Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in cork?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all

Bit of help needed please? I am moving to Cork shortly for a new job, and I'll be working in Blackpool. Would like to live in a nice busy area, or in the city if near enough. I would like to be fairly near work but will be driving. Any info gratefully accepted!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Why not consider Mallow.

20 min drive to Blackpool. Straight all the way.

Mallow is lovely and has plenty of amentities and shops Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes Tesco Etc.

Cheaper Houses to Rent or Buy than in the City
    Hi all

Bit of help needed please? I am moving to Cork shortly for a new job, and I'll be working in Blackpool. Would like to live in a nice busy area, or in the city if near enough. I would like to be fairly near work but will be driving. Any info gratefully accepted!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Traffic is a killer going to and from Mallow...how about Glanmire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Blackpool is pretty near the city centre and city centre rents have fallen in recent months so why not there? I'd avoid those country towns like the plague tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

simu wrote: »
    Blackpool is pretty near the city centre and city centre rents have fallen in recent months so why not there? I'd avoid those country towns like the plague tbh :P

I agree, should be no reason why you head out to towns outside the city if you are renting. Plenty to choose from in the city centre and in the surronding area's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Hoping for somewhere near but also nice to live, I think Mallow is a bit far for me and I would like to meet people so being in teh city somewhere is essential! Thanks though :)

What's Blackpool like as an area to live in? Or has anyone lived in the city centre on that side, is it a good place to be?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

i'd avoid blackpool... i've never lived in the city centre but if i was going to then i'd look for something around douglas street, barrack street evergreen street type of area... only problem with barrack street and evergreen street is you have to walk uphill to get out of town.

T

Edit: I'm not suggesting you live on those streets but around them if you know what i mean, they can be noisy at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How about Buttevant? I hear its lovely at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Just moved north of the river for the first time.
    I have to say i like it. There are plenty of new apartments around blackpool so rent should be good value.
    The barracks street area is probably the best area to live in near the city centre.
    Watch out for parking, its a pain like most city centres.

The best place to live would be the bar garden in Tom Barrys

Buttevant... pffff....

I am from near Charleville (Limerick side) , so stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes! It's only the city I don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

What's Blackpool like as an area to live in? Or has anyone lived in the city centre on that side, is it a good place to be?

Thanks

Blackpool is grand, there are some nice apartments around the area with parking facilities, it's within walking distance from town and if you lived there you could walk to work and save petrol money!! Also it's practically on the link road so if your going anywhere it's handy!!
    The only downside with getting a place right in the city centre is parking, so blackpool is definitely a good choice! I wouldn't go with barrack street or evergreen street etc, parking around those areas is very bad! Also if your planning on driving to work the traffic coming through the city will be a nightmare!! Although you could probably walk from barrack street to blackpool in... 30 mins??

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Dob74;60210720}

The best place to live would be the bar garden in Tom Barrys[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, see you there!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You can get parking in the city centre, it's not that tough if you find a decent apt block.

I heard that there might be one or two apts for rent in the Elysian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

I lived in Blackpool for a while and loved it! Theres lots of really great apartments there and its close to everything you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

And there's a Dinos.

Bill-e wrote: »
    And there's a Dinos.

But Dinos should be avoided at all costs. Worst chippers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Agree, the Dinos is nothing like the real chipper of the same name in Turners Cross, very poor.

Just remember that if the apartment block has its own parking and a space doesn't come with the apartment you will either have to rent a space in the block's parking or pay for street parking as under city rules you are not eligible to get a parking permit.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Try St Lukes - 5 mins to the city (20 mins back :rolleyes:) and a lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

shnaek wrote: »
    Try St Lukes - 5 mins to the city (20 mins back :rolleyes:) and a lovely spot.

Agree but no parking and the place is up in a heap at the moment moving the toll booth.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

There's Sundays Well also which isn't far away and there is also Shanakiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Why not consider Mallow.

20 min drive to Blackpool. Straight all the way....

Yes, but getting from Blackpool to the Opera house will take another 20 minutes :) That is why I never go to Maplin, its so near the city but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I live in Blackpool, its fine. Plenty of shops, and very near the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

How about blackpool itself.

Grand new apartments gone up down by the brewery.

Not sure of the name of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 amz-v-tec

i work in blackpool for the last 2 years im origionally(cant sell the word!:P)from just up the hill from there but moved to bishopstown,mallow,carrignavar now grenagh id advise stay as close as u can!

i agree dinos is HORRIBLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

at this time of year you might be able to pick up a deal close to UCC - lots of students moving out

but you'd be mad not to stay around blackpool - busses in the city are a nightmare at any time of day - its not worth the stress
    besdies - blackpool is on flat ground - you can walk to the city centre in 10- mins without breaking a sweat

my mechanics downs there so I walk in when I'm changing things and without the car for the day

the surrounding areas like holyhill the glen and mayfield are more for familys - and you need thick skin too - I still wouldn't leave the area though - I mean you actually see people instead of merc..merc..bmw...range rover

Advertisement