Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local elections - trim

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

just wondering how people will be voting, I know FF aren't a favorite at the moment but seeing as these are local elections should you still vote for who you think will be able to get things done around the Town (Trim), even though nationally you wouldn't think twice...

i was thinking about going with FF locally and perhaps even going for a new candidate... in trim ronan mckenna..

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If I had to vote FF, then I'd go with Paddy Rispin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Where can you get a list of all the candidates in the Meath constitunencies? I live in Robinstown and I'm not sure who my candidates are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

nodrog wrote: »
    just wondering how people will be voting, I know FF aren't a favorite at the moment but seeing as these are local elections should you still vote for who you think will be able to get things done around the Town (Trim), even though nationally you wouldn't think twice...

i was thinking about going with FF locally and perhaps even going for a new candidate... in trim ronan mckenna..

Is he related to Noel Dempsey? ( Ireland's most incompetent politician)

Ireland and Trim has had enough of FF.

No way would I even consider voting for anyone remotely associated with the crooks ( including the greens!)We will all be paying for Dempsey's f**k-up on e-voting for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nodrog

spadder wrote: »

No way would I even consider voting for anyone remotely associated with the crooks ( including the greens!)We will all be paying for Dempsey's f**k-up on e-voting for a long time.

Why do you say that Trim has had enough of FF? I though they have done a lot in the town??

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

This candidate is engaged to Noel Dempsey's daughter, AFAIK. Is the OP in breach of the boards.ie rules for spamming/advertising?

• Advertisement

This candidate is engaged to Noel Dempsey's daughter, AFAIK. Is the OP in breach of the boards.ie rules for spamming/advertising?

Why would I be in breach of the rules? I am not spamming or advertising, merely asking peoples opinions!

And yes I think he is engaged to ND's daughter.

Why would I be in breach of the rules? I am not spamming or advertising, merely asking peoples opinions!

And yes I think he is engaged to ND's daughter.

Looking at the link to his site that you so helpfully provided us with to canvass our opinions, it would appear that the man hides his party allegiance very well, with one of the smallest Fianna Fail logos on a candidate site.

Let's debate is he is embarrassed to be a member of FF or not? I'd have to say "Yes". What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

That's not a bad idea he has - of using his website as a noticeboard for unemployed people to offer their services. Also, the volunteer notices for community groups.
    Usually they just trot out vague aspirational stuff about working for the people and its meaningless IMO but at least he is coming up with some new ideas.
    I think anyone who gets involved in politics, fair play to them instead of sitting on their arses giving out. Good to see fresh new faces.
    I don't know what way I'll vote yet.
    Would like to hear what the other canditates are doing, besides the usual church gate collections and door-to-door canvassing. I've better things to be doing with my time than answering the door to them when I'm trying to cook the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

According to MiCandidate Trim Town Council will be *blessed* with the choice of the following;

Butler, Ray Fine Gael
    Cantwell, Philip Independent
    Fay, Willie Fine Gael
    Lynch, Caroline Sinn Féin
    McHugh, Vincent Fianna Fáil
    McKenna, Ronan Fianna Fáil
    O'Brien, Donall The Labour Party
    O'Shea, James The Labour Party
    Peppard, Cynthia Fianna Fáil
    Reilly, Gerard Fine Gael
    Rispin, Patrick Fianna Fáil

Can't vouch for the accuracy of the list but it seems to match the posters up around the place. I'm guessing that there are more to formally declare.

I think i've also seen posters for Trevor Golden and had heard that Dónall O'Brien was also running.

If anyone is wondering who the current bunch are - they can be found here.

Ever wonder what they actually do or what the record of the existing bunch are? Have a look here - only 2008 / no sign of 2009 (post if you have found them).

Maybe we should run a boardsie candidate? ;) About 20 number 1 preferences should secure you :rolleyes: (said with tongue in cheek) - though with a quota of 270 - well...... hmmnnnn........

Count details from 2004 can be found here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Why do you say that Trim has had enough of FF? I though they have done a lot in the town??
    That he has. Look at Trim GAA club, the new swimming pool, the Trim Navan and Trim Kilcock roads and the Trim Dublin road. A grand bus park and ride. Proposals to move Páirc Táilteann halfway to Trim :D

If Noel Dempsey was living in Navan, we'd have no tolls on the M3, a railway, new GAA, Rugby, soccer pitches, the ramparts walk would be completed, a bus station, upgrade of the Navan Drogheda road(s). A public park. It would be heaven.. :) Unfortunately, he doesn't live in Navan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Willie Fay?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Go on ya boy ya Willie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I voted FF in the last general election - namely Noel Dempsey - and like many around the country regret it now. So I probably wont vote for them though it is a local election and I am unsure what to change to.

What I certainly WONT do is vote for this guy McKenna, he may be an ok harmless guy but FF seem to be putting forward people that are related to existing politicians all the time - thus ignoring people with actual talent and experience and have worked their way up to deserve to get on the ticket.

So I would actually urge people that are voting for FF to give it to more established FF candidates not someone marrying into the Dempsey family.

IIMII wrote: »
    That he has. Look at Trim GAA club, the new swimming pool, the Trim Navan and Trim Kilcock roads and the Trim Dublin road. A grand bus park and ride. Proposals to move Páirc Táilteann halfway to Trim :D

If Noel Dempsey was living in Navan, we'd have no tolls on the M3, a railway, new GAA, Rugby, soccer pitches, the ramparts walk would be completed, a bus station, upgrade of the Navan Drogheda road(s). A public park. It would be heaven.. :) Unfortunately, he doesn't live in Navan

Come off it will ya! Its your RIGHT to EXCELLENT roads seeing as you're paying for them with your road tax, regardless of who is elected! The new gym and pool in Trim are not run or owned by the GAA, they're run by the same crowd who have a lovely pool and gym in Navan, Aura. And anyway, how has that got anything to do with politics or ND? Regarding the M3, who do think gave the go-ahead to impose tolls? The minister for transport of course, ND! There IS a railway in Navan, but our good minister wont open it up to passenger rail. There used to be a railway line in Trim, going to Athboy, and joining the Navan-Dublin line in Kilmessan. If he was any good, he'd re-open them too! But of course all that would take euro notes away from the toll bridges!!!! Meath is being carved up for the profit of few to the detrement of many.

Looking at the link to his site that you so helpfully provided us with to canvass our opinions, it would appear that the man hides his party allegiance very well, with one of the smallest Fianna Fail logos on a candidate site.

Let's debate is he is embarrassed to be a member of FF or not? I'd have to say "Yes". What do you think?

I'm sure he's not embarrassed at all to be a FF member, but with all that's going on Nationally I'm not surprised he put in a small FF logo on his site.

I'm sure he's not embarrassed at all to be a FF member, but with all that's going on Nationally I'm not surprised he put in a small FF logo on his site.

Tell us, what's going on nationally?

Tell us, what's going on nationally?

Well the recession for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jf500ni2669

i thought we were talking about local elections in trim. He was at my door a few weeks ago and im going to be voting for Ronan Mckenna im not a ff supporter but i think this man will do every thing he can for Trim.

Willie Fay?
    wats he gonna do for trim

wats he gonna do for trim

What is Ronan McKenna going to do for Trim? What has he done in the past to indicate that he will bring anything to the table?

Not trying to slag the guy off unfairly but the first I ever heard of the guy was various posters of him appearing around the town a few months ago. At least I could say I know who some of the other candidates are.

The fact that he is engaged to Dempsey's daughter doesnt sit well with me. Not too convinced about the support he is getting on this site either - the people supporting him arent exactly established Boards.ie posters!

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    What is Ronan McKenna going to do for Trim? What has he done in the past to indicate that he will bring anything to the table?

Not trying to slag the guy off unfairly but the first I ever heard of the guy was various posters of him appearing around the town a few months ago. At least I could say I know who some of the other candidates are.

The fact that he is engaged to Dempsey's daughter doesnt sit well with me. Not too convinced about the support he is getting on this site either - the people supporting him arent exactly established Boards.ie posters!

...+1, and the fact that he is an auctioneer with plenty of time on his hands right now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There's a good question raised in the previous posts - what are the Local Councillors going to do for Trim. But more to the point - what would you like for them to do for Trim?

Put filter lights in ALL directions at the Lackanash lights. If you're coming from Navangate and you want to turn right onto the ringroad, you're taking your life in your hands! Thats one thing.

Fix the Kinnegad road from Patricks Park to the graveyard, its like driving through a ploughed field.

Market the castle and all the surrounding historical things waaaaay more. Trim has the tourism equivalent of the golden gate bridge slap-bang in the middle of the town with the castle. It really is the biggest, best preserved, and most original castle of its type left on planet Earth! There are a few around Europe (and the rest of Ireland) that are just as old, but they were all lived in until recently and are nowhere near as original! They should have the moat around it and character actors going around in suits of armour fighting Irish natives with swords and giving guided tours!! And Braveheart was filmed there, what more of a plug do they need? The whole centre of the town should be geared towards tourism, I cant understand for the life of me why this is not being exploited, there isn't even a museum in Trim. Look at the crowds Killarney or Bundoran or even Dunderry draw, and they dont have a jewel like Trim does! The council would never have financial woes again.

Re-open the railway. Couldnt believe it when they knocked the railway bridge on the Kells road. Another historical attraction gone forever. Why didnt they just put Lidl in the Oaktree business park? Anyway, re-open the railway and extend it on to Athboy and Oldcastle.

On a more national level, all primary schools began teaching Irish after the civil war with the long-term intention of going fully-Gaelscoil someday. Why not start in Trim? There already is the best Gaeltacht in Leinster in Rathcairn, 15 mins drive away, and a thriving Gaelscoil right in Trim town aswell. Why not go gaelic go-leor and take the primary language plunge in Trim? Imagine the fame and coverage THAT would bring for tourism!

I could go on and on, but I'm at work. Must write down all these ideas.

This fella actually has a few good practical ideas. He's running free events for unemployed people and struggling small businesses. In the middle of his campaign. The rest of those egits on the council spend days talking about opening toilets and raising parking rates. It looks like he's also going to have to run against Noel Dempsey's brother frank.Frank is the dark sheep of the family, who is disgruntled with the fact that ronan is being lined up for noel's seat!

Put filter lights in ALL directions at the Lackanash lights. If you're coming from Navangate and you want to turn right onto the ringroad, you're taking your life in your hands! Thats one thing.

Fix the Kinnegad road from Patricks Park to the graveyard, its like driving through a ploughed field.

Market the castle and all the surrounding historical things waaaaay more. Trim has the tourism equivalent of the golden gate bridge slap-bang in the middle of the town with the castle. It really is the biggest, best preserved, and most original castle of its type left on planet Earth! There are a few around Europe (and the rest of Ireland) that are just as old, but they were all lived in until recently and are nowhere near as original! They should have the moat around it and character actors going around in suits of armour fighting Irish natives with swords and giving guided tours!! And Braveheart was filmed there, what more of a plug do they need? The whole centre of the town should be geared towards tourism, I cant understand for the life of me why this is not being exploited, there isn't even a museum in Trim. Look at the crowds Killarney or Bundoran or even Dunderry draw, and they dont have a jewel like Trim does! The council would never have financial woes again.

Re-open the railway. Couldnt believe it when they knocked the railway bridge on the Kells road. Another historical attraction gone forever. Why didnt they just put Lidl in the Oaktree business park? Anyway, re-open the railway and extend it on to Athboy and Oldcastle.

On a more national level, all primary schools began teaching Irish after the civil war with the long-term intention of going fully-Gaelscoil someday. Why not start in Trim? There already is the best Gaeltacht in Leinster in Rathcairn, 15 mins drive away, and a thriving Gaelscoil right in Trim town aswell. Why not go gaelic go-leor and take the primary language plunge in Trim? Imagine the fame and coverage THAT would bring for tourism!

I could go on and on, but I'm at work. Must write down all these ideas.

I agree with you 100% about making the Castle a show piece for Ireland, there should be tour bus after tour bus arriving in the town day after day. There isn't even a gift shop in the town, selling even ornaments of the castle. That shop that has recently open opposite the castle & toilets should be targeted at tourists.

And yeah the roads around and in Trim are an absolute disgrace, this should be one of the first things that needs to get addressed, by the newely elected council. One of the reason why I think its time for fresh young faces in the town council.
    High Street all along by the Style shop, the Lackanash Road by Gort Ni Ri are an absolute disgrace to the town and the road down by Alfco is very dangerous its only a matter of time before someone is killed. And the time it has taken to do Watergate Street is unreal!

But of course all that would take euro notes away from the toll bridges!!!! Meath is being carved up for the profit of few to the detrement of many.

and who is on the board of NTR? Dempseys brother's business partner, Potterton! Ronan Mc Kenna works for potterton afaik.

Edit: Found the link :

http://www.shane-ross.ie/archives/347/m50-directors-unmasked/

Yep, Potterton is on the board

And Ronan woks for potterton

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/ronan-mckenna/

All very cosy, very FF.

This stinks if you ask me.

This fella actually has a few good practical ideas. He's running free events for unemployed people and struggling small businesses. In the middle of his campaign. The rest of those egits on the council spend days talking about opening toilets and raising parking rates. It looks like he's also going to have to run against Noel Dempsey's brother frank.Frank is the dark sheep of the family, who is disgruntled with the fact that ronan is being lined up for noel's seat!

Jaysis JF! 3 posts and all singing praise for a FF lacky. keep pluggin away there!

You know and I know that Fianna fail are a populist party that move in whatever direction is necessary to maximise votes. Unfortunately for all of us this policy could well bankrupt the country.

i am interested in knowing what these events have achieved. considering he is being coached by Noel dempsey I would need a little convincing before I would believe that these efforts were genuine or just some creativity to build up the profile of someone that quite frankly seems to have very little to offer.

I agree with you 100% about making the Castle a show piece for Ireland, there should be tour bus after tour bus arriving in the town day after day. There isn't even a gift shop in the town, selling even ornaments of the castle. That shop that has recently open opposite the castle & toilets should be targeted at tourists.

And yeah the roads around and in Trim are an absolute disgrace, this should be one of the first things that needs to get addressed, by the newely elected council. One of the reason why I think its time for fresh young faces in the town council.
    High Street all along by the Style shop, the Lackanash Road by Gort Ni Ri are an absolute disgrace to the town and the road down by Alfco is very dangerous its only a matter of time before someone is killed. And the time it has taken to do Watergate Street is unreal!

You mightnt realise it but you have answered your own point. There are very very few tourists in the town shopping and looking for momentos of the castle. Very few people from tour buses go around the town. The shops have to stock based on actual demand. The shop itself would have to commission a piece and that is very expensive - especially with the rents people are paying. On top of that, gift shops around the town are struggling as the likes of the golf and other clubs dont buy many prizes in Trim and many people are buying the few articles they do buy in Navan, Blanch and the North.

• Advertisement

Jaysis JF! 3 posts and all singing praise for a FF lacky. keep pluggin away there!

I'm not singing the praises of ff or any other party a young new canditate should be given the chance dont forget the existing councillors have already had five years to complete their promises. I have no ties with any party and i think young blood is the future complacency is a thing of the past n im voting new young blood namely Ronan Mckenna!

Advertisement