Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ladies - where do you shop for your man

Options
  • 12-05-2009 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

hi ladies just wondering where would you go and get ur man a nice shirt, jumper etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am not a lady but for smart reasonable and good quality try Next! if this is just a survey I like any of the mid market shops like Next Jack and jones Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I think he likes to go to TK Maxx, cause he doesn't mind rooting around all the dross to get to the good stuff. It's good value for money too. I don't buy anything for him myself cause I haven't a notion about sizes.

For tshirts he likes threadless.com, they're especially good value when they have a sale on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Am I the only guy who actually hates it when a girl buys me clothes??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Am I the only guy who actually hates it when a girl buys me clothes??

No you're not. I haven't been dressed by a woman since I was about ten.
    I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself and the OH would just get the wrong thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I've been seeing my OH for the about 3mnths now & would love to shake up his wardrobe.
    I was going to get him a new shirt on Sat but was afraid of offending him so left it behind me.
    However when I mentioned it to him when I got home it didn't seem to faze him too much, so a new shirt a la River Island on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sure the designation of man is entirely accurate for a male who doesn't mind having his clothes selected for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My boyfriend buys his own clothes. Something to do about having a mind of his own. I know, he's odd.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

No way would I buy clothes for my fella. He knows where the shops are, he can get 'em and pay for 'em by himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Rozabeez wrote: »
    My boyfriend buys his own clothes. Something to do about having a mind of his own. I know, he's odd.

I think my bf would dump me if I tried to dress him :pac: I might buy him a funny t-shirt or something as a present, but I wouldn't dare try to change his "look" or whatever. He'd kill me!

As to the OP's question... I don't buy clothes for me fella, but when I was with my ex I went to Burton and Next mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and buy clothes for my guy. Think I bought him a jumper or shirt one christmas, but I knew what style he wanted.

He buys his own, but often wants my opinion on stuff, which is different.

Same for me. I'll buy my own clothes, but if we happen to be together he will give his opinion on what I'm looking at, or even pick out something he likes for me to try on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

For presents only (he is a grown man and can dress himself)
    Bertoni (sp)
    Ralph Lauren

But I would point out if i didnt like what he is wearing
    and he would do same for me (but that doesnt happen often)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I never buy him anything, he loses anything nice anyway. Seriously how does a man of 28 manage to come home without his shoes? Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Weird...I know my OHs style inside out and neither of us would consider it wrong/emasculating for me to buy him stuff.

I'm really good at honing into a persons style (esp blokes) and loved helping guys choose clothes that worked for their style when I worked in retail.

For my OH it is mostly Pepe, All Saints, River Island and online (eg threadless.com). Topman and Urban Outfitters have both gone mega downhill IMO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I've only bought clothes for a man when he's begged me for help. Unless he asks, don't risk offending him or getting the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Tommy Hilfigger and French Connection for good stuff, Next for others. He's 6' 4" so I'm limited and TH and FC fit him properly across the shoulders and don't just hang off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I buy the odd thing for my bloke - he's not very trendy so Next is out for him. He likes classic looks - so M&S or Best suits him.

I got him a lovely rugby shirt for his birthday from Best - he loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i only buy him clothes for his birthday/xmas, then i get them in topman or online(he likes cool tshirts!)
    we did get him stuff in Dunnes recently, he was thrilled with how many jeans and hoodies he could get for so little money!!poor petal!
    i did make him get a smart shirt and slacks from Topman for my 21st...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Zara, H&M and Jack and Jones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lux23 wrote: »
    I never buy him anything, he loses anything nice anyway. Seriously how does a man of 28 manage to come home without his shoes? Mental.

Is he an Iraqi reporter by any chance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I shop for my brothers sometimes! TK Maxx, Jack Jones, Levi's jeans, Massimo Dutti (nice shirts) and H&M/Next casual shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I go shopping with him (it's a joint relaxation thing) but I've never bought him stuff.

That said, knowing what he wants/is shopping for atm, if I saw it, I'd buy it as a gift/surprise and hope he liked it.*

I do love how he enjoys shopping for himself and loves the whole experience, can't ever imagine having to clothe him so to speak :) He does ask my opinion and if I really dislike something he takes that on board, but overall he tends to dress really well imo.

* I did spend several hours hunting down a particular pair of boots he wanted online, with suppliers, shops etc for his birthday to no avail, but that was a gift, and gifts should be special, and personal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I usually hate shopping so I usually try to get the bloke to do the shopping for me not the other way around:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

TBH I can't see him shopping for me, I wouldn't expect it at all, so I wouldn't shop for him, if he wanted something specific for a present I'd get him to pick something he wanted and liked and I'd pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

my fella is also 6'4 but i never see it as a problem in buying him stuff. unfortunetly for me he has very expensive taste as in BT. he wouldn't really be caught dead in anything from dunnes or pennies. but i have bought him one or two things and he liked them. he does like topshop, jack and jones and river island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Next, M&S, Tommy Hilfiger. I've got him stuff in America from Abercrombie, Hollister, Guess and RL too. I only buy as presents, if he needs something we generally go together. Personally I think I have a good eye for things he likes as he wears them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I tried to buy a man on e-bay but when I opened the packaging he was at least a foot shorter than expected and had a bald patch where his personality was supposed to be, so I complained via Paypal and got a refund.

Lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I tried to buy a man on e-bay but when I opened the packaging he was at least a foot shorter than expected and had a bald patch where his personality was supposed to be, so I complained via Paypal and got a refund.

Lesson learned!

You could have sent him off to be extended and re-upholstered. They can do such wonderful things these days. And locked him in a library for a year to solve the personality problem.

As regards women buying males clothing, it can work out for the best. For the whole time I knew him, Dad never ever shopped. Mom did it for him. And I understand why after seeing photos of him in the early seventies wearing, what can only be described, as a brown suit with a thick purple pinstripe, and a wide necked orange brown shirt. He wasn't part of the counter-culture movement or anything...he was a mechanic from rural Ireland! (though admitedly working in London at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I bought clothes for my boyfriend twice, once a nice shirt in colours I knew he'd like and in a pretty simnple style. He told me he liked it and has worn it a few times. I also got him a t-shirt of a band he really likes and mentioned wanting their t-shirt before. I wouldn't make a habit of it though, it'd probably get really annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm intelligent enough to shop for myself.

Suggestions:

Zara for Man - jumpers, tshirts, jackets
    Benetton - shirts
    Marks and Spencers - Pure wool travel suits and non-iron shirts
    Fluchos (Spanish)- comfy shoes
    Bata - shoes
    Hilfinger - Jackets
    Camel - casual wear
    H&M- occasionally some linen stuff

etc......

I'm not big into clothes shopping- my wife drags me shopping more often than not. I'd almost rather buy kitchen wear, bed linen, towels or almost anything possible for the house- than I would clothes, but I have a surprisingly elaborate wardrobe, which includes tailored suits, and just about every eventuality catered for.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

If i didnt shop for himself he would happily plod along looking like he belonged in the 80's ....

I dont have a specific shop i go to though

Advertisement