Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

Options
  • 12-05-2009 11:56am

Just a quick question, one that I need some confirmation on: wouldn't it be safe to leave out Equilibrium and pH, Water, and Rates of Reaction from the chemistry course? With so many options on the paper, wouldn't it be possible to avoid these topics? Only definite answers, please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Hello there -Jammy, haven't seen you here in a while!

Anyway.

I really don't think it'd be safe for Section A, no.
    There's mandatory experiments in Equilibrium, there's a few in water AND there's a few in Rates. A few of the water ones are titrations (Finding the amount of dissolved oxygen in water, for example) so you could be left having only ONE option in the section- disastrous.

In Section B though, I'd say you could probably get away with it.
    Water and pH often come up together. However, Equilibrium comes up as a full question all too often and so does rates, so you could be left with absolutely no option.
    Not to mention Q4, it could have bits of all those in it, so, y'know.

Rates of reactions is a pretty easy question, it wouldn't be too hard to just at least cover that one for Section B.

Hopefully I'm right in everything I'm saying here. Pretty sure I am!
    Good luck in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

As the last reply said you could easily get caught out on section A water could be the titration question along with rates. You are also narrowing your options down too much in Section B. Check out rates again at the very least it is one of the easies chapters on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

I doubt you could there is always a question on le chats and my teacher said that the EDTA exp could come up in section A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Personally, I'm leaving out water. I hate the chapter. I'll go over the basics but I won't bother going in depth since it seems to be only a small part in those choose 2/3 questions. I wouldn't leave out equilibrium or rates though. They can come up as a full question. They aren't that bad if you go over them. It can be quite logical if you think about it. Equilibrium is mainly Le Chatellier's and finding Kc. For rates, just know the factors that affect rate, collision theory and the different types and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Just a quick question, one that I need some confirmation on: wouldn't it be safe to leave out Equilibrium and pH, Water, and Rates of Reaction from the chemistry course? With so many options on the paper, wouldn't it be possible to avoid these topics? Only definite answers, please. Thanks.

Kinda bizarre things to leave out really when they are relatively easy to cover? Nobody seems to like water? Why? Its so ****ing easy! Just learn the stuff off!

We have left out electrochemistry and the option ( its a bollox that either option could come up from the industial and environmental ). We will have at least 10 asnwerable questions on the paper if not the 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

Defo would go over them, sit don and get them out of the way!! They are not that actually hard in relation to other topics! It will prevent you regretting not doing them on the day! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Like many I'm leaving out water, and I won't do question 5 or the option, but thats only half a question anyway. But I mean you'll nearly get a full question out of rates and/or equilibrium, and there is a pretty good chance you will see either of those in Q3 as well.

Of all sections to leave out I dont know if those would be the best ones. Also equilibrium and pH comes up with Acids and Bases so you could be making things awkward for yourself.

It isn't like they are the worst chapters either, they would be my favourites like. But thats just a matter of personal opinion.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Hey bythewoods, yeah it's been a while since I've been on this: kind of lost my addiction to boards!

See, my plan was to only cover the titration and organic chemistry experiments, then answer question one and two (I wasn't going to bother with question three unless it was tests for anions or one or two others). The thing is I've never actually covered equilibrium or rates of reaction (although I know they're not hard from what I've seen quickly looking over them), so I suppose I better cover them. I'm definitely not going to bother doing water: I just find it too boring. I was just trying to be lazy in lessening the amount I've to learn. Thanks for your replies guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

If you are planning on doing titration question but leaving out water be careful check out water experiments could easily be on as the titration one this year.. hasen't been up for a while

Advertisement