Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Photography Course,

• 12-05-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have just had a very interesting e-mail from a well known English Wedding Photographer. He usualy only gives courses in U.K. but I emailed him to ask if he would be interested in doing it in Ireland as no one does it here. The answer was that Iif I could find a venue in Dublin, and 12 people to enroll, he would come over and do a coures in Ireland.
    So, if any of you are interested in enrolling in a course for this, please contact me via e-mail at, [email]mick_lumley(at)msn.com[/email] and if any one knows a smallis venue that can be used, let me know.

1st com, 1st served, as I know there could be a lot of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You'll find that DigitalBeginners run wedding photography courses.

Of course, it would help to know who this "well known English wedding photographer" is, before people might express their interest. They may or may not like his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

You may get a bit more genuine interest if you included more information..

who is the photographer?

what is the likely cost of the training? Some people may not realize how expensive a day by a top photographer can cost.

who is it for? beginners / pros?

what will be covered? What type of training is it (lecture / hands on)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

eas wrote: »
    You may get a bit more genuine interest if you included more information..

who is the photographer?

what is the likely cost of the training? Some people may not realize how expensive a day by a top photographer can cost.

who is it for? beginners / pros?

what will be covered? What type of training is it (lecture / hands on)?

His name is Nick Stubbs and any information that you want can be got from his site www.all-things-photography.com .He has done weddings from small family ones to one where Girlsalloud were the evening entertainment, that wedding was £500000+ and he was flown to Italy to do it. So he must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nk12

I would be interested if the figures were right!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

mlumley wrote: »
    that wedding was £500000+ and he was flown to Italy to do it. So he must be good.

Pints in Cafe en Seine are €6.50. They must be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

In the UK he charges £195 per day from the looks of things:
    http://www.all-things-photography.com/wedding-photography-courses.html

Just because he's a good photographer (I'm not saying that he is or isn't), doesn't mean he's a good teacher.

So, £190 for a day, which would then work out at a min of €250 here (conversion plus added bit for travel/accommodation).

Maybe this DigitalBeginners course would be of interest to people. - Wedding course

Paulw wrote: »
    Just because he's a good photographer (I'm not saying that he is or isn't), doesn't mean he's a good teacher.

So, £190 for a day, which would then work out at a min of €250 here (conversion plus added bit for travel/accommodation).

Maybe this DigitalBeginners course would be of interest to people. - Wedding course

DB course is €175 for 4 hours.
    Look I'll email him and ask for full spec on the course. And as for the comment that it doesnt mean hes a good teacher, have a look at his DVD's. I have them, they are good. I want the course to back up what I've learnt in theory. Hey, if you aren't interested, you arnt interested, some other people are.

http://www.all-things-photography.com/wedding-photography-courses.html As you'll see here, you also get the 4 dvd set for future reference. Do digital beginners give that as well??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

mlumley wrote: »
    Hey, if you aren't interested, you arnt interested, some other people are.

Be a bit mindful of snapping at posters when you open a thread. PaulW wasn't having a go at you from my reading of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll find that DigitalBeginners run wedding photography courses.

They do alright, from what I understand they run them in Cork, Galway and Dublin.....I did one back in 2007, I was abit ill-prepared at the time and it was cold as hell but enjoyable none the less.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Be a bit mindful of snapping at posters when you open a thread. PaulW wasn't having a go at you from my reading of it.

I'm not snapping, just saying.If hes not interested, fine.

Pints in Cafe en Seine are €6.50. They must be good.

No need for the sacasum, I'm only trying to put something to people that they might be interested in.

I'm sure if you give actual details, people will be able to give a better idea if they are interested or not.

Details like - price, location, who the course is aimed at, what is required, is it hands-on or lecture, when it'll be held, etc.

Without those basic details, you won't get much positive response.

The DigitalBeginners course has been done by a number of members here on boards, and already comes highly recommended. It's just another option for people looking for that same teaching/experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I'd pull that e-mail address from your original post if you don't want it picked up by web spiders who will add you to spam mailing lists.

I'm sure if you give actual details, people will be able to give a better idea if they are interested or not.

Details like - price, location, who the course is aimed at, what is required, is it hands-on or lecture, when it'll be held, etc.

Without those basic details, you won't get much positive response.

The DigitalBeginners course has been done by a number of members here on boards, and already comes highly recommended. It's just another option for people looking for that same teaching/experience.

The course is just one full day at the moment, the course I did for the DVDs was two days but I cannot do that until I know the lie of the land in Ireland with regards to churches and models etc. I have found the one day course enough for most beginners and they have all gone away with the knowledge and confidence to do a good job. The one day course is however, quite intensive and costs £195 whereas a two day course would be more like £295-£345. I cover preparation, kit, lighting, RAW and JPEG, shooting the wedding from start to finish, presentation of images, final output and a bit of marketing and business. We start at 9am and finish around 6pm with lunch and tea/coffees in between, I guess 8 hours is the max. Bear in mind also that all attendees get a copy of the Blueprint DVDs so that adds value too. I do not use models, churches etc on the one day course for a couple of reasons. Firstly, time. When you take into account the time to shift everyone to a church, set things up and then get back again, half the day is gone. Secondly, models know how to pose so when a newbie to wedding photography comes across a difficult bride, they can be stumped. I recommend participants grab a couple of friends and use them as "target practice", even in a church if available but I teach all that on the course...along with camera and flash settings etc.

Thats the email I got, if your interested, contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just an update on this. I did the IOP (Digital Beginners) wedding photography beginners course at Leixlip today. Would recommend it. While it wouldn't be for the more advanced on this forum (I've only been using the DSLR in Manual for 12 months, so consider myself a novice), it was great to get a feel for a real wedding.

I've done several family wedding DVDs, so it was nice to break out the 450D and see it from the other side.

I would highly recommend it. Both Dave and Niall are sound chaps and answered all questions with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would agree with Freddie, I did this course many moons ago and now do them for a living, great advice on the course.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Just an update on this. I did the IOP (Digital Beginners) wedding photography beginners course at Leixlip today. Would recommend it. While it wouldn't be for the more advanced on this forum (I've only been using the DSLR in Manual for 12 months, so consider myself a novice), it was great to get a feel for a real wedding.

I've done several family wedding DVDs, so it was nice to break out the 450D and see it from the other side.

I would highly recommend it. Both Dave and Niall are sound chaps and answered all questions with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I also did the IOP (Digital Beginners) course today. I too am a complete Amature, but from my quick glance at some of the photos I took today, Im well proud of myself, one or two look like they are straight out of a magazine.
    The models were great at posing for us, and they were happy to pose for you. The guys running the course were very helpful anytime I had any questions or queries.

Id def recommend the course, it was put together very well. Now have to start saving for my new lenses and extra memory, cause boy did I eat up my memory today, been so trigger happy. I will be looking out for similar courses ran by this team in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 queeves

Hi everyone,

I am really trying to find someone to take photos at our wedding in July 2010 in Cloghan Castle, Galway (outside Loughrea).

We have already totally overstepped our budget. We more or less decided that we would do our own photos as my dad used to be a professional photographer but he no longer has any of the equipment or even a good camera.

Does anyone know anyone or would anyone be interested in taking our photos for the wedding, even if only for an hour or so? We would pay it's just we really can't afford the 1,000 euro and up we have been quoted...

Any help or suggestions would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

queeves wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am really trying to find someone to take photos at our wedding in July 2010 in Cloghan Castle, Galway (outside Loughrea).

We have already totally overstepped our budget. We more or less decided that we would do our own photos as my dad used to be a professional photographer but he no longer has any of the equipment or even a good camera.

Does anyone know anyone or would anyone be interested in taking our photos for the wedding, even if only for an hour or so? We would pay it's just we really can't afford the 1,000 euro and up we have been quoted...

Any help or suggestions would be great!

if you don't get sorted, pm me. I can lend your dad a D90 if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 queeves

tbh wrote: »
    if you don't get sorted, pm me. I can lend your dad a D90 if you like.

Thanks so much, I'll suggest this to him and see what he thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nk12

I have packages from €650 feel free to get in touch ..
    many thanks
    Nicky

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Any final details on this course OP ? Or is it done and dusted ?

Advertisement