Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 400D vs Canon 500D

• 12-05-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

General question: would there be much difference between the performance of these two cameras?? To elaborate how much importance would anybody reckon between 10.1 MP and 15.1?? I know that the 500D will be better but just looking for some feedback from anybody who might have used the two bodies!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Haven't played with the 500D but the 1080P video recording is a major step up on the 400d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

The difference of 10mp to 15mp it's not a good reason to choose the camera or change it.

15mp is starting to be too much so the small CCD's that this cameras have.

But i'm sure the 500D will bring a lot of new things, maybe you should compare more with the 450D. In case if you have the 400D and thinking to change to the 500D I don't think its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Haven't played with the 500D but the 1080P video recording is a major step up on the 400d

In fairness I am not really interested in the video recorder and cant really understand why they have incorporated it into the camera in the first place! Wont it mean that even DSLRs with small lenses will be completely prohibited in most concerts and such events!?

Duchovny wrote: »
    The difference of 10mp to 15mp it's not a good reason to choose the camera or change it.

15mp is starting to be too much so the small CCD's that this cameras have.

But i'm sure the 500D will bring a lot of new things, maybe you should compare more with the 450D. In case if you have the 400D and thinking to change to the 500D I don't think its worth it.

Yeah I have heard that mentioned before but would the extra 15 MP be really handy for cropping distant details in say a sports shot??

Do you mean you dont think it is worth going from the 400 to the 500D based on the price difference and that the 450D would make more economic sense??

What do you mean by the small CCD's?!

For crop maybe but than again if you have worst quality i don't know if its worth it.

Regarding changing the 400D to the 500D i wouldn't do it i would rather get a xxD 30D 40D or 50D than 500D.

Because the sensor is smaller than the full frame cameras the pixels are starting to be too many for the amount of space that they have producing worst quality most noticeable in high ISO.

• Advertisement

Cool Duchovny thanks for the advice :) will look into the 50D so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shleed

Duchovny wrote: »
    For crop maybe but than again if you have worst quality i don't know if its worth it.

Regarding changing the 400D to the 500D i wouldn't do it i would rather get a xxD 30D 40D or 50D than 500D.

Because the sensor is smaller than the full frame cameras the pixels are starting to be too many for the amount of space that they have producing worst quality most noticeable in high ISO.

Even though it has the exact same sensor size as the other cameras. The 50D has the same megapixels too.

shleed wrote: »
    Even though it has the exact same sensor size as the other cameras. The 50D has the same megapixels too.

Yes i know that's why the 50D as worst image quality per pixel then the 40D and also worst quality in higher ISO.

And still better then any xxxD

Advertisement