Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local elections - trim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'm not singing the praises of ff or any other party a young new canditate should be given the chance dont forget the existing councillors have already had five years to complete their promises. I have no ties with any party and i think young blood is the future complacency is a thing of the past n im voting new young blood namely Ronan Mckenna!

Young blood! He's Dempsey's son-in-law for jaysis sake!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

dixiefly wrote: »
    You mightnt realise it but you have answered your own point. There are very very few tourists in the town shopping and looking for momentos of the castle. Very few people from tour buses go around the town. The shops have to stock based on actual demand. The shop itself would have to commission a piece and that is very expensive - especially with the rents people are paying. On top of that, gift shops around the town are struggling as the likes of the golf and other clubs dont buy many prizes in Trim and many people are buying the few articles they do buy in Navan, Blanch and the North.

Its a chicken and egg situation. Trim has the attraction, but none of the facilities. There surely could be someone who could kick-start the whole thing. ie the council! Offer grants to businesses who aid tourism, get that railway up and running again to bring people directly here, promote the town like hell as a tourist destination. Have Dunderry-fair type events once a week! It's all do-able. The Scurlocstown fair is brilliant, and is cheap to run compared to the return it makes. Navan/Blanch/The North have their retail industries, and by jaysus do they use them! Trim naturally has a tourism goldmine just asking to be dug up. Any non-FF politician who does all this can have my vote.

I'm not singing the praises of ff or any other party a young new canditate should be given the chance dont forget the existing councillors have already had five years to complete their promises. I have no ties with any party and i think young blood is the future complacency is a thing of the past n im voting new young blood namely Ronan Mckenna!

There's Donal O'Brien aswell...............

There's Donal O'Brien aswell...............

He's Labour? i googled him, came up with nothing. What's his backround?

Not sure. He's brand new on the scene afaik. Just saying if its non-FF young blood your looking for, he's an option:o

• Advertisement

nodrog wrote: »
    Why do you say that Trim has had enough of FF? I though they have done a lot in the town??

Apart from all the corruption and family-cosiness, here's another reason NOT to vote FF

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566501

Apart from all the corruption and family-cosiness, here's another reason NOT to vote FF

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566501

Read that thread, I can understand the anger of the parents of sick kids, BTW I saw signs up for a FF fundrasier in Trim tomorow. The cheek of the them! I'm going down to give the b@stards an earfull and I want to see what gimps hand over their hard earned cash to these crooks.

Might do the same meself. When and where?

Might do the same meself. When and where?

Saw the signs, I presume it's a church gate collection.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

spadder wrote: »
    He's Labour? i googled him, came up with nothing. What's his backround?

In keeping with keeping things in the family - he is Danny O'Brien's (Labour Councillor) son.
    Another dynasty begins.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Also Nessa Childers - grand daughter of president Erskine Childers.

Does anyone else think Ronan MccKenna has a threatening look about him? Kinda like a thuggish bouncer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

Is this McKenna guy even from the town of Trim? No he's from out the summerhill way..Went to shool in Dundalk and hasn't even been living in the town for years but as soon as he gets engaged to Dempseys daughter he's running for election?? Not my cup of tea, heard many a story about him and I for one will NOT be voting for him. If you want your town ruined then go ahead ruin it and vote FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nodrog

risteard85 wrote: »
    Is this McKenna guy even from the town of Trim? No he's from out the summerhill way..Went to shool in Dundalk and hasn't even been living in the town for years but as soon as he gets engaged to Dempseys daughter he's running for election?? Not my cup of tea, heard many a story about him and I for one will NOT be voting for him. If you want your town ruined then go ahead ruin it and vote FF.

Yeah he's from Trim Town, lives in Trim - actually owns a house in Lackanash for a number of years. He's very much a Trim man, he may come from out Summerhill direction but has lived in Trim for a number of years.
    He's taken part in many Trim Drama and Trim Musical Society productions, he's on the Trim Celtic Committee, part of the Trim Chamber of Commerce and also involved in the Trim Swift Festival so I'd say he's very much in touch with what's going on in Trim and what's wrong with it.

This is a local election and in my opinion a local election is all about the local candidate and what they can do for your town, you elect the person, not the party.

Vote McKenna #1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rmf16

Does anyone else think Ronan MccKenna has a threatening look about him? Kinda like a thuggish bouncer?

This is a ludicrous statement to be making.

He has been one of the nicest, more genuine people to have canvassed at my door in many a year and will certainly be getting my vote.

It’s about time that we had a young Trim Man stepping up and putting himself forward to listen to the views of the town and trying to do something about it.

I know who will be getting my vote.

VOTE # 1, VOTE RONAN MCKENNA

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Yeah he's from Trim Town, lives in Trim - actually owns a house in Lackanash for a number of years. He's very much a Trim man, he may come from out Summerhill direction but has lived in Trim for a number of years.
    He's taken part in many Trim Drama and Trim Musical Society productions, he's on the Trim Celtic Committee, part of the Trim Chamber of Commerce and also involved in the Trim Swift Festival so I'd say he's very much in touch with what's going on in Trim and what's wrong with it.

This is a local election and in my opinion a local election is all about the local candidate and what they can do for your town, you elect the person, not the party.

Vote McKenna #1.

Welcome back, Ronan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

rmf16 wrote: »

It’s about time that we had a young Trim Man stepping up and putting himself forward to listen to the views of the town and trying to do something about it.
    About time was 5 years ago when a 24 yr old was elected and did well too. mckenna is 29?

Is the op Ronan? Sad way to get feedback on yourself...
    ABMCK

He has been one of the nicest, more genuine people to have canvassed at my door in many a year and will certainly be getting my vote.

I know who will be getting my vote.

VOTE # 1, VOTE RONAN MCKENNA

Hi Ronan,

If I vote for you, can I get appointed to NTR like your buddy Potterton ? Please, I really need the money, and I promise to learn everything about toll roads very quickly.

By the way, while we have you here,

what's your father-in-law planning to do with the e-voting computers? (must be very embarrassing for him)

Is he still using Trim GAA pitch as his personal heli-pad?

Welcome back, Ronan....

Ha funny, but no I am not Ronan..

spadder wrote: »
    Hi Ronan,

If I vote for you, can I get appointed to NTR like your buddy Potterton ? Please, I really need the money, and I promise to learn everything about toll roads very quickly.

By the way, while we have you here,

what's your father-in-law planning to do with the e-voting computers? (must be very embarrassing for him)

Is he still using Trim GAA pitch as his personal heli-pad?

And wasn't it Martin Cullen who was responsible for the e-voting disaster as far as I can tell and not Minister Dempsey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_in_Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Can everyone please try and keep it civil and slander free or I may be forced to close the thread.

Thanks.

And wasn't it Martin Cullen who was responsible for the e-voting disaster as far as I can tell and not Minister Dempsey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_in_Ireland

No,

"The machines have cost the country in the region of €54m. The system was introduced by Noel Dempsey while he was Minister for the Environment."

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwkfmhgb&cat=news

edit: and the best bit

“It compounds the fiasco of this government – a litany of bad decisions. Noel Dempsey’s retort in 2004 said it all...’it’s only €40 or €50m.’”

Does anyone here know this chap?

http://www.labour.ie/jamesoshea/

he hasn't called to me, I'd like to talk to him before June, all i know about him is from his flyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

Maybe the moderator should step in here. This thread has descended into a bit of slanderpit.

Is it any wonder that young people don't get involved in politics? When you have people, wallowing in their own cynicism, reflecting whatever slander they read without thinking, splurging out whatever bile comes to mind, like those ghouls in I am Legend. The greatest tragedy of the internet is that it gave people with no capacity for independent thought, like spadder, a forum to plumb the shallows of their mind publicaly.

McKenna is obviously ambitious. Is that wrong for a politician?

O'Shea's father is a Councillor also. Both are probably capable of contributing at the town council level such is the paucity of talent and insight at that level. Golden is another young candidate who is trying to go places.

He's marrying into the Dempsey family. I'm sorry but is it more likely that he actually might love the girl? It's seems a bit prepostorous that a young man from Meath is willing to bite his tongue and spend the rest of his life with someone he doesn't like just to get into a political family. Any man who is capable of that deserves to be a TD!!! Grow up, will you for God's sake. This isn't Dynasty. I suggest you leave your room and actually go out an talk to people and live in the real world.

Anyone interested in discussing what these candidates intend to do and whether we believe they will do it? You know...like an election....I can explain how that works if you've never participated in a propear debate where you have to responsibly discuss issues.

one more thing..
    The voting machines...they cost 54million. 70% was storage costs after the things were torpedoed. It would have been a one off cost.

The cost of running election counts in every constituencies until the country enters the 21st century will be far in excess of that.

The things ran in a pilot in meath and two other counties and they go 90% approval ratings FROM THE VOTERS. They work. India's first non-violent election with a population of over a billion ran on e-voting machines.

The mistake with the voting machines was that the Government did not bring the oppposition along with it, and presented it as a fait accompli to them, believeing that popular support was behind them.

They arrongantly didn't consider that the opposition would so fiercely oppose a technological solution that helped democracy. Do any of you actually know who PRSTV works? If you did you'd vote for the Evoting machines everytime.

I find it deeply ironic that people typing away on computers are opposed to evoting machines. I guess it's another example of someone who has no ideas and is willing to sideline their own principals to run someone down into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Maybe the moderator should step in here. This thread has descended into a bit of slanderpit.

Is it any wonder that young people don't get involved in politics? When you have people, wallowing in their own cynicism, reflecting whatever slander they read without thinking, splurging out whatever bile comes to mind, like those ghouls in I am Legend. The greatest tragedy of the internet is that it gave people with no capacity for independent thought, like spadder, a forum to plumb the shallows of their mind publicaly.

O'Shea's father is a Councillor also. Both are probably capable of contributing at the town council level such is the paucity of talent and insight at that level. Golden is another young candidate who is trying to go places.

He's marrying into the Dempsey family. I'm sorry but is it more likely that he actually might love the girl? It's seems a bit prepostorous that a young man from Meath is willing to bite his tongue and spend the rest of his life with someone he doesn't like just to get into a political family. Any man who is capable of that deserves to be a TD!!! Grow up, will you for God's sake. This isn't Dynasty. I suggest you leave your room and actually go out an talk to people and live in the real world.

Anyone interested in discussing what these candidates intend to do and whether we believe they will do it? You know...like an election....I can explain how that works if you've never participated in a propear debate where you have to responsibly discuss issues.

Another new member of the Dempsey election machine joins boards this week! What you see here Ososincere, is a veiled attempt to curry favour of the voters of Trim by spamming a popular discussion board.

So a debate on issues is out of the question then?
    Are you the people of Trim?
    You should learn to attack the argument not the person you child.

as an aside does anybody know the Stephen Penrose brought to court today in Trim?

I presume you are hoping for me to launch into a tirade with the hope of getting the thread locked, well no I won’t.
    This thread is titled “local elections in Trim” ,I am reasonable new to Trim and I want to know more about the local candidates before I vote. I thought regular board users and Meath residents could discuss the election without the Ronan cheerleaders jumping in every few posts.

It seems there are many 1st time posters here jumping to the defence of the FF candidate and signing up to praise him (like you). This thread obviously isn’t going in the direction you intended, Why didn’t you just set up a “in praise of Ronan” thread?

You say “ McKenna is obviously ambitious. Is that wrong for a politician?” that depends what his ambitions are.

McKenna might be capable and ambitious but he has chosen to align himself with FF. This raises issues for me about integrity and accountability.

I would suggest that anyone who blindly votes FF is incapable of independent thought.

Btw, insulting voters on boards or on the doorstop is not going to win you votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It’s about time that we had a young Trim Man

You may like him but I don't think you can really call him trim ;)

• Advertisement

I understand if you feel set upon.

You've demonstrated your prejudice here by stating that you don't believe a person from FF can show independent thought. You've shown you're anti-FF and not open to a discussion about a puny town council election without trying to attack people.

You fear change. I understand. You are a cyberspace xenophobe - new members are not allowed to join and voice an opinion. Because it might be different from your own or god forbid an FF one..are they not allowed to enter the interweb.

I am a new member to boards. But I'm a member of many. Politics.ie for years. But if you make your concerns about 'new members signing up' to the moderator I'm sure they would be delighted to throw up some barrier to new people signing up. Then you and spadder can spend all your lonely hours spewing forth bile without every having anyone question your thinking or opinions.

Perhaps you're own political persuasion is reflected by your approach to this board...I'd put you down as Libertas/Sinn Fein. but that's allowed. isn't it great. So let's hear what you've to say.

Don't worry the moderator won't shut it down as long as you come back to this thread with a proper opinion.

I hate the type of bullying that you unleashed on the obvious attempt by a FF McKenna crony... but if they're so wrong and you're so established couldn't you debate them out of here.

I don't agree with cheerleaders either, I am, as always, in pursuit of rigourous debate backed up thought out opinions. So nodrog...put an issue into the forum would you...

And spadder, try to have a discussion without dropping in disgusting slander that you wouldn't get away with in the real world.

Advertisement