Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan v Manchester United

• 12-05-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

wiganhome.pngwig.pngf2m5a162ebpg8.png680.pngmanutdhomes.png

win this and all we need is a draw in the next 2 games just to seal the title

vds
    raf
    oshea----vidic
    evra
    Ronaldo---carrick---ando----park
    berba----Rooney

evans and Rio will be given late fitness tests before the Wigan game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tonight or tomorrow?

Prediction : Nailed on Brucey Bonus for Ferguson.

3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Des wrote: »
    Tonight or tomorrow?

Tomorrow.

Desperate for a win tomorrow. I would love to seal the title before Liverpool play next, better chance of a win against Wigan than Arsenal, even given how Arsenal are playing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tonight or tomorrow?

Prediction : Nailed on Brucey Bonus for Ferguson.

3-0

my mistake its on sky sports 1 tomorrow

even given how Arsenal are playing at the moment.

They'll have the Arse Shaver back though.

They'll have the Arse Shaver back though.

True - which is why I want a win tomorrow, a draw at least should be manageable at home to Arsenal. However, I don't think Arshavin would solve all their problems, which have mainly stemmed from an uncombative midfield and a shaky defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

VDS
    Raf
    O'Shea----Vidic
    Evra

----Carrick
    Anderson----

---Park
    Tevez
    Rooney

Ronaldo

Put them to the sword!

If Evans is fit then Raf out and O'Shea in to RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brucie Bonus for Fergie methinks.

2 or 3 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Come on Brucey, one time two times for your old gaffer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It'd be surprising to see anything other than 3 points for Utd, Wigan are just playing their season out at this stage and not on the best of form lately either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yet another team to lay down for United.

0-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im going for another 0-2 utd win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Holsten wrote: »

0-5.

Alot of people using this as an excuse lately for Uniteds success.

Are people inferring that teams let United win?

Do people honestly believe this and if so please explain why?

If your just been bitter and jealous there is no need to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

0-5.

How about all the teams that put in the extra effort just because it's Man Utd and they treat it like a cup game and go crazy if they get a result?

If United win the PL this year it will be fully deserved, same as Pool would deserve it if we let it slip (or they hadn't let it slip :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

0-5.

Yet another team United are better than.

0-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Headshot wrote: »
    im going for another 0-2 utd win

likely - can't see them pushing on for more if they got 2 ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Do people honestly believe Bruce tells his players to take it easy because it's against United?? Would he not consider the damaging implications this would have for his career if it ever was leaked?

Bruce will not tell his players not to try, and his players would have no reason to give anything less than 100%, especially as a number of them may be looking for a move in the summer and a match against Manchester United attracts more attenton than any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully Wigan stay on holiday for this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

So what's the team news so far for this game?

I'll go for a 2-0 win for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As mentioned in the United thread I'd like to see United lift the title before Hull so we can roll over for them, maybe as part of a deal for Cambell :D

With Arsenal at the weekend though I think Fletcher will get rested along with Rio unless he passes a fitness test and Evan's doesn't. Even then I'd move O'shea in with Rafa in full-back.

VDS
    O'Shea
    Evans
    Vidic----Evra
    Scholes
    Carrick
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney
    Berbs

The alternative is a 4-3-3 with Ando in for Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Boggles wrote: »
    Alot of people using this as an excuse lately for Uniteds success.

Are people inferring that teams let United win?

Do people honestly believe this and if so please explain why?

If your just been bitter and jealous there is no need to reply.

People will use anything to justify a rival they can't give credit to being the best.

Hence all this refs being man utd fans, premiership teams being man utd fans, the football being a man utd fan, and the goal post which John Terry hit being a Man Utd fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

carlop wrote: »
    Do people honestly believe Bruce tells his players to take it easy because it's against United?? Would he not consider the damaging implications this would have for his career if it ever was leaked?

Bruce will not tell his players not to try, and his players would have no reason to give anything less than 100%, especially as a number of them may be looking for a move in the summer and a match against Manchester United attracts more attenton than any other.

I don't think the claims are that Bruce will tell his players not to try, more that he will not attempt to motivate them as much as he would in a different situation because he doesn't really care whether or not Wigan win and he would rather see Utd win the league than Liverpool. Personally, I think its a load of bs, but nothing beats a good conspiracy theory.

To be honest, even if Rafa took charge of Wigan for the game, I wouldn't give them a hope in hell.

MR NINE wrote: »
    I don't think the claims are that Bruce will tell his players not to try, more that he will not attempt to motivate them as much as he would in a different situation because he doesn't really care whether or not Wigan win and he would rather see Utd win the league than Liverpool. Personally, I think its a load of bs, but nothing beats a good conspiracy theory.

To be honest, even if Rafa took charge of Wigan for the game, I wouldn't give them a hope in hell.

Anyone who thinks that is a blatant idiot, and shouldn't be given the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't think it will be easy as Wigan got humiliated at the weekend and playing United is a good chance to restore some pride. I expect a decent performance from them but I fancy United to have enough.

Don't think it will be easy as Wigan got humiliated at the weekend and playing United is a good chance to restore some pride. I expect a decent performance from them but I fancy United to have enough.

not just last weekend, they have had a few bad performances so they are long past the 'bounce back' stage - they are just in a period of poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

2-1 United. Wasn't Chris Kirkland injured last match or something? He's a pretty decent keeper, on his day can stop anything.

Just checked BBC website, they say he's a doubt. Big loss for Wigan imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Time for another of our undercover men to do their job.

-Agent Wilkins
    -Agent Silvestre
    -Agent Hughes
    -Agent Bruce
    -Agent Pique

I heard Rio and Evans are doubts. So worst case scenario we may see:

VDS
    ---Raf----Vida
    Josh
    Evra--
    Fletcher--Ando--Scholes----
    ---Nani
    Rooney--
    Superbatov

1-2 United. It won't be easy, I think we'll scrape it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Like everyone else i reckon 2-0, possibility of 3-0 depending on what attackers we have left on til the end and how good wigan play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ShooterSF wrote: »
    As mentioned in the United thread I'd like to see United lift the title before Hull so we can roll over for them, maybe as part of a deal for Cambell :D.

id like to have it rapped up before hull because that game is way too close to the CL final for my likin. dont want to have to rely on gettin a result from that game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Should be a straight-forward win for UTD, Wigan sold their best players in January and didn't replace them, no coincidence that they've been terrible since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

not just last weekend, they have had a few bad performances so they are long past the 'bounce back' stage - they are just in a period of poor form.

Yeah, they've been very poor since they shipped on Palacios and Heskey. The kind of slump they are in is the kind of slump that will see them relegated next year unless they do something drastic over the summer. The probable sale of Valencia isn't exactly a positive in that regard.

Utd are full of confidence at the minute and need this, so should be well up for winning whatever physical battles Wigan try to present to them. I expect Wigan to try hard enough for 15 - 20 mins and not have the mental strength necessary to hang in there when they get strung apart the second time by Utd's superior quality. Could be very one sided on the scoreboard by the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Wigan to roll over and get hammered by at least 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Highsider wrote: »
    Wigan to roll over and get hammered by at least 4.

Jesus to weep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Wigans form has taken a nose dive recently (1 win in there last six and 4 losses), so IF United win it won't be about them rolling over it will be about them keeping up their current form and United keeping up theirs (won their last six).

I expect a fairly strong team for this one, with a couple of changes from the weekend.

VDS
    O'Shea---Rio/Evans
    Vidic---Evra
    Carrick---Scholes----
    Ronaldo
    Nani
    Rooney--Berbatov

We will go with the strongest backline available. If Rio and Evans are both out then O'Shea moves infield and Neville (as captain) will play right back.

Midfield will completely change apart from Ronaldo. I believe he was taken off at the weekend so he could start tonight. I know people will crucify me for Nani starting but I will explain why in a minute.

Rooney comes in for Tevez with Berbatov starting up top with him.

Now regarding Nani starting and not Giggs or Park. I think on Saturday we will see a small test run of the team for the CL final apart from Giggs. I don't expect Giggs to start another game until Rome.

On Saturday I expect.

Back line
    --Fletcher-Carrick-Anderson--
    Park
    Rooney
    Ronaldo

So I am resting Fletcher, Anderson, and Park for Saturday. Rooney had a rest at the weekend along with Carrick, and Ronaldo had a slight rest and a strop. :)

So everyone should get a nice rest while we still put out teams able to get the points required. Against Hull I see a shadow side put out once the points are wrapped up on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That kind of an article, while it may be overstated, really takes takes the piss out of ALL football fans who pay money to watch their team play.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the chairmens comments because in all honest who cares what he says is anything that Bruce said that wrong.

"We have been on easy street for a few weeks now,'' admitted Bruce. "It will be difficult because United are the best team in the world.'' Correct.

We were trying a few things in training and we just had to stop because he (Ferguson) could make six or seven changes,'' Bruce said. "Their squad is that good it doesn't affect them. I was at their game at Middlesbrough when all my staff were laughing. He made seven changes bringing in Giggs, Scholes and Berbatov and the list goes on. Correct, Hard to prepare for a team when you don't know what team is showing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nope, but those comments from Whelan are really shocking. this is the man who signs the players cheques! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nope, but those comments from Whelan are really shocking. this is the man who signs the players cheques! :rolleyes:

I thought it was a piss-take!

Mr Alan wrote: »

Just shows how desperate Liverpool fans are, blaming the Wigan chairman for the fact that they haven't won yet another league title.

Here's a rolleyes back at you

rolleyes1rb0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

des, i ain't saying Wigan are planning on rolling over.

just that the comments are a bit mad, which they clearly are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Those comments from Whelan are loco, if I was a Wigan fan reading that I would be devastated, this is the guy bankrolling the club so his ambitions give you an indication of where the club might end up.

He sounds happy enough coming 10th to 13th from that article and happy to see his mates do well.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Those comments from Whelan are loco, if I was a Wigan fan reading that I would be devastated, this is the guy bankrolling the club so his ambitions give you an indication of where the club might end up.

He sounds happy enough coming 10th to 13th from that article and happy to see his mates do well.

I would have thought most Wigan supporters are f*ckin delighted with that kind of position.

Realistic more like.

He knows he doesn't have the money to shoot for the stars, so why pretend oherwise?

A team like Wigan should be happy with consolidation in the PL and possibly pushing on for UEAF Cup place some time in the future.

In the current climate, there is no way Whelan could afford to even aspire to any kind of super-heights.

The fact that Wigan are even in the PL, and looking like surviving for a decent stretch should make the average Wigan fan piss his pants, imo.

I'd be happy for now but wouldn't be too hopeful for the future, if you sit back and look at the Premier League at the moment, outside the top 4 it is competitive as bejaysus, virtually any team from 5th to 15th can win any game between them.

If I was a Wigan fan, I'd be gutted that Heskey and Palacios have left, with Valencia looking to follow when a Fulham side containing Diomansy Kamara and Dickson Etuhu are fighting for Europe.

They have a great chance to fight for 8th to 5th in my opinion, or did before selling off their best players and this kind of lack of ambition from Whelan is another kick in the gonads for the fans.

Then again, I suppose he isn't making as much in his sports shops now that there is a recession.

They aren't unambitious!

The ambition is to stay in the PL.

They have achieved that, which is why Bruce said the following
    Since guaranteeing Premier League safety, Wigan have taken the foot off the accelerator, coasting towards the summer recess.

"We have been on easy street for a few weeks now,'' admitted Bruce.

ANY Wigan fan who has ideas over and above this is a deluded fool.

They do enough, they'll probably buy in a couple of more South American no-names this summer and sell them on again for profit.

Bruce and his team certainly know how to pick up unpolished gems.

No point dragging on the discussion any further and derailing the topic, my point is just that you'd be disappointed with the mentality of the chairman as it doesn't bode well for future seasons. I think you are spot on for this season, their ambition is and should have been survival, as Bruce quite rightly said.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A team like Wigan should be happy with consolidation in the PL and possibly pushing on for UEAF Cup place some time in the future

That'll be difficult! :D
    It'll be the Europa League soon. I remember when it was all fields...

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to the match tonight. There should be a few goals to celebrate anyway.

Heart says 1-1
    Head says 0-2

As for the people saying Wigan will roll over and play dead while Utd run rings around them, think of Liverpool -Blackburn '95.

And as for Whelans comments, think Roy Hodgson's comments pre united game a few months ago. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

team

VDS

JOS--Evans--Vida-- Evra

Carrick--Scholes--Anderson

Ronaldo--Berba--Rooney

Subs:

Giggs
    Neville
    Tevez
    PIG