&Q store in Galway. Also the dimensions look wrong - 30mm wide doesn't sound right...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 IreJewels

Yep B&Q do them here as well, have the catelogue, looks like the measurements on the website are incorrect, they do have ones that measure 2400mm x 1135mm x 23mm at €18.00 a pop, seems rather cheap to me which is why I'm wondering if anyone has used them yet!. Quite short for a deck board I notice also.

IreJewels wrote: »
    Yep B&Q do them here as well, have the catelogue, looks like the measurements on the website are incorrect, they do have ones that measure 2400mm x 1135mm x 23mm at €18.00 a pop, seems rather cheap to me which is why I'm wondering if anyone has used them yet!. Quite short for a deck board I notice also.

Those dimensions also sound out - 1135mm is over a metre wide! 113mm migh be more like it. And 2.4m is a standard length, any decking boards I've seen are either 2.4m or 3.6m long. Will have to check them out myself, I'm planning a deck at the moment and not sure what timber/material to use...

Edit: Double post, ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blue sky

I came across this blog that shows the difference in composite decking boards. It should help you out. http://betterdeck.ie/wordpress/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Phoenix1

Try the Panelling Centre in Santry. They do a good composite deck at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 adds

Zzippy wrote: »
    Those dimensions also sound out - 1135mm is over a metre wide! 113mm migh be more like it. And 2.4m is a standard length, any decking boards I've seen are either 2.4m or 3.6m long. Will have to check them out myself, I'm planning a deck at the moment and not sure what timber/material to use...

I would love this decking, could I put it over my old decking ,or would I have to rip old deck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

You could always try conctete decking (this is mine). Can't remember how much it cost, not cheap, but easy to keep clean

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Concrete decking, now that is a bizarre concept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 adds

IreJewels wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Finally getting around to looking into decking for our garden. As it rains alot up here in Galway we have decided to go with composite to minimise maintenance and increase longevity.

We just spotted composite deck boards in B&Q at a price we have not seen anywhere else (link on uk website)....so was wondering has anyone used these boards from B&Q and if so how are they finding them?

The cheapest I have found per board other than this is €44 approx! So quite a difference but then there is probably a quality of board issue to reckon with!!

I clicked on your link, nothing came up, clicked again nothing, I am thinking of putting composite decking on top of my old decking ,can this be done , and would it last , please give advice, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phoenix11

You are best to lift the existing deck boards and hopefully your base structure is fine. You can then fix your new deck boards to the joists that are their already. Try wogans.com - they do the Whiteriver range of composite decking. Quite reasonable and good product too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eunan1985

you should check out deck25, theyre a company based in co tyrone and im really impressed by their website.
    im doing an area aprox 26ftx16ft aprox and looking into composite. big investment compared to timber but i feel it will be well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damoh

has anyone actually used composite decking... if so where did you buy, whats is like to maintain? heard some suffer from Mildew / mold?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

Had mine for about 9 months now from same place as the OP

got to say it has been really good so far...no problems with mould mildew etc, very easy to clean and look great whether wet or dry

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Phoenix1 wrote: »
    Try the Panelling Centre in Santry. They do a good composite deck at a reasonable price.

Would be wary of The Panelling Centre. Bought a kitchen off them last year and they were awful. So many components delivered late that our carpenter was on site for a week longer than planned. Tried to offload second hand cabinets on us as well. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenniferjasper

Here is a great article that is really helpful with choosing the best type of composite decking! http://bit.ly/bR5mUD

Advertisement