Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Megson off his box?

• 12-05-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/05/12/manual_075305.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    wrote:
    Bolton manager Gary Megson says it would take a bid in excess of £15million to prize centre-back Gary Cahill away from the club.

Cahill signed from Sheffield United in January 2008 and has impressed since his £5million switch, putting in a string of commanding performances.

So impressive has Cahill's form been, reports have suggested the 23-year-old could be a summer target for Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

Megson, though, has every intention of retaining Cahill's services and revealed the club are keen to extend his stay at the Reebok Stadium.

He said in the Daily Mirror: "Gary is under contract and we are currently in the process of negotiating a new, improved deal for him.

"He's the best young centre-half in the country by an absolute street and I've been delighted with him again this year.

"I want to build the team around him for the next few seasons.

"I can understand why the big clubs are interested in Gary, but it's going to take an offer over and above what we received for Nicolas Anelka from Chelsea."

£15m? Are you having a laugh? Sounds like he's talking this lad up to get rid of him in the summer if someone was mad enough to pay £10m plus :eek:

BTW, he was signed from Villa and not Sheff Utd wasnt he :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he was indeed signed from villa, and hes a fantastic player

better than most we've got at the villa right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Helix wrote: »
    he was indeed signed from villa, and hes a fantastic player

better than most we've got at the villa right now

Not a £15m player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

is curtis davies a £10m one tho?

if he is, cahills probably about right for that

we have a sell on clause so thats driving up the price, we get 25% of his next sale i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sizzler wrote: »
    Not a £15m player though.

Maybe Megson values him at 15m. He probably doesn't want to sell though so that put's up a player's valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly, hardly a new tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Flithy challenge on Tainio at the weekend iirc

Overvalued by ~8milllion as is the norm for any 1 season wonder or half decent English player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Don't forget the 'he's english so double the price' rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's what everyone does, over value a player so nobody will try buy him. He isn't namign a price, he is scaring the bidders away.

Cahill is quality though.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Maybe Megson values him at 15m. He probably doesn't want to sell though so that put's up a player's valuation.
    Who asked him though :confused: Bit of propaganda never went amiss I suppose.
    Helix wrote: »
    is curtis davies a £10m one tho?

if he is, cahills probably about right for that

we have a sell on clause so thats driving up the price, we get 25% of his next sale i believe
    Curtis Davies £10m :eek: Forgot about that!

Highly unlikely Cahill will be sold for that sum of money I would think. He's good for the odd goal and is probably one of their better performers but he's been about as consistent as ...wait for it...Andy O'Brien. Fact ! How much is O'Brien worth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sizzler wrote: »
    Who asked him though :confused: Bit of propaganda never went amiss I suppose.

I'm guessing a reporter who told him Arsenal were keen..

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'm guessing a reporter who told him Arsenal were keen..
    Give Megson a call and tell him you are from Inter and see how much he quotes for Kevin Davies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think you will see a lot of prices for English players going up with UEFA's rules of having so many players from your national assiation in Champions League squards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mark Hughes will pay it for him to replace Dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mark Hughes will pay it for him to replace Dunne.

Mark Hughes will be gone before Richard Dunne :p. Cahill is a good young centre half, he is on my fantasy footie team. Always gets a few goals every season!

Advertisement