Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bald patch in grass

Options
  • 12-05-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hey, My Dad has a bald patch in his front garden (that's not a euphemism!). He said that awhile ago he spilled some kind of weedkiller on the grass and it hasn't grown back there since. He has put some more grass seed onto the patch to see would it grow back but nothing yet, he said the seed he put down is fairly old but don't know if that matters or not.......Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Hey, My Dad has a bald patch in his front garden (that's not a euphemism!). He said that awhile ago he spilled some kind of weedkiller on the grass and it hasn't grown back there since. He has put some more grass seed onto the patch to see would it grow back but nothing yet, he said the seed he put down is fairly old but don't know if that matters or not.......Any ideas anyone?

I had a similar problem (wasnt weedkiller though), i just loosened up the soil raked it scattered the seed (loads of it) and raked it in again. Came up fine. Cant remember how long it took though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sometimes when soil is contaminated or scorched with weedkiller it is perhaps better to simply dig out soil to a depth of 6"/150mm and replace with fresh soil before re-seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

yeah we thought that so thats probably what he will do. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have similar problem but it's down to the children playing football and destroying the grass.

Any recommendations on what type of lawn seeds that will tolerate football mad children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Tarmac!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

deisemum wrote: »
    Have similar problem but it's down to the children playing football and destroying the grass.

Any recommendations on what type of lawn seeds that will tolerate football mad children?

Nr 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Tarmac!

We dug up the front lawn and had tarmac laid so want to hang on to some lawn

Advertisement