Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance claim for missed flight

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

I have VHI multi trip travel insurance. I was away last week and missed a flight entirely through my own fault. I got another flight later that day which cost ~€150.

Does anyone know if it's covered, if there's an excess and if the premium would go up in future because I claimed?

Basically can I claim and is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you missed the flight, by your own fault, you can't claim on insurance, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Paulw wrote: »
    If you missed the flight, by your own fault, you can't claim on insurance, as far as I'm aware.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Ring them and ask?

Responses here are likely to be opinion, and may or may not have any relevance to the way VHI would treat your claim...

Section 10, f of the miltitrip terms state that you are not covered - Claims due to Your allowing insufficient time to complete Your journey to the departure point including points of departure for international connections. You should adhere to recommended check-in times on the travel tickets.

Document can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Section 10, f of the miltitrip terms state that you are not covered - Claims due to Your allowing insufficient time to complete Your journey to the departure point including points of departure for international connections. You should adhere to recommended check-in times on the travel tickets.

Document can be found here.

That's not what happened though. I was there in plenty of time and waiting. What happened was I was reading the paper and rather than announce the flight over the intercom, a woman who I didn't hear called out the destination. It was a very small flight so there were only about ten people queueing. They got on the bus and left and I didn't even notice until the bus was pulling off.

I ran immediately to the check in desk and they basically weren't arsed to help me even though the plane was still there and wasn't going to be leaving for while yet.

It does say here that missed departures are covered:
    http://www.vhi.ie/info/travelinsurance/buynow.jsp#summary

I'd rather not ring them before I know what I'm talking about tbh. Does anyone know for sure if that circumstance would be covered?

• Advertisement

But, YOU missed the flight because YOU weren't paying attention. Your ticket, or travel conditions, would state that you must listen for the call to board. I doubt it would state that the call must be made over the PA, rather than someone just calling out.

I can't see them entertaining your claim. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Page 18 of the terms, regarding missed departures, says you can only claim if it's due to:
    • Breakdown or accident involving the car in which You are travelling; or
    • Cancellation or curtailment of scheduled public transport due to adverse weather conditions, Strike or Industrial Action or mechanical
    breakdown, derangement or accident;

So it looks like that's a no. You may be able to claim off the airline for not making a proper announcement, and not doing anything to get you to the plane, even though you were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But, YOU missed the flight because YOU weren't paying attention.

Well if it was car insurance I could well crash my car because I wasn't paying attention and they'd generally still cover it. I thought that was the point of insurance
    jor el wrote: »
    Page 18 of the terms, regarding missed departures, says you can only claim if it's due to:

So it looks like that's a no. You may be able to claim off the airline for not making a proper announcement, and not doing anything to get you to the plane, even though you were there.

Thanks. I don't think I'll bother with the airline tbh. They'll just fob me off again with some bs about procedure. Technically they didn't have to help me

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Well if it was car insurance I could well crash my car because I wasn't paying attention and they'd generally still cover it. I thought that was the point of insurance

Unfortunately, the insurance schemes are very different.

Travel insurance is generally for medical issues, or problems outside your control.

If you have a look at the insurance document, you will see that you are unable to claim.

Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement