Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex tenant looking for my PPS number and questions about renting a property

Options
  • 12-05-2009 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there,

My brother and I have a second property which we inherited when our parents died. We've been trying to sell it (or rent it out) for the past two and half years unsuccessfully.

Last year we managed to get tenants - in order to get the house ready we had to replace the boiler, do some rewiring and other work to the house - we spent about €3.5K (which we didn't have). We had this work done before they moved in

Anyway, the tenants ended up staying six months at rent of €500 per month.

I have received a text from the tenant looking for my PPS number so they can claim rent relief for 2008.

Firstly, I don't feel comfortable giving out my PPS number to anyone because of identity theft - although I know the form requires it.

Secondly, my brother lives abroad and has never had a PPS number here (he left straight from school in the late 80s) and he has never paid tax here.

Thirdly, I presume that by giving my PPS number it will trigger a demand for tax on the rental income - which I'm happy to declare my share but not his, iykwim - I believe that we can only claim the expenses we incurred against our tax if these are incurred while the tenants are in.

So, all in all it will lookl ike getting these people in for six months will have costed us about 5K all in :(

Anyone suggest a way of letting the tenants get their rent relief without giving away my PPS number and of getting round the fact my brother doesnt' have one?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They can apply for rent relief without your PPS number, the revenue will then look up your details, see you haven't declared the income, and come after you, and will charge you for that fact.

Get your taxes in order now, and give them your PPS number.

Your brother is liable to pay tax on the income at the Irish rate, and possibly also at the rate of his own country, depending on what double taxation agreement is in place with his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They don't need your PPS number.

Either way though, the revenue will come after you for not declaring your rented property. You should also have been registered with the PRTB, so if you didn't you may get a fine for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

OP, if you have you taxes in order, you should give them your PPS no with no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

they dont need your PPS number to apply for rent relief just the address of the accomadation.

If you have reciepts you can write the repairs to the boiler etc off against tax. thats if your above board and are registered etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sort this asap as the tax man will be ok as so far you have made a €500 loss after the expense of making the place rentable but the prtb could be an issue (probably won't if you go to them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

thanks.

I didn't even know about the ptrb :rolleyes: bloody hell. I tried phoning them but they have a 13 week backlog. this is mad, because we are highly unlikely to ever be able to rent this property out again, let alone sell it, it is in a prt of the country neither my brother or I are ever going to live in and it is costing us money year in and year out - anyone any suggestions?

My question was is there a way of doing this without making my pps number public - my tax affairs are in order - I just don't want to give my pps number away as I don't trust these people (for a variety of reasons to do with how they conducted themselves while tenants). I also don't want to get stung for my brother's share of the tax either.........

Thanks for all the other advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They don't need your PPS at all. They can still submit their forms, etc, for their rent relief, without your PPS. Tell them to do that.

You can worry about your tax/PRTB affairs separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

You actually do't have to give them your pps number at all.

The address of the property will suffice.

Your PPS number is akin to a national ID number and you have the right to protect it. I contacted the Revenue in relation to a similar issue and they advised me NOT to release my PPS number as it was my confidential info and an address would suffice.

Afterall; if the Revenue want you; they WILL find you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnnyfred

You don't need to give them your PPS no. I have claimed rent relief without giving the landlords pps no. There is a space on the form looking for it but just tell your ex-tenents that they do not need it. The landlords name and address will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I could be wrong here, but I think the tenants are legally obliged to withhold a portion of the rent owed to your brother as he is a non resident landlord..
    That is, the tenant can be chased by revenue for your brothers tax obligations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I could be wrong here, but I think the tenants are legally obliged to withhold a portion of the rent owed to your brother as he is a non resident landlord..
    That is, the tenant can be chased by revenue for your brothers tax obligations...

i believe your correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Contact an accountant/tax adviser. If the rent recieved was 3000 divided equally between you that's 1500 each. If your brother has to pay tax here in Ireland and that is his only Irish income then it's possible his tax allowances could exceed his incomings.
    Either way declare it to the revenue immediately - that way it looks a lot better when the revenue find out you've undeclared income.

If you've paid 3500 and recieved 3000 in total your at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about looking for a lower rent, just to get someone in?
    If you've paid 3500 and recieved 3000 in total your at a loss.
    And that would mean no tax due.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The tax advice above is probably incorrect. You cannot claim a replacement boiler as an expense for instance. It is a capital item, not an expense.

From the information you have provided, you will probably end up with a small tax bill (although it may not seem small to you).

If the rent was paid to you, you are responsible for witholding tax on it before forwarding it to your brother.

I recommend you get proper professional tax advice.

I would suggest that you either get the property rented, at some price, or sell it. The reality is that owning property often costs money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

Thanks.

Will sort out the tax - I thought I had until October to make the return for 2008, anyway will get on the case.

I would presume an accountant will charge us too - we simply don't have the money for that (plus pay the tax).

Antoinolachtai - we have dropped the asking price by almost half since it originally went on the market and also have dropped the rental asking price to no avail. The house is in a small rural town (pop approx 2000) where the planners and developers went mad and in 2007 there were 300 new houses built, there are currently 150 houses for sale in the town and the majority are less than five years old.

I am not sure what else to try in terms of selling this house - we would love to sell it - it is two hours drive from where I live, I have two small children, it is a nightmare to be honest and a constant worry. The neighbours have been great keeping an eye on it but that has been the case now for several years - we obviously insure the house, pay the electricity and also heat in during the winter months - it costs us about 1300 just to keep, without anything going wrong and that's before the 2nd property tax which is coming in........

This may not be the forum for this question - but given this is in a country town and near some nice scenery, fishing, etc, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to rent it out for cheap weekends away? At least then we'd cover our costs. Is there any market for that?

Advertisement