Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst EPL Team to Not Get Relegated

• 12-05-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

With the toon looking like they might have just scraped through by beating a terrible Middlesborough, I was wondering: was there ever a worse team who didn't get relegated? I'm guessing that most neutrals were with me hoping that Newcastle would get their marching orders, having played boring football undeserving of a PL place, not to mention the conveyor belt of managers and the bu11$h1t going on behind the scenes. I can't remember anyone less deserving of a PL spot but maybe someone else can...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rgiller wrote: »
    undeserving of a PL place

wtf does this even mean.

If they get enough points to stay in the PL then they deserve to be there.

Nothing else matters, nada.

It doesn't really make a difference how them points are won.

Stoke's long throw, is that good enough for you?

Teams parking the bus and getting vital points against top teams, how about that?

Fact is this, there are obviously other worse teams than the team that finishes 17th that do not deserve to be in the Premiership.

So no, I can safely say that a team who has deserved to go down has actually stayed up.

Never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bolton should have went down last year or this year. They have got to be the dullest club ever. One could argue Stokes hoof it approach doesn't deserve a place in the league either.

Then again maybe if you're good enough to stay up you deserve to be there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rgiller wrote: »
    With the toon looking like they might have just scraped through by beating a terrible Middlesborough, I was wondering: was there ever a worse team who didn't get relegated? I'm guessing that most neutrals were with me hoping that Newcastle would get their marching orders, having played boring football undeserving of a PL place, not to mention the conveyor belt of managers and the bu11$h1t going on behind the scenes. I can't remember anyone less deserving of a PL spot but maybe someone else can...
    I don't think that is fair to newcastle. they have played poor football, but i don't think it has been intentionally boring. Bolton, and more recently, Stoke are examples of sides who, imo, have deliberately played boring football. They have done so as it plays to the strengths of their side and works for them in keeping them in the premiership, so fair play to the, but i still find the football boring.

As for teams undeserving of a PL spot, i can't honestly think of one. The 3 worst teams have gone down consistently. Even the sides that scrape it on the last day, such as West Brom a few years back and Bradford years before have done so in an atmosphere of great excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Des wrote: »
    So no, I can safely say that a team who has deserved to go down has actually stayed up.

Never happened.

West Ham?

West Ham?

TOUCHE+TURTLE+2.jpg

OK, for purely football reasons.

But you cannot possibly say that if Tevez hadn't played that they definitely wouldn't have stayed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't Bolton are anywhere near the dullest side in the premier league. They play better football than they did under Sam.

Hull will hopefully go down. They had a mad run of 8 games at the start of the season, but have been a disgrace ever since. I'd have also loved Sunderland to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The year Bradford stayed up was fcuking brilliant, the whole ground was jumping (remember the camera shaking all the time?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The League is played over 38 games and any team that has the required pts to be safe deserves it. Really any team in the bottom 10 this year wouldnt be missed. Answering your question, probably the worst team over the past few years have been Bolton. For years they have hovered around the relegation-zone relying on long-balls and just out-muscling their opponents. They would probably be the worst team to watch over the past few years so they get my vote. That said, Megson has done a fantastic job there with no resources.

Looking at next year already, I will defo be having a few quid on Stoke to be relegated, all that second season syndrome and the fact they are very average though I do think Lawrence is a good player but I am hoping for around the evens mark.

Edit: this year I hope Hull go down - what Brown did to his players at City was shocking and he is paying for that since. I would love to see West Brom stay up as they are trying to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

wtf does this even mean.

If they get enough points to stay in the PL then they deserve to be there.

Nothing else matters, nada.

It doesn't really make a difference how them points are won.

Stoke's long throw, is that good enough for you?

Teams parking the bus and getting vital points against top teams, how about that?

Fact is this, there are obviously other worse teams than the team that finishes 17th that do not deserve to be in the Premiership.

Never happened.

Alright, steady on! I'm trying to get a bit of discussion going about the standard and approach of teams in the relegation zone, not suggest a new X-factor style popularity vote system for who gets the chop at the end of the season. As another poster said, I'd prefer to see West Brom stay up rather than Newcastle, based on footballing merit. Can't remember another team that I've wanted to go down at the expense of another (well maybe Birmingham, as a Villa fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Warper wrote: »
    Edit: this year I hope Hull go down - what Brown did to his players at City was shocking and he is paying for that since. I would love to see West Brom stay up as they are trying to play football.

He was spot on. Those players were a disgrace that they and it was good enough for them to be made an example of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He was spot on. Those players were a disgrace that they and it was good enough for them to be made an example of.

Bull TBH. It is not a managers role to try and publicly humiliate his charges. His role is to motivate them in situations like that, the fact that this "stunt" has spectacularly backfired is testament to just how wrong he got it. It was woefully thought out, and he got it so wrong on so many levels, that his actions, while applauded at the time by the "short sighted"/"give it to them hard" brigade will be pointed at for years as how not to manage a team. No other manager would do that, not 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hobart wrote: »
    Bull TBH. It is not a managers role to try and publicly humiliate his charges. His role is to motivate them in situations like that, the fact that this "stunt" has spectacularly backfired is testament to just how wrong he got it. It was woefully thought out, and he got it so wrong on so many levels, that his actions, while applauded at the time by the "short sighted"/"give it to them hard" brigade will be pointed at for years as how not to manage a team. No other manager would do that, not 1.

And I would say that is exactly what Brown was attempting to do.

It didn't go according to plan but it was an attempt at something different by a good young manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Arsenal

Xavi6 wrote: »

He publicly humiliated them in front of their own fans, City fans and the whole world. It was a disgraceful act after all his players had given to the team in the opening part of the season and it backfired big-time. They have been in freefall ever sense due to Brown. They lost all respect for him that day. Even last week Brown had organised a trip to the Chester racecourse for the team and not one single player accepted.

What he should have done was berate them in private like any good manager would have done, not in front of everyone. Considering how well they were doing - he f**ked it up that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

He publicly humiliated them in front of their own fans, City fans and the whole world. It was a disgraceful act after all his players had given to the team in the opening part of the season and it backfired big-time. They have been in freefall ever sense due to Brown. They lost all respect for him that day. Even last week Brown had organised a trip to the Chester racecourse for the team and not one single player accepted.

What he should have done was berate them in private like any good manager would have done, not in front of everyone. Considering how well they were doing - he f**ked it up that day.
    Spot on, he ended up emabarressing himself more then his players by draging the players into the middle of the pitch. I think the "next great young english manager" thing went to his head.

Edit to say i think Hull would be the worst team to ever survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

West Brom the year they stayed up like 3 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

surely it has to be Southampton for avoiding relegation due to a last minute fat Matt goal, two minutes from time, four seasons on the trot?

Hull btw didn't exactly have a blinding start to the season, but everyone else started off badly so their (And ours at the time) league position flattered a bit.

surely it has to be Southampton for avoiding relegation due to a last minute fat Matt goal, two minutes from time, four seasons on the trot?

Hull btw didn't exactly have a blinding start to the season, but everyone else started off badly so their (And ours at the time) league position flattered a bit.[/QUOTE]

After around 10 games, Hull were in a Champions Leagues spot?? They had a fantastic start with no talk about relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hull btw didn't exactly have a blinding start to the season, but everyone else started off badly so their (And ours at the time) league position flattered a bit.

After around 10 games, Hull were in a Champions Leagues spot?? They had a fantastic start with no talk about relegation.

And were about 8th or something at xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stoke play horrible football, they got lucky this year and they will go down if they play the same way next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Still crossing my fingers that SundIreerland get flushed out. That would be so sweet. :D

As for merit, I absolutely agree that if the team has the points then it deserves to stay up. It's nonsense to say that anyone with fewer points has played 'better football'.

SectionF wrote: »
    Still crossing my fingers that SundIreerland get flushed out. That would be so sweet. :D

Fear not, next season they will, to be replaced by "Roy Keane's" Ipswich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dave! wrote: »
    Arsenal

Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Fear not, next season they will, to be replaced by "Roy Keane's" Ipswich.
    Only if Keane can keep his head from exploding over everyone in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Fulham could have gone down a few times - I remember Liverpool fielding a weak side to help them one year.

Boro have been shocking this year and it would be a disgrace if they stayed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The year Bradford stayed up was fcuking brilliant, the whole ground was jumping (remember the camera shaking all the time?)

If they stay up I'll shave my hair!

Fulham were awful last year and lucky not to do down, stayed up on goal difference!

On this Phil Brown thing, he was bloody right to do it. They were awful. So he gave them a whipping in front of their own fans. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

IvySlayer wrote: »
    On this Phil Brown thing, he was bloody right to do it. They were awful. So he gave them a whipping in front of their own fans. Brilliant.

Hulls League form since that match: Played 17 Won 1 Drew 4 lost 12
    His brilliant idea obviously didnt get the reaction he was looking for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I

Huh? He seemed to take all the credit for when the players done well, but the first time it went sour he hung his players out to dry. And he has been paying for it ever since. Not even Brown himself would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Soby wrote: »
    And were about 8th or something at xmas

Their league position at the end of 2008 was a very commendable 8th but their stats were Played 20, won 7, drew 6 lost 7 with a -9GD. decent enough, but most seasons they would have 12th or 14th.

They had already taken a 5-0 beating by Wigan and a 4-1 beating by Sunderland, both at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement