Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatloaf fell apart

• 12-05-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I made meatloaf for the second time ever at the weekend. The first time it came together great, but this time, as soon as I started cutting into it, it just fell apart. It seemed to be cooked ok, and was tasty as ever, but I'm wondering why it would fall apart this time as the first time I did I was able to get full slices out of it. It's gotta be one of the following, but I wonder if someone can lead me to the right conclusion

1. Not enough "binding agent" in it. I used several teaspoons of mustard and the recipe calls for 1 large egg, but I used one medium. There was also 12 crackers in there, all crumbled up. The meat was 500g minced beef if that helps.
    2. Not enough kneading. I mixed the whole lot up in a bowl (meat, spices, cracker crumbs, egg, mustard, etc), but didn't really do much beyond going from the bowl directly to the cooking tray.
    3. Not enough cooking/too much cooking. My gut feeling is that I didn't cook it long enough, but I wonder if it was actually in the oven so long that it started to dry out?

Or could it be something else entirely? I'd share the recipe, but it's not available online. It's the Jamie's Ministry of Food one if that's any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

corblimey wrote: »
    I made meatloaf for the second time ever at the weekend. The first time it came together great, but this time, as soon as I started cutting into it, it just fell apart.

I'd try it a third time with the exact same method and see if it turns out ok after all, ♫ 2 outa 3 ain't bad ♫

So so very sorry. /bans self

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One egg doesn't sound like much in the line of wet ingredients considering the amount of crackers. My recipe uses an egg, one teaspoon of mustard, a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons of ketchup. And that's with breadcrumbs, which aren't as dry as crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I'd use two eggs; after forming it, fry the outside in a pan with olive oil for 5-6 minutes and then add the saurce; it should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So so very sorry. /bans self

I actually should infract you for that.

Shocking.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just had a thought.

Substitute half the mince for sausage meat.

Combine them before adding the rest of the ingredients, the sausage meat is a bit more moist than just mince.

Your tastebuds will also thank you for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

did you cut it when it came straight out of the oven? if yes you need to let it rest and use a sharp carving knive to cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And you don't need more than one egg, and you never knead meatloaf mixture, ever, you'd wind up with solid meat paste rather than the loaf version of good hamburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I let it rest completely after coming out of the oven as I wasn't eating any there and then. It was barely luke warm by the time I got around to cutting it. I've just remembered though that I didn't cover it with foil and a tea towel like I normally do when I'm letting things rest - would that have made any difference?
    I'd use two eggs; after forming it, fry the outside in a pan with olive oil for 5-6 minutes and then add the saurce; it should work.
    One egg doesn't sound like much in the line of wet ingredients considering the amount of crackers.
    Sparks wrote: »
    And you don't need more than one egg, and you never knead meatloaf mixture, ever, you'd wind up with solid meat paste rather than the loaf version of good hamburger.
    So that's one for 1 egg, and two for more than 1 egg. What exactly would happen if I used too much egg? Would I just get the vague sense of egg in every mouthful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

really gona throw a spanner into the works I would use 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk:p

oh and yes for the towel this will keep some moisture in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I would do anything for loaf, but I won't do that.

I've seen recipes with 2 eggs, I don't think it will effect taste....
    Crackers seem very dry to me. Have you tried breadcrumbs?

Try breaking up the bread and soak it in milk and eggs before mixing with your meat...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't use 2 eggs, it might be weird-tasting. Maybe try again with a large egg since it worked well for you the first time. I saw the recipe online HERE
    I have to say, 30 minutes sounds like a very short time to cook a meatloaf so you'd hardly have overcooked it enough to dry it out.
    Did you make it very flat by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I daresay you're right, dizzyblonde, I should've picked up large eggs rather than mediums. When done it was about the height of a loaf of soda bread, so not too flat, I think. I'll try it again in a few months with eggs-actly the right size.

...I'll get me coat

Advertisement